(Topic ID: 4679)

Best place to have a playfield restored.

By GoneFishinLvMsg

8 years ago

Topic Stats

• 17 posts
  • 7 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 8 years ago by stangbat
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

#1 8 years ago

OK, I'm not an artist and don't pretend to be one, so when it comes to things like painting and restoring playfields I am completely lost. I would like to have my Paragon playfield completely restored by a reputable company who will do great work and not try to screw me over. So far I have quotes from Capt. Neo for $650 and HSA Pinball for $750-800. If anyone cares to comment on these two companies or suggest another one, I'd like to hear it. Feel free to pm me if you want to suggest avoiding a certain place so we don't turn this into a bash-fest. Thanks!

#2 8 years ago

My first restore will be coming back from HSA next week. I'll let you know how it turns out. I went with HSA because Brian has a lot of examples of his work available and I felt comfortable that he was going to do an excellent job. I also listened to a presentation he gave at Expo 2010 and it convinced me that he knows what he's doing. It is a little ways down the page here:
    http://www.pinballnews.com/shows/expo2010/index4.html

My restore is going to have taken a little over 5 months by the time I get it back (not counting shipping to and from him).

#3 8 years ago

I had a set of Wh2o playfields recently restored by Ron Kruzman. He did a great job. You may want to get in touch with him for a possible quote. kruzman@aol.com

#4 8 years ago

Has anybody had any work done by Capt Neo in Burlington Wisconsin? He has the best price, but I'm nervous about taking it to someone without a reference.

#5 8 years ago
    Quoted from Rum-Z:

I had a set of Wh2o playfields recently restored by Ron Kruzman. He did a great job.

Ron's work is definitely very respected in the pinball community.

#6 8 years ago
    Quoted from gweempose:

Ron's work is definitely very respected in the pinball community.

I sent him an email and it bounced back. HSA's pictures online look very impressive. Waiting to hear from stangbat how his resto went.

#7 8 years ago

Has stangbat received his AFM playfield back? I should test it to judge the quality.

#8 8 years ago
    Quoted from jayhawkai:

Has stangbat received his AFM playfield back? I should test it to judge the quality.

No, I'm hoping it will be here next week. It would be nice if I have the game back together before you have to leave!

#9 8 years ago

I wouldn't be much help, but if you could use an extra pair of hands in repopulating everything let me know.

#10 8 years ago

Brian at HSA happened to send me a link to my restore late last night. He stated that in these photos it has not had its final buffing.

http://www.hsapinball.com/HSA_PINBALL/Restorations3/Pages/hsa69B.html#grid

I don't have the playfield yet since he needs to buff it. But based on the photos, it looks amazing. Every area that was flawed has been addressed and fixed: damaged Martian Attack insert, saucer wear, forcefield wear, SOL hole, ball swirls in front of the left sling, wear to the black at inserts, lifted clear at an insert, wear at the upper rollover inserts, shooter lane damage. I could go on. I have before photos, but I don't have the time to resize and post them right now.

I had debated about getting a reproduction and having it quickly vs. waiting for a restoration. I'm now really happy I decided to go with a restoration and stay original.

#11 8 years ago

Having seen ron kruzman's work first hand I would go with him were I to get a pf redone.

#13 8 years ago

Who do people like Chris Hutchins or Bryan Kelly use? Do they do the playfield restorations themselves, or farm it out?

#14 8 years ago
    Quoted from gweempose:

Who do people like Chris Hutchins or Bryan Kelly use? Do they do the playfield restorations themselves, or farm it out?

I don't know if Chris does all his playfields, but he does do playfields and he is very good at it. When I was researching options, I contacted him but at the time he was pretty booked up with work and couldn't promise me that he'd be able to do it.

I've read on RGP that Bryan doesn't do his own, but I'm not sure who does the work for him. I could be wrong though.

#15 8 years ago

I emailed Ron and he says he's not taking any playfields as torn up as mine. He did say that he has one he's already working on though, so maybe I'll just grab that one and eBay my old one for whatever I can get.

#16 8 years ago

I guess a follow-on question (not meaning to hijack the thread) would be pros/cons of restoration vs reproduction. Would a reproduction be a better way to go if, say, the pf is heavily worn? What affect would a restoration vs reproduction be on value? I assume this is where the quality of restoration comes in as well...but for a pf that requires extensive restoration, can it be done on both an economical and quality par with a reproduction?

#17 8 years ago

In general, restoration is probably more feasible for playfields that were initially clear coated (Diamond Plate, etc.) if they are in reasonable condition. Since they hold up better, restoration is often easier and less expensive than non-clearcoated playfields.

On System 11 games, there are often reproductions available for a cost that you can't really match when it comes to restoration. Some of the System 11 games take a ton of work to restore.

As for value, you'll probably get answers all over the map. To some people it won't matter, to others it will.

Also, restorations usually have a few differences from the original (colors, inserts, missing portions.) To some people, this isn't a big deal. To others, it is. See the link about my playfield for and example of some differences between the two.

http://www.hsapinball.com/HSA_PINBALL/Restorations5/Pages/hsa69.html

And then you have the factor of time vs. cost. If you can get a reproduction and have it in a week or two, that may be preferable to waiting 4-6 months for a restoration and maybe paying less.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
    $ 40.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    G-Money Mods
    Eproms
    Matt's Basement Arcade
    $ 179.99
    $ 24.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    The MOD Couple
    $ 24.00
    Playfield - Other
    Pin Monk
    Eproms
    Matt's Basement Arcade
    Cabinet - Other
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 29.95
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    ULEKstore
    $ 29.99
    Lighting - Interactive
    Lee's Parts
    $ 24.00
    Playfield - Other
    Pin Monk
    $ 79.95
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    pinballmod
    $ 29.99
    Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 99.99
    Lighting - Other
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    £ 20.00
    $ 214.99
    $ 20.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 17.00
    $ 60.00
    $ 5,799.00
    Pinball Machine
    Little Shop Of Games
    $ 40.99
    Lighting - Interactive
    Lee's Parts
    $ 7,995.00
    Pinball Machine
    Classic Game Rooms
    $ 74.00
    Cabinet - Armor And Blades
    Id Rather Play Pinball
    $ 99.99
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Lighted Pinball Mods

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside