(Topic ID: 110764)

Best practice to getting wires out of a machine?

By Matt_Rasmussen

9 years ago

Topic Stats

• 10 posts
  • 4 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 9 years ago by wayout440
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

15744257.jpg
    #1 9 years ago

I'm doing a basic subwoofer upgrade and need to get two pair of wires out of the cabinet. Before I start modifying anything, I'm curious if there's a standard way to do it.

I'm thinking of either removing one of the bottom vents if it has it, and if I can find a binding post setup that fits that hole, or, drilling/cutting a new hole and mounting a binding post IO plate in the bottom somewhere.

Would that be acceptable to most 'collectors'? I know a lot of people get pretty touchy about modifying cabinets and such so I thought I'd ask before do, so I don't limit possibilities during a resale.

#2 9 years ago

The short answer is, to maintain collector originality any non-destructive method can be used, such as removing a vent that can be replaced later, or simply remove 3 screws and swivel it off to the side. Tape the screws to it in a little bag so they don't get lost. You can use a molex connector on your outgoing wires if you plan to disconnect and move the game around in the future.

That said, if it is not a collector quality game then feel free to either drill or add a binding post or spring jack plate to the bottom of the cab, nobody is going to see it anyway.

#3 9 years ago

I run the wires through the small vent holes in the rear of the machine, like you were suggesting. Just need to move the mesh up a little bit by removing a staple or two. Easy and no damage done to the cab.

#4 9 years ago

So neatly cutting out something in the bottom for a recessed binding post plate would be bad? I would think that would be ideal. Strap the sets of posts together to use the internal speaker, or use a sub, running the high level outs from the other set to power the internal woofer as well if you choose.

These machines are not collector quality...

#5 9 years ago

I don't think it'd be bad, just too much work for me. When I hook up to internal speaker, I either clip or solder a small lead wires to a speaker spring holder that I mount on one of the internal supports. I then just feed the wire up to it and hook it up. Cheap and easy, and I can move stuff around after simply disconnecting. The binding posts on the bottom would certainly make that easier though. Hmmm...

#6 9 years ago

Every time I punch a vent out of the back of the machine to feed cable in and out (I have subwoofer amps in all my machines), I thank the universe for the day I decided to not cut my cabinet. $2 and a couple of staples and she's back to new.

#7 9 years ago

I'm not talking about some hack job, nicely done and finished. Probably going to do it, I'll post some pics if I do.

#8 9 years ago
    Quoted from Matt_Rasmussen:

I'm not talking about some hack job, nicely done and finished. Probably going to do it, I'll post some pics if I do.

Go for it. Recessed jack plates come in a dozens of varieties. If you are good with woodcutting, personally I see nothing wrong with it at all.

15744257.jpg15744257.jpg
    #9 9 years ago

Yeah, I don't like spring clips, this is what I'm planning on using.

http://www.parts-express.com/parts-express-bi-amp-speaker-terminal-cup-gold-banana-binding-post--260-281#lblProductDetails

So if the machine sells you can just strap the posts together and you're stock, but upgradable to an external sub if the new owner wants very easily.

#10 9 years ago
    Quoted from Matt_Rasmussen:

Yeah, I don't like spring clips, this is what I'm planning on using.
    http://www.parts-express.com/parts-express-bi-amp-speaker-terminal-cup-gold-banana-binding-post--260-281#lblProductDetails
    So if the machine sells you can just strap the posts together and you're stock, but upgradable to an external sub if the new owner wants very easily.

perfect

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/best-practice-to-getting-wires-out-of-a-machine and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.