Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 12 posts
  • 7 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 6 years ago by Lamprey
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Screenshot_20180212-144627 (resized).png
    100_5934 (resized).jpg
    100_5899 (resized).jpg
    100_5891 (resized).jpg
    100_5878 (resized).jpg
    100_5875 (resized).jpg
    100_5810 (resized).jpg
    100_5798 (resized).jpg
    100_5799 (resized).jpg
    100_5782 (resized).jpg
    #1 6 years ago

Well due to a water issue I have a couple of cabinets to make when the weather breaks. I have made furniture etc before but never a pin cabinet. If any of you have built them please answer a question for me. In a good portion of my prior projects I have used Birch plywood and always been happy with the results. Looks like most pin/arcade aftermarket cabs use maple. Has anyone built cabs and can suggest the best wood?
    Thanks

#2 6 years ago

I don't know if it's the best, but I used oak plywood for the repair I did for the same reason on my pin bot machine.

100_5782 (resized).jpg100_5782 (resized).jpg

100_5799 (resized).jpg100_5799 (resized).jpg

100_5798 (resized).jpg100_5798 (resized).jpg

100_5810 (resized).jpg100_5810 (resized).jpg

100_5875 (resized).jpg100_5875 (resized).jpg

100_5878 (resized).jpg100_5878 (resized).jpg

100_5891 (resized).jpg100_5891 (resized).jpg

100_5899 (resized).jpg100_5899 (resized).jpg

100_5934 (resized).jpg100_5934 (resized).jpg

#3 6 years ago
    Quoted from indy5mike:

Well due to a water issue I have a couple of cabinets to make when the weather breaks. I have made furniture etc before but never a pin cabinet. If any of you have built them please answer a question for me. In a good portion of my prior projects I have used Birch plywood and always been happy with the results. Looks like most pin/arcade aftermarket cabs use maple. Has anyone built cabs and can suggest the best wood?
    Thanks

Mike if you are building some cabinets and are capable I could use a classic stern electronics lower cabinet for a project I'm working on. Once my summer vacation hits I'd be happy to come on down and help out.

#4 6 years ago

I do cabinet work and mostly use birch or maple. Birch is cheaper but maple has a prettier grain if not painting. Oak is hard but will require some additional work filling grain prior to painting.

I think more important is the quality of the ply. Sometimes the the top veneer is so thin that it telegraphs defects of the second ply. Also look at the second ply and avoid it if it has lots of voids. I like plywood’s with more laminations, Baltic birch is an example but similar options are available.

Shop around and compare

#5 6 years ago

Thanks guys I think I'm gonna use maple.

#6 6 years ago

this may sound like a dumb question, but where can you buy a good quality plywood birch or maple veneered? all of the plywood stocked by the big boxes around here doesn't even looks like plywood

#7 6 years ago

I used the ply in this image once, I thought it turned out fine.

Screenshot_20180212-144627 (resized).pngScreenshot_20180212-144627 (resized).png

#8 6 years ago

thanks, i checked that lowes model item number out and it is not available in my area - which i guess is why i can't find any decent plywood area me

i don't even know if lumber yards exist around here any more but i guess i will be finding out

#9 6 years ago

Are there any woodworking specific stores around you, the one I know of that is pretty common(I think) is Woodcraft, I think they even have a magazine.
    Not sure if they carry good quality ply though.

#10 6 years ago

there used to be a couple of good wood supply businesses around here but none of them that i remember bitd are still in business, too bad.
    i think it goes like this: big box carries everything local competition carries, big box puts locals out of business by selling for less, big box drops items specific to the local business which recently expired ..... the end

#11 6 years ago
    Quoted from creepykenny:

i think it goes like this:

Yep, i couldnt agree more.

#12 6 years ago

I don't know if you have one in your area but some of the "smaller" stores like Dunn Lumber seem to have some "specialty" wood like nice ply or MDO.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/best-plywood-for-pin-cabinet and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.