• Topic is favorited by 6 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

TOM2.jpg
TOM1.jpg
#1 10 years ago

Can someone point me in the best place to purchase these?
Thanks
Magicchiz

#3 10 years ago

If you line the new one with dynamat or similar sound deadening it won't crack when the ball hits it. Mine is 6 months old and looks like new

#4 10 years ago

YOU HAVE THE MAGIC

#5 10 years ago

I'd get the magic by buying 2 of them.

I've had them break within a week of installing.

#6 10 years ago

This is a very good mod waiting to happen. Someone needs to make this out of something else that won't break. Metal with some type of clear rubber coating? I don't know, something other than plastic that gets bashed by a metal ball over and over.

#7 10 years ago

Before installation of the trunk, run a THIN bead of hot glue about 1/2 wide on the inside bottom lip of the trunk, this hold it together and prevents cracking. Did this on my TOM many years ago and the trunk is still in tact

#8 10 years ago
Quoted from Atomicboy:

This is a very good mod waiting to happen. Someone needs to make this out of something else that won't break. Metal with some type of clear rubber coating? I don't know, something other than plastic that gets bashed by a metal ball over and over.

Mad amusements was selling trunks made out of some sort of resin I think. From what I recall you had to warm it in the oven to try and 'shape' it. It felt much stronger than the regular trunks but I didn't like the way it felt when the ball hit it.

#9 10 years ago

Little Shop of Games also has the trunk for $31

http://www.littleshopofgames.com/Games/tom.html

#10 10 years ago
Quoted from Pin_Crazed:

Before installation of the trunk, run a THIN bead of hot glue about 1/2 wide on the inside bottom lip of the trunk, this hold it together and prevents cracking. Did this on my TOM many years ago and the trunk is still in tact

My next attempt was going to be PL Premium glue from Home Depot. I was thinking of spreading this along all sides to form as think of an inside lower wall as possible to still fit.

#11 10 years ago
Quoted from Pin_Crazed:

^ this.

#12 10 years ago
Quoted from Atomicboy:

My next attempt was going to be PL Premium glue from Home Depot. I was thinking of spreading this along all sides to form as think of an inside lower wall as possible to still fit.

That was my thinking as well, the trunk walls needs to be built as thick as you can while still fitting on the mech. The main reason the trunks crack is their is a space between the box and the mech which allows flexing, fill the space so the flex on the trunk from hits is removed.

#13 10 years ago

There is a guy who makes some trunks from time to time. They are made of some kind of rubber, so they are practically indestructible. I would upload a picture of it, but I am unable to (Firefox and Open SUSE linux).

[attachment=1470946,] [attachment=1470946,]
#14 10 years ago

Same with Chrome (the error says can not get upload ID).

[attachment=1470955,]
#15 10 years ago

Succeeded on Win 7 + Firefox.TOM1.jpgTOM1.jpgTOM2.jpgTOM2.jpg

3 months later
#16 9 years ago

Rygar, any idea who this "guy" is and how he would be contacted??

#17 9 years ago

Yeah, I need to finally get this. Rygar had told me about it before, but it's time to go this route. It's very expensive apparently.

#18 9 years ago
Quoted from Bigbossfan:

Rygar, any idea who this "guy" is and how he would be contacted??

This trunk is made by a guy in germany, best one ever made. I can give a link to a thread in our german forum, but you can only see the pictures, if you create an account in the forum.

- Ingo

#19 9 years ago

Do you have his email? If he doesn't want it private can you pm me?

#20 9 years ago

what about spraying the inside with a layer that truck bed liner spray/ Rhinoliner? I bed that would make it more resilient.

#21 9 years ago
Quoted from msj2222:

what about spraying the inside with a layer that truck bed liner spray/ Rhinoliner? I bed that would make it more resilient.

I've heard of people trying all kinds of stuff that seems like a good idea. In the end it's a piece of plastic getting hit with a hammer. One of the two needs to change, and it won't be the metal ball.

#22 9 years ago

I lined the lower inside of my latest trunk with fiberglass resin and the cloth that goes along with it. It's held up nicely for a year.

1 week later
#23 9 years ago

Hi Boys

i am the guy how build there Rubber Trunks!

Greetings from Bavaria/Germany

#24 9 years ago

modellbauman,

Do you have some of these made and can you tell us how we can order from you?
Magicchiz

#25 9 years ago
#27 9 years ago

i saw a listing on ebay from Mr pinball Australia who has 1 NOS trunk , i saw it last night. actually the guy has a lot of great stuff on there for the grail pins.

#28 9 years ago
Quoted from ls1chris:

i saw a listing on ebay from Mr pinball Australia who has 1 NOS trunk , i saw it last night. actually the guy has a lot of great stuff on there for the grail pins.

In case of TOM trunks NOS=POS. They break or chip within 200 games (op that I got my TOM from said that his NOS trunk plastic broke after two weeks on location).

#30 9 years ago

Looks like somebody has finally made a quality trunk replacement that is flat where it meets the strike zone on the weldment and out of rubber.
This one looks like it won't break again in the first 25 plays.

http://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/trunk-rubber-for-theatre-of-magics#post-1715195

#31 9 years ago

Hi magicchiz:

The two pictures up are made by myself...yes my pic...my trunk...my work!

Im the orginal producer
Greetings
Hans-modellbauman

#32 9 years ago

Ok Modellbauman,

How much $. And how do we order?
Magicchiz

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/best-place-to-purchase-tom-trunk and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.