Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 41 posts
  • 29 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 3 years ago by sunnRAT
  • Topic is favorited by 4 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider luppin.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1 3 years ago

Which are your favorite player machines with long lastability?

I am a good player and hate easy machines, I get bored immediately. Some machines are punishing and in my opinion those are also often the ones who last long in a home collection.

Basically think in the opposite direction than great machines for casual players and location. Think instead about machines for good players who want to own the machines for very long time, playing at home, alone, not trying to impress any friend.

In the end please also specify how much you like the theme of the chosen machines: just because I believe we all are very influenced by the theme (nothing bad about it), so it will help me to understand your choices.

#24 3 years ago
    Quoted from zarco:

ST:TNG, a nice variety of shots, plenty of interesting modes and a few hidden features.
    I also like the theme but not everyone does
    Black Hole, getting multi ball on this one is no easy task. Really like the lower PF
    that slopes away from the player, a real classic
    Gtb Spiderman, this was my first pin over 30 years ago and still played regularly.
    No music but a nice variety of shots and the artwork is top notch
    Gtb Sinbad, very common game but one of my favorites. It gets played a lot too.
    Much of how a game plays depends on how its set up. I've played all of the
    above games at shows and was not impressed in large part because the rubbers
    were old and/or the angle was too shallow.

Totally agree with you. I think this element is often forgot. I have also played the same game on different machines with different steepness, rubbers, general cleanliness, tightness of tilt and so on... and the experience was very very different. Actually, two different games. From slow to fast, from hard to easy. Here we are talking about PURE GAMEPLAY.

In my opinion there should be two different rankings for HOME PLAY/PLAYERS MACHINES and LOCATION/CASUAL PLAY. Two different worlds!

#26 3 years ago

I already own and really really love BSD and Shadow. Absolute keepers. From the '80 I would go for EBD (I like the theme also).

About EM, I am starting to get interested. I care less and less (and less) about toys, light shows, leds, mods, ramps and so on. I think that a very simple element really missing in modern pinball are targets, like in EBD. That alone requires great skills. So EM can be a good option. But about EM I know nothing. Which one would you suggest (tough and long long lasting)?

#37 3 years ago
    Quoted from sunnRAT:

You're speaking my language. Pinball machines don't need all that filler. As long as there is a good layout and good rules and fun to shoot.
    I have a 1975 Abra Ca Dabra. It has a symmetrical layout with 2 banks of drop targets with a very good set of rules and can be challenging. I find myself playing it for a good while. It's nice to look at too. There are some great machines from the 70s that can be found.

I see we have similar tastes, yes. I also love the theme, sound and look of Centaur. IN terms of gameplay how is it?

#38 3 years ago
    Quoted from snyper2099:

I think EBD is good but I could not justify keeping it because I found it too easy after playing it hundreds of times.
    Nearly every game in my collection is set up extremely difficult to minimize ball times. I even have lightning flippers on a few!
    My games play fast and have short ball times on purpose. Only exceptions are maybe Elecktra, Mr/Ms pac-man, Fathom and Sharkey's. So yes, you are looking for a lot of the same games that I’ve collected for the last 16 years. Honestly, you shouldn't need long ball times to play a fun game of pinball. My main problem with those games is that once you are really skilled at pinball, your standard setup game of LOTR or WOZ plays so long that on ball 2 or 3, your hands and fingers start to cramp up! (Not kidding!)
    Some that I’ve let go of that are very difficult and have short ball times are Tron, Sinbad, and F-14 Tomcat.
    Theme is usually not that important in pinball unless you are an operator. There are certainly exceptions (BSD,Tron,TZ) but most often, theme does not matter as much as the raw pinball design matters.

Great to hear this! Short flippers, minimizing game time, boring long balls on overcomplicated machines... all stuff for unskilled, or normally skilled people, with not much experience. I don't think I am a pinball wizard at all, but geez, I believe every normal person with normally decent reflexes, after playing pinball AT HOME for few years, hence playing thousands and thousands of games, reach a level when easy setups are just plain boring. Its happened to me recently to drop a coin in a pinball at a bar, and leaving at ball 2 because the game never ended. I am not saying its like a sport, but still there are huge difference in skills between a (few years) pinball owner and a casual player. Hence reviews are so different!

So my suggestion is: before selling your machine and constantly looking for new machines, make your machine tougher increasing steepness, putting short flippers, changing tilt sensitivity and so on.

#39 3 years ago

Thanks all for the inputs! I enjoy reading opinions close to mine of experienced players, while usually I don't agree with many things I read.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider luppin.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/best-player-machines-lastability?tu=luppin and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.