Topic Stats

• 32 posts
  • 25 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 8 years ago by oropuro
  • Topic is favorited by 4 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

#1 8 years ago

Hey guys I've never bought a NIB stern before so need some advice. Ghostbuster looks too good to pass on. Where do you guys do you buy yours from and do all the dealers sell the games at the same set price or do they differ from seller to seller? Who has the best price? Who should I stay away from? Thanks in advance.

#2 8 years ago

I can help you
www.pinballpro.com

#3 8 years ago

Trent @ Tilt Amusements is a good choice. Compare before you buy.

#5 8 years ago

Probably Trent or nitro amusements will be best for you in WA

#6 8 years ago

Also Trent @ Tilt Amusements. It's been a few years since I gotten a nib pin.

#7 8 years ago

Cointaker

#8 8 years ago

Call Trent at Tilt Amusements, Gio at Pinball Refinery, JJ at Game Exchange of Colorado, or Melissa at CoinTaker

#9 8 years ago

thanks everyone for the advice.

#10 8 years ago

If you're in Washington go with Specialty Coin. I've been happy with their price and customer service from all the NIB machines I've purchased from them.

#11 8 years ago

Ordered through JJ at game exchange of Colorado for first time recently. Responsive and no complaints. Great pricing.

Bought from SPecialty Coin Portland years ago with no complaints. Not sure if they still have a Seattle area office but don't pay sales tax if you can avoid it.

Trent also is responsive and I wouldn't hesitate to buy through him either.

#12 8 years ago

Avoid Specialty Coin now, customer service is not good.
Times have changed.

You want to use a "platinum" Stern distributor for a reason.
They will most DEFINITELY help you if you are new to the buying in NIB pinball machine world.
That includes working in the middle with Stern.

There are roughly a dozen or so in the United States.
I cannot give specific recommendations except via PM.

I will tell you buy from a proper larger distributor, OUT OF STATE (avoid tax), local pickup if possible (for inspection), or use a proper distributor that provides FREE drop shipment SHIPPING and INSURANCE preferably.
You can save a few bucks via terminal pickup, but it is not really worth it anymore.

They DO exist.
When you compare costs with shipping (and potentially taxes), you will find the deal you though you were getting originally was not as good as you thought...

If you don't do any homework on your part, the results can be unpredictable.
You cannot necessary use any of the distributors mentioned, because it can entirely dependent on your WA location and what YOU want to do. It is not just about cost.

#13 8 years ago

So what range we talking on pro pins ? 0064$ or better... Price is in secret code...<

#14 8 years ago

I'm very happy with Trent at Tilt. No reason to change unless I go with aftermarket customs like Pinball refinery. Refinery has build a great reputation as well and I have seen the work first hand.

Both ship to your door at a good price.

#15 8 years ago

I live in NY , bought my METLE from automated in CT. He charged me 490.00 in sales tax for picking it up in person, even though I'm a New York State resident. So buyer beware.

#16 8 years ago
Quoted from Colehvac1:

I live in NY , bought my METLE from automated in CT. He charged me 490.00 in sales tax for picking it up in person, even though I'm a New York State resident. So buyer beware.

I believe that's the law. if you pickup, its as if the transaction was completed as a local sale and therefore you must pay state sales tax regardless of where you live. I have seen that before on other deals for out of state buyers with local pickup. just fyi.

#17 8 years ago
Quoted from oropuro:

So what range we talking on pro pins ? 0064$ or better... Price is in secret code...<

Your secret code is too low.

#18 8 years ago
Quoted from Colehvac1:

He had to charge you sales tax since you picked the machine up in CT.

#19 8 years ago

Mike at flipper fidelity was great to work with on my first nib. Patient when I was impatient due to sterns mfg delays, explained everything, and price seemed spot on.

#20 8 years ago

I ended up going with Tilt, my first time using them fingers crossed

#22 8 years ago

I bought my first NIB a Metallica LED Pro from Trent @ Tilt Amusements. I have been very pleased with the service Trent offers. I had a few issues with my Metallica every time I just contacted Trent, sent pictures of the issue, Trent would forward them to Stern and everything was taken care of. They replaced my DMD when I had a line go out, they replaced my entire playfield when mine started chipping around the magnet, and they sent me replacement head decals when mine started to peel. I couldn't ask for better service. Trent has earned my business for any future NIB purchases.

#23 8 years ago
Quoted from ita47:

I bought my first NIB a Metallica LED Pro from Trent @ Tilt Amusements. I have been very pleased with the service Trent offers. I had a few issues with my Metallica every time I just contacted Trent, sent pictures of the issue, Trent would forward them to Stern and everything was taken care of. They replaced my DMD when I had a line go out, they replaced my entire playfield when mine started chipping around the magnet, and they sent me replacement head decals when mine started to peel. I couldn't ask for better service. Trent has earned my business for any future NIB purchases.

Good to hear! Though I must say you sure had a lot of issues with your MET

#24 8 years ago
Quoted from Mike_J:

He had to charge you sales tax since you picked the machine up in CT.

Yes, I know that now. When given the option of having it shipped or pick up in person, I choose pick up in person thinking I would save on shipping, not knowing I would have to pay sales tax. (It would have been cheaper to ship) one of the other posters mentioned picking up in person, I'm just letting them know that picking up in person means your responsible for sales tax. I got to learn that lesson the hard way.

#25 8 years ago
Quoted from tommyp:

Mike at flipper fidelity was great to work with on my first nib. Patient when I was impatient due to sterns mfg delays, explained everything, and price seemed spot on.

I 2nd this, I haven't bought an NIB yet; but when I do, it will be from Mike...He's a super nice guy, and has good prices.

#26 8 years ago

Apparently Walmart now!

#28 8 years ago

Game Exchange in CO

#29 8 years ago

I am going to share this information again for new buyers.

Buying NIB machines means considering FOUR FACTORS not just "price":

1) Time (Availability - Pre-Order, Immediate, or Wait List?)
*Are you willing to wait YEARS potentially for a game to save $500?*
*Will the game be available (including LE models) without significant searching and work?*

2) Money (Machine Cost+tax, not shipping cost)
*It is important to differentiate, because once you start adding up the base numbers, they don't always turn out the way you thought*

3) Shipping (Time required, cost, and carrier)
*Not all carriers are created equal, and dealers use certain ones that save THEM money, but have so-so performance*
*No shipping is NOT always the best solution to try and save money (taxes, fees, and other factors)*

4) Customer Service (Support, independent warranty, and secondary mediation)
*This can be a BIG deal for new owners, not familiar to pinball, and includes potential maintenance plans as well*

You are NOT going to get all four, unless you have networking.
Pick three from a good distributor.
If you have industry contacts, use them.

#30 8 years ago
Quoted from xTheBlackKnightx:

I am going to share this information again for new buyers.
Buying NIB machines means considering FOUR FACTORS not just "price":
1) Time (Availability - Pre-Order, Immediate, or Wait List?)
2) Money (Machine Cost, not shipping cost)
3) Shipping (Time required, cost, and carrier)
4) Customer Service (Support, independent warranty, and secondary mediation)
You are not going to get all four.
Pick three from a good distributor.
If you have industry contacts, use them.

I got all four from Trent at Tilt.

#31 8 years ago
Quoted from beelzeboob:

I got all four from Trent at Tilt.

I am hoping he can send me some playing skill with mine LOL

#32 8 years ago
Quoted from Wolfmarsh:

Your secret code is too low.

Dang pinflation hits again! we talking 0084$

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 12.99
Cabinet - Decals
Bent Mods

€ 99.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Watssapen shop

$ 75.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
arcade-cabinets.com

$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 39.95
Playfield - Plastics
Hookedonpinball.com

$ 63.99
Cabinet - Other
Cento Creations

$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 16.50
Lighting - Led
Lermods

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

7,900 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Middletown, NY
$ 99.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 63.99
Cabinet - Other
Cento Creations

6,600 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Palm Desert, CA
$ 969.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Mödley Crüe

$ 25.00
Playfield - Protection
arcade-cabinets.com

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 49.95
$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 20.00
Playfield - Protection
Pinhead mods

$ 29.95
Playfield - Protection
ULEKstore

Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/best-place-to-buy-nib-sterns and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.