(Topic ID: 194560)

Best Place to Buy NIB for NE Illinois

By SuperHomer

6 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

#1 6 years ago

Fellow Pinsiders, I seek advice on where to by my first NIB pin. I've had great success purchasing a previously owned pin from some one on Pinside but I am kind of lost in the woods when it comes to getting a NIB.

Specifically, any recommendations of where to buy/avoid would be great. However, I'd also appreciate and advice on pitfalls to avoid or things to look for. What kind of pricing should I expect? What pricing would be "to good to be true"?

I've already searched the web like a noob and found a few online retailers but I have no way of knowing who's got the best customer service and/or reputation. I.E. Which place is going to be there for me when something goes wrong?

So if you have time and have any input to share, please do so.

Thank you!

#2 6 years ago

Great American Pinball if you buy in state. Mike is in Chicago and a great guy to deal with.

You'll save on sales tax if you buy out of state and pick it up. If you do that, Chris at Kingpin Games is awesome and gives free shipping to vets. You will also get a two year warranty with him.

Both of these guys are on Pinside.

#3 6 years ago
    Quoted from SuperHomer:

Fellow Pinsiders, I seek advice on where to by my first NIB pin. I've had great success purchasing a previously owned pin from some one on Pinside but I am kind of lost in the woods when it comes to getting a NIB.
    Specifically, any recommendations of where to buy/avoid would be great. However, I'd also appreciate and advice on pitfalls to avoid or things to look for. What kind of pricing should I expect? What pricing would be "to good to be true"?
    I've already searched the web like a noob and found a few online retailers but I have no way of knowing who's got the best customer service and/or reputation. I.E. Which place is going to be there for me when something goes wrong?
    So if you have time and have any input to share, please do so.
    Thank you!

I am a distributor for jjp and for spooky. I can get others for you if you. Like Chad said, if you are not in the same state as me, then I don't have to collect sales tax from you (although you are supposed to claim it on your taxes).

Let me know what you are looking for. I currentlly have 2 hobbit and a wizards of Oz in stock that were used at a show for one weekend.

Christopher

#4 6 years ago

Kurt Hill has an excellent reputation.
    http://www.hemispheresamusements.com
    Hemispheres

#5 6 years ago

Bought a game from him a few years ago. Good guy.

#6 6 years ago

Depends on which game you're going to get. Different distributors sell different games for the most part. I use JJ at Game Exchange in Colorado because I refuse to give the state of Illinois any more of my tax money. I have heard good things about Kingpin as stated above and he would be my second choice.

#7 6 years ago

Thanks for the great input so far. I guess I neglected to specify that I am looking at a Stern pin.

#8 6 years ago
    Quoted from GhostThruster:

You'll save on sales tax if you buy out of state and pick it up.

You'll owe the 6.25% use tax.
    http://tax.illinois.gov/Individuals/FAQs-Use-Tax.htm

#9 6 years ago

Call around to a few distributors based on the manufacture you are looking for. What game are you thinking about?

#10 6 years ago

If you are new to the hobby, then make sure you buy from a full-service dealer. As others have said, do your homework and shop around, but just keep in mind the cheapest is not always the best deal. Given all of the issues the different manufacturers seem to be having lately, you will want a dealer that will not only stand behind the product, but one that has a little clout when it comes to the manufacturer as well. There are several of those type of dealers around, and yes, I would unfortunately buy out of state because the tax is a big chunk, and these things cost enough the way it is. Go to the manufacturer page and look for a list of distributors and call them. I can recommend Game Room Guys out of Michigan....they are going to be a few dollars higher than most, but their service is impeccable. They helped me get a playfield swap and a cabinet issue addressed in a very easy fashion. There are many others out there, some of which have already posted here. Don't be afraid to ask for references......NIB pins are a big investment and you want a dealer that understands that and will value you as a customer.

#11 6 years ago
    Quoted from Manimal:

can recommend Game Room Guys out of Michigan

I wpuld say they should be avoided at all costs! Op, do your research before even thinking about which distributorto use. There will be opinions on all, but some have overwhelming bad and it is for good reason.

Others mentioned as good are all worth calling, kingpin for jjp and spooky, trent at tilt or jj at game exchange for stern.

#12 6 years ago
    Quoted from Whysnow:

I wpuld say they should be avoided at all costs! Op, do your research before even thinking about which distributorto use. There will be opinions on all, but some have overwhelming bad and it is for good reason.
    Others mentioned as good are all worth calling, kingpin for jjp and spooky, trent at tilt or jj at game exchange for stern.

All I can say is I have bought several NIB from them and their service was stellar. When other GB playfields much worse than mine were getting denied replacements, I got mine swapped right away with no questions asked. Had another cabinet issue they straightened out for me within 3 days and kept me posted every step of the way. I know they are a bit high compared to some others, but I will gladly pay for the service I have received. If I remember right, there was lass than $300 difference between all of the reputable folks I called. I am sure there are complaints and praises for every dealer if they have been around long enough. Along with asking others as you are here, make sure you also call the dealer and ask them any questions you might have. if they won't answer them then pass. A solid dealer will go out of their way to make sure you are comfortable with the purchase.

#13 6 years ago

Great American Pinball in Chicago did me right on my NIB KISS Pro last year. Great price delivered to eastern Iowa. Nice guy.

1 week later
    #14 6 years ago

I'm in SE Wisconsin and tried to use Great American Pinball in Chicago to buy a NIB Metallica Prem and Aerosmith Prem in the past week. I sent contact form on website with no response. I called phone with no response, I called a 2nd time and he said he would get back to me, but didn't. I texted him and he didn't respond. I left voicemail with no response and finally I PM'd Mike on here. (I'm only like an hour from them and really had heard good things???) Final attempt to give him the business and I Pm'd him here 2 days ago he responded saying he didn't have Metallica Premiums. Mike said he would follow up with a call tomorrow(Monday) with pricing on the Aerosmith premium for me. It's been 3 days and still nothing... I guess they are too busy to worry about pinball sales and customers or not sure, but maybe they don't specialize in NIB Sterns?

Either way, I called JJ Gexchange in CO, first with questions and then he set me up. Great transaction, great communication, paid and shipped the same day and should be here to Wisconsin by the end of the week (hopefully)... I can't say enough about it. Thanks JJ.

#15 6 years ago

Melissa and Chris at Cointaker are great to deal with.

3 weeks later
    #16 6 years ago

Pinballpro.com has new Stern machines in stock of you are still in the market.

Also here is the list of Authorized Stern Distributors
    http://sternpinball.com/find-a-retailer

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/best-place-to-buy-nib-for-ne-illinois?hl=manimal and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.