(Topic ID: 342178)

Best practices for buying used and shipping?

By Thor_Odinson

10 months ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 19 posts
  • 10 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 10 months ago by VALIS666
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

#1 10 months ago

What are the best practices for somebody that wants to buy a used machine and have it shipped? Do you pay all up front before it is shipped and just hope that everything goes smoothly, do people use PayPal or something else, who are considered the best shippers? Thanks!

#2 10 months ago

Best practices are to buy local, even if you have to wait a bit longer to find the machine you are looking for.

Best practice is to pick up the game yourself, transport it yourself.

Best practice is to buy 'cash on the glass'. Pay in cash when you are standing in the presence of the machine you are inviting into your home.

The forums of Pinside are littered with people who didn't see the machine they were buying, and got burned.

Your last post showed that you are nervous about living on the raggedy edge of scumbag pinball sellers. Best advice is to not deal with those people, whatever 'practices' they adopt to ship you crap.

If you aren't comfortable with the person you are doing business with, you are almost certainly on a path to disappointment.

#3 10 months ago
    Quoted from PinRetail:

Best practices are to buy local, even if you have to wait a bit longer to find the machine you are looking for.
    Best practice is to pick up the game yourself, transport it yourself.
    Best practice is to buy 'cash on the glass'. Pay in cash when you are standing in the presence of the machine you are inviting into your home.
    The forums of Pinside are littered with people who didn't see the machine they were buying, and got burned.
    Your last post showed that you are nervous about living on the raggedy edge of scumbag pinball sellers. Best advice is to not deal with those people, whatever 'practices' they adopt to ship you crap.
    If you aren't comfortable with the person you are doing business with, you are almost certainly on a path to disappointment.

Thanks for your advice. I don't currently have any deal in the works.

#4 10 months ago
    Quoted from Thor_Odinson:

Thanks for your advice. I don't currently have any deal in the works.

So, I've been a bit harsh in my responses to you. I apologize.

I hear a lot of good things from https://shipmypinball.com/

If you do a small google search for "pinside best shipping company", you'll get several dozen threads about who is shipping pinballs well, and who is too expensive, and who does a good job and who doesn't.

https://www.google.com/search?q=pinside+best+shipping+company&rlz=1C1EJFA_enUS778US778&oq=pinside+best+shipping+company&gs_lcrp=EgZjaHJvbWUqBggAEEUYOzIGCAAQRRg70gEHNTc1ajBqNKgCALACAA&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8

Doing a similar google search for "pinside best pinball payment method" gets you this:

https://www.google.com/search?q=pinside+best+pinball+payment+method&rlz=1C1EJFA_enUS778US778&oq=pinside+best+pinball+payment&gs_lcrp=EgZjaHJvbWUqBwgDECEYoAEyBggAEEUYOTIHCAEQIRigATIHCAIQIRigATIHCAMQIRigAdIBCTEwNTU1ajBqOagCALACAA&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8#ip=1

This is a pretty frequent topic of discussion, and threads go back many years.

You should be able to get an overview of what Pinside thinks about these issues with the two google searches above.

Hope this helps!

#5 10 months ago

Do you pay all up front before it is shipped and just hope that everything goes smoothly,

Personally I would not ship a game till its completely paid for ?

#6 10 months ago

What are the best practices for somebody that wants to buy a used machine and have it shipped? Do you pay all up front before it is shipped and just hope that everything goes smoothly, do people use PayPal or something else, who are considered the best shippers? Thanks!

Buyer pretty much assumes all the risk. Payment has to be made upfront in full, any damage that occurs during shipping is on the buyer. Buyer should ask for detailed pics and a video of gameplay that shows the current date it is being shot. If it’s misrepresented or shows up not working, the buyer could be left hanging. You should only deal with people that have good reputations, such as many here on pinside where you can check their history/feedback. As for payment, as a seller, I would only accept Zelle or a wire transfer, never PayPal, Venmo or anything else. Personally, I’d never buy a machine I couldn’t inspect and take home immediately. Many do shipping and with good success, but it’s not for me.

#7 10 months ago

I've shipped a ton of games to happy buyers. Just deal with someone reputable with a lot of feedback. Some people, myself included, won't ship to newer members. Looks like you've been here 2 years and might be ok. It can be a nerve wrecking thing for both parties but ends up working out smoothly the majority of times. It's also one of the only ways to get a specific title you really want. While cash on the glass is always preferred it's not realistic if you want something specific and in a specific condition.

#8 10 months ago

I don't like to ship whether I am buying or selling a game, but I have shipped a couple of games. I recommend only dealing with people that have multiple positive feedback. I also try to reach out to the people that have given the positive feedback to see how they feel about the individual and the details about their transaction. Always do your own due diligence, but when it comes to anything other than cash on the glass, pickup in person, I get nervous.

#10 10 months ago

Has anybody bought games from eBay before?

#11 10 months ago

Talk to the person on the phone and use common sense to make sure there isn’t anything fishy. I’ve bought and sold many games with PayPal and never had an issue, some people here are paranoid about it though. Sti for shipping

#12 10 months ago

Second hand pinball shipping is huge. I'd guess STI/Beltmann does dozens every week if not more, but I'm sure that's slowed down with the economy and pinball market cooling off. Fast Eddie had more work than he could handle for 7 days a week for 10+ years just in the Northeast. People love their folksy horror stories, but the plain fact is people ship pinballs all the time, day after day after day.

Just do your research on the seller. Pinside has so many good tools to try and tell if someone is legit or not. And 98% of people are legit and just want to sell a pinball, but that doesn't mean to put your guard down or not do good research. On Facebook, I'd only get something shipped from someone who I've seen around a bunch and/or could link me to their Pinside account. I wouldn't and have not done ebay personally.

#13 10 months ago

Unless you or someone you know and trust can pick up the game and deliver it to you, don’t do it.

#14 10 months ago
    Quoted from Deez:

I've shipped a ton of games to happy buyers. Just deal with someone reputable with a lot of feedback. Some people, myself included, won't ship to newer members. Looks like you've been here 2 years and might be ok. It can be a nerve wrecking thing for both parties but ends up working out smoothly the majority of times. It's also one of the only ways to get a specific title you really want. While cash on the glass is always preferred it's not realistic if you want something specific and in a specific condition.

Do any shipping companies pack up the game or does all that always fall squarely on the seller? I'm just wondering if there is ever a scenario where the seller is old and can't pack up a game, or maybe they're not experienced with packing machines, etc., is there a service that handles all that.

#15 10 months ago

Do any shipping companies pack up the game or does all that always fall squarely on the seller? I'm just wondering if there is ever a scenario where the seller is old and can't pack up a game, or maybe they're not experienced with packing machines, etc., is there a service that handles all that.

Sti will provide white glove service where they wrap and carry it for you. The price rises exponentially if there are stairs involved.

#16 10 months ago
    Quoted from Deez:

Sti will provide white glove service where they wrap and carry it for you. The price rises exponentially if there are stairs involved.

So I'm guessing these guys that work for them know how to pack up and machine and transport it safely? You got any horror stories to share? Also, I read somewhere that they don't actually insure the entire cost of the item, do you have any experience with insurance in case something is damaged? Thanks for your help with answering questions btw.

#17 10 months ago

So I'm guessing these guys that work for them know how to pack up and machine and transport it safely? You got any horror stories to share? Also, I read somewhere that they don't actually insure the entire cost of the item, do you have any experience with insurance in case something is damaged? Thanks for your help with answering questions btw.

It's supposed to be insured for the full declared value in the shipping fee but I've never had to file a claim. As far as them wrapping, it really depends on who you get. STI/Beltmann works with regional carriers in the pick up and drop off, and these carriers truck all sorts of things so sometimes you'll get people well experienced in pinball wrapping and sometimes not. They all wrap, it's just some go the extra mile with leg and backbox protectors and some just throw a blanket or two on and a ton of stretch wrap. Which still works fine. A pinball getting damaged is going to be someone fucking up at the warehouse or the truck getting into an accident or something along those lines.

#18 10 months ago
    Quoted from VALIS666:

It's supposed to be insured for the full declared value in the shipping fee but I've never had to file a claim. As far as them wrapping, it really depends on who you get. STI/Beltmann works with regional carriers in the pick up and drop off, and these carriers truck all sorts of things so sometimes you'll get people well experienced in pinball wrapping and sometimes not. They all wrap, it's just some go the extra mile with leg and backbox protectors and some just throw a blanket or two on and a ton of stretch wrap. Which still works fine. A pinball getting damaged is going to be someone fucking up at the warehouse or the truck getting into an accident or something along those lines.

So they wrap it and do they also put it on a pallet for the seller and strap it down to pallet? Do they take the legs off and put it up like Stern does when it comes NIB? Just trying to get an idea on how it typically is done. Thanks for the info btw.

#19 10 months ago

So they wrap it and do they also put it on a pallet for the seller and strap it down to pallet? Do they take the legs off and put it up like Stern does when it comes NIB? Just trying to get an idea on how it typically is done. Thanks for the info btw.

Supposedly they can do pallet but shipping with legs on is fine and thousands of pins have traveled this way. They strap it to the truck sidewall so it can't move around and any vibrations the truck takes along the journey is probably mostly dampened by the legs. I used to be really nervous about this stuff at first as well but every pinball in existence except the ones within a 30 mile radius of the factory traveled a good distance to get where they are now. Everything inside is metal, wood, silicon, etc., not Faberge eggs. Outside of straight up accidents like someone drops it, runs a forklift into the side (which happens a fair amount with NIB pins), or the truck crashes, usually the worst that happens to a pinball in shipping is connections wiggle loose and you have to do a bit of troubleshooting. And that happens on pallets, in the back of my minivan, in boxes, legs on or off, and every other way they travel.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.