image-10_(resized).jpg
20151127_221106.jpg
20151127_221112.jpg
20151016_090037_(resized).jpg
$(KGrHqN,!pEFD!CEUNJeBQ6vN6Hlmw~~60_57_(resized).JPG
20150401_194028_(resized).jpg
20151206_172855_(resized).jpg

#1 5 years ago

I have always liked Eight ball deluxe, and have always wanted to add a Pool themed game to the collection, but have never had a chance to really play alot of them, like Sharkey's shootout, Cue ball wizard ect. Looking to see whats is fun and has depth?

#2 5 years ago

Go for 8BD. Fun is not the best adjective to describe that game but it's really challenging.

#3 5 years ago

I agree. EBD. It is mean and will slap you around. Wonderful game year after year.

I like Breakshot too. There is something enjoyable about those center shots.

Sharkey's gets old. It was an update (theft) of the EBD layout, but it lost the spirit of the game in that update.

Eight Ball is always fun. A bit basic, but that gaping maw of a left outlane can really add to the nasty disposition of the game.

All the other ones (the old EM ones) can be a blast. But EBD is the top one.

#4 5 years ago

Pro Pool

#5 5 years ago

I agree with EBD being the best but, some other options could be Solids n' Stripes, Pool Sharks, Bank-A-Ball, Target Pool and the very unique Hi-Score Pool.

#6 5 years ago

You probably won't be happy until you just get an EBD, honestly.

#7 5 years ago

8 Ball Deluxe for the win.

#8 5 years ago

Gottlieb "Hot Shot" and "Bank A Ball" are a couple machines I like.

#9 5 years ago

I like Gottlieb Pinball Pool, basically a SS version of Hot Shot.

#10 5 years ago

Breakshot is a really fun game. Locking the balls in the center receptacle is really satisfying and unique. Of course, Eight Ball Deluxe is a better game but it's a lot more $$.

#11 5 years ago

Eight ball deluxe #1 have pool sharks and eight ball champ

#12 5 years ago

Skill Pool

#13 5 years ago

Cue Ball Wizard!! First pin ever lol

#14 5 years ago

EBD the best, 1981 version best of the 3 different years if you can find a good one

#15 5 years ago

I had a blast playing Gottlieb's 1950 Bank-a-Ball. Not an easy find, but highly recommended. The best part: there's nothing on the playfield. The objective seems so easy, but is so hard to achieve. i kept going back to that game to try.

Looks like you can't go wrong with EBD either.

#16 5 years ago

I really enjoy EBD too. It plays GREAT.

CBW is one of my zone out games. Most of the time, I feel like I need to be playing a game for a high score or something. I can play CBW all day long just to try to poke that stupid Cue Ball to the top of the playfield. It's such a crazy fun feature.

I am also a fan of Sharkey's Shootout and think it doesn't get a fair shake

#17 5 years ago

I don't know if it would've been the best pool themed pin of all time, but Dual-Pool could've been pretty fun IMHO. Too bad they abandoned the idea. I'd love to get it going, but it'd be a lot of work to finish it up!

20151206_172855_(resized).jpg

#18 5 years ago

I'm a big fan of Bally Eight Ball there is a reason why it was the best selling SS pin ever made.

#19 5 years ago
Quoted from bonzo442:

EBD the best, 1981 version best of the 3 different years if you can find a good one

You said it right. Owned all 3 and kept my 84 CE one. Would rather have the 81 version but the PF in my CE was super.

#20 5 years ago

I agree with unigroove's post #15 above. Gottlieb's 1950 Bank-A-Ball is among the best. What I like so much about it is that it mimics the vectors of a billiards game by incorporating a turret shooter. Like a player playing a real game of pool, this design has the kinetics of a pool table. My particular game was dying a slow death when I acquired it. My restoration still awaits reproduction plastics. If anyone here can suggest a plastics fabricator, I have the art file for same. Any good leads would be greatly appreciated!

20150401_194028_(resized).jpg

$(KGrHqN,!pEFD!CEUNJeBQ6vN6Hlmw~~60_57_(resized).JPG

#21 5 years ago

I would totally agree with EBD ! One of the best games ever made !
I always enjoyed chicago coins High Score pool. More of a novelty but fun to play.

#22 5 years ago

I own Eight Ball Deluxe.

There is no other pool themed game out there that I would rather have over it. EM or solid state. I've played a lot, but definitely not all of them.

#23 5 years ago

Not my bag . But STERN Sharkey's Shootout was fun for a pool theme.

#24 5 years ago

My favorite EM pool theme is Target Pool. Completing the rack is difficult and fun and the ever changing 300 point target is a great risk/reward target.

#25 5 years ago

Eight Ball Champ and Sharkeys Shootout hands down!

#26 5 years ago

Had EBD for years, and still regret selling almost 2 years ago. HANDS DOWN the best Pool themed pin out there......IMO

#27 5 years ago

Funny, I don't like playing pool, but I love those pool themed pinball games.... Bring'em all!

#29 5 years ago

CBW is actually a good game if you take the time to learn the ruleset and some of the strategy when playing against others.

#30 5 years ago

HOT SHOT!

#31 5 years ago
Quoted from Whysnow:

CBW is actually a good game if you take the time to learn the ruleset and some of the strategy when playing against others.

Fun game but man that midi country music drives me nuts!

#32 5 years ago

Eight Ball Deluxe hands down. Rack em up! If anyone is looking for a Sharkey's I just listed one today in the market:https://pinside.com/pinball/market/ad/29619
20151016_090037_(resized).jpg

#33 5 years ago
Quoted from Whysnow:

Is there something else to it when playing for points other than shoot the ramp, shoot the ramp, shoot the ramp?

I thought that was the biggest way to a bazillion points... and it's a really safe shot too :-/

#34 5 years ago

8BD

Laser Cue

#35 5 years ago
Quoted from Whysnow:

The sick strategy of timing out all the modes to get to the wizard mode?

#36 5 years ago
Quoted from goatdan:

Is there something else to it when playing for points other than shoot the ramp, shoot the ramp, shoot the ramp?
I thought that was the biggest way to a bazillion points... and it's a really safe shot too :-/

If set up correctly the game is challenging and mean (like you and I both like them). The ramp shot is completely makable but must be hit cleanly. It is also hard to to on the fly on my game. Ramp is the way to blow up for 1/2billion (or a full billion if you are good enough to do it with DOUBLE on) but that is far from the best strategy in standard competitive play. Each mode can get you decent points along the way so timing out is a silly strategy in competitive play, esp when the game is set up so getting control is tough (big randomizer in middle of pf with the cue ball) Aside form that, getting inlanes and then working towards video is a good background strategy to always progress towards.

In competition I am typically trying to bank shot and keep the ball on the top side of the PF with good nudging. I am also making sure I know how to bank off right kick target to get the targets blockec behind the cue ball so I can grab 30mil during no way round/mode. Other thing is to know how to enable the sweet spot and when/ how to bank to hit it.

Part of why CBW is a good game is there is actually alot of bank shot strategy to playing the game.

Sure if you are just trying to blow it up then go ahead and try to shoot ramp 13 times to start, once more after draining multi, then hit 1-7 drops in order, hit the cue ball, and then have 10seconds to hit the 9 drop for 1/2 billion. You may beat me 1 out of 30 games if that is your only strategy. I will beat you the rest.

Beauty of the competitive play is that you have the ability to shift among quite a few strategies very easily depending on how the deck plays and what shots are clicking with you.
Things to do to set up game properly for competitive play:
Ramp should be makable from a clean shot off trap.
Ball should not be trappable from a return off ramp to left flipper. In other words you have to either shoot on the fly or learn a good strategy to get back to left flipper under control. You should no be able to post pass on this deck. It is not intended to do that with the 15degree extra flipper travel. You should not be able to back hand your inlane to spell pool.
Game should reset WIZARD and DOUBLE to 1 or 2 letters each game and not carry over between players or games.
Must enable mode with ramp shot then start mode with another ramp shot.

#37 5 years ago

Well, if / when I put mine back together, I know what to do now

#38 5 years ago

8 ball deluxe gets my vote but another mention is rotation VIII

#39 5 years ago

Here's a em goody

20151127_221112.jpg

20151127_221106.jpg

#40 5 years ago

I agree with cody on Laser Cue.
First pin i ever bought
and can still be had for about $500-800 fairly easily
plays very fast great WMS S/S sounds
and fair amount of strategy
and shot selection

#41 5 years ago

I think this is so cute.

image-10_(resized).jpg

#42 5 years ago

EBD has no other competition in this race. It is the best period.

#43 5 years ago

'Quit talkin' and start chalking!' EBD for the win.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside