You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

pin2 (resized).jpg
image-8 (resized).jpg
image-4 (resized).jpg
#1 2 years ago

Recently picked up my very first pin. It's a Bally Big Show from 1974. Apparently, one of the previous owners had begun a cosmetic restoration and never finished. So I am left with a backbox with no side art and missing apron art. I am new to this hobby and I have no idea where to get replacement artwork. Anyone have any suggestions? I have included pictures of the artwork I'm missing. If anyone could point me in the right direction I would be very grateful. Also like to add that I believe the artwork from a Bally Circus machine would also work. It is a 4 player version of the Big Show but the art I need seems to look the same.

image-4 (resized).jpgimage-4 (resized).jpgimage-8 (resized).jpgimage-8 (resized).jpg

#2 2 years ago

Photos of your current situation? Is the artwork sanded off or painted over? Sometimes painted-over artwork can be recovered with latex remover.

Your best bet is a friendly collector with a scanner. Try to contact other owners on pinside; and failing that, pinballowners.com. You may also be able to use a good head-on photo.

The apron is tougher, but could be re-created from a scan using a Silhouette Cameo cutter and airbrush; or dry rub-on transfers.

I had success laser-cutting stencils out of 1/8" MDF. You want rigid stencils to get that soft overspray look on the artwork.

You'll also need an airbrush, spray gun or get good with a toothbrush to recreate the splatter effect.

I'm into this kind of work, restoration is half the fun for me, but it's not everyone's cup of tea.

#3 2 years ago

Thanks for the suggestions. I don't currently have a picture of my backbox but it does look like it was painted over with latex paint. I could try to gently remove a portion and see what happens. If all else fails I can simply repaint. I do have a picture of the apron. After looking at some original machines I believe my apron is a reproduction. There appear to be fewer screw holes and also it does not have the corner cutouts for the card inserts. It is just flat all the way across.

pin2 (resized).jpgpin2 (resized).jpg
#4 2 years ago

Maybe someone just hated looking at clowns.

You may be able to recover enough of the original artwork to be happy. Failing that, the original paint can form the basis for stencils.

You could try asking on the EM Parts Wanted thread for an apron or try eBay.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/best-place-to-find-artwork and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.