• 3 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 9 years ago by Mr68
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Taped_Backglass.jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider zombywoof.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1 9 years ago

I have just recently acquired a Sorcerer. A previous owner had "repaired" some lifting ink on the backglass with Scotch tape. The area in question is about the diameter of a racquet ball. While the glass doesn't look too bad while installed, I realize that it is really just a matter of time before the tape lifts, taking the silkscreened ink with it.

I can't imagine that Triple Thick could hold the tape in place, and I fear that it might just seep up under the edges and accelerate the failure of the adhesive. So what is the best approach to stabilizing this backglass? I'm leaning toward covering the whole back with mylar. I understand that this is probably not a permanent fix either, but it seems like it might buy some more time. If I go this route, should I proceed with the whole glass, or just cover the taped area? If I cover the whole back, should I pre cut the score windows? It would be easier to just cover them, but i don't have a good feel for how noticeable this would be. I'd appreciate any advice or suggestions that you might care to offer.

2 months later
#4 9 years ago

Here is what I was working with:
Taped_Backglass.jpgTaped_Backglass.jpg

I had considered the Super Glue injection, but there is a pretty substantial section of lifted artwork, pretty much all of the E and part of the R. I don't know if this would have been a good candidate for the Saran Wrap method. I have read about it, but have never attempted it myself. Perhaps someone who has done a few back glasses can chime in on whether that would have been the way to go here.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 36.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Playfield - Plastics
The Pinball Scientist

$ 22.50
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Watertown, MA
$ 749.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider zombywoof.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/best-practice-stabilizing-a-taped-backglass?tu=zombywoof and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.