Topic Stats

• 15 posts
  • 12 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 2 years ago by jeffpaletz
  • Topic is favorited by 2 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

#1 2 years ago

Right now i have the full amount of pitch setup on all my machines. I have the leg levers ran all the way out on the back and all the way in on the front. But I'm not sure if this is the best setting. I'm curious what you guys do to provide a fun and peppy game without making the gameplay too fast or difficult on these older machines.

Thanks

#2 2 years ago

high tapped right?

#3 2 years ago
Quoted from tscottn:

Right now i have the full amount of pitch setup on all my machines. I have the leg levers ran all the way out on the back and all the way in on the front. But I'm not sure if this is the best setting. I'm curious what you guys do to provide a fun and peppy game without making the gameplay too fast or difficult on these older machines.
Thanks

I get the games working properly. Level front and back, bumpers need to pop and flippers need power. Worst playfield issue is inserts being low so fix them and shine that playfield.

That’s all you need.

#4 2 years ago
Quoted from TheLaw:

high tapped right?

Negative on the hightap but I am using orange and yellow dot coils on the flippers.

#5 2 years ago

Every wedgehead has its own best pitch setting, there is no one "correct" setting. Some tables are better when they play faster, and some are better when they play a little slower. As already noted, it's important that the game be in good mechanical condition and playable (decent flippers, no sunken inserts, etc), but pitch is important, too.

I use two-inch levelers in the front with thin jam nuts below the leg, and three-inch levelers in the back with standard thickness nuts positioned below the leg. I run the front levelers in as far in as possible, adjust for left-to-right level as needed, and then lock the leveler position with the jam nuts. I run the back levelers out a bit more than half way, level the game left-to-right, and then lock the leveler position with the standard nuts. Note that the back locking nuts are important as they help to support the weight of the cabinet and head. If you don't lock these nuts up against the underside of the leg, they don't provide any support, and that tends to put extra stress on the threaded holes going through the back legs.

After setting up a trial pitch, I play a few games. If the machine seems slow I'll raise the back levelers more. If the ball is dropping too fast to the bottom, I'll lower them. It isn't really that difficult to get a feel for the best pitch of any wedgehead, just experiment until it seems right.

- TimMe

#6 2 years ago

Supposedly, the starting point is to level the bottom edge of the cabinet.

#7 2 years ago

Really depends on the game. In general I find playfields with open middles do better with more speed, while games with a lot of shots/posts/etc. front and center do better a little floaty, allowing more side to side action. But there are always exceptions.

#8 2 years ago
Quoted from tscottn:

Negative on the hightap but I am using orange and yellow dot coils on the flippers.

I used to high tap but later realized this shouldn’t be done if the location (home) has proper voltage and the assemblies are properly rebuilt.

#9 2 years ago
Quoted from jrpinball:

Supposedly, the starting point is to level the bottom edge of the cabinet.

That's what the manufacturers recommended.

#10 2 years ago

All good advice; only exception would be bringing EMs to shows... I always high tap them, and they still don't quite have the snap they do at home on normal tap.

#11 2 years ago

Second what Dono said. Have to high tap an EM bought to a show.

It is not uncommon for the line voltage at a pinball show at a big exhibition hall to drop well under 110 V when all the machines are active. I've measured as little as 107 V coming out of the line chords before, but most of the time it is somewhere between 110-114v and you need to high tap or the game will play really poorly.

#12 2 years ago
Quoted from Runbikeskilee:

Second what Dono said. Have to high tap an EM bought to a show.
It is not uncommon for the line voltage at a pinball show at a big exhibition hall to drop well under 110 V when all the machines are active. I've measured as little as 107 V coming out of the line chords before, but most of the time it is somewhere between 110-114v and you need to high tap or the game will play really poorly.

I have acquired a Variac, and have used it at shows. Works great.

#13 2 years ago
Quoted from jrpinball:

I have acquired a Variac, and have used it at shows. Works great.

And also a great implement in general. I use it on almost every machine as I'm going through them..
Some of the flooring in the game room seems to be a little lower at the walls. Not much, but maybe
enough, and since I have both, I put 2" levelers in the front, and 3" in the back and once the machine
is in it's home position, I level accordingly..
The 2" levelers came with 3/8" nuts, and since some of the rear leg levelers are adjusted quite high, I
place those nuts on the rear levelers underneath the legs to prevent any possible weak thread slippage..

#14 2 years ago
Quoted from Dono:

All good advice; only exception would be bringing EMs to shows... I always high tap them, and they still don't quite have the snap they do at home on normal tap.

I remember one York show several years ago . I brought an "Old Chicago" to sell for a friend. It was an unusually warm and humid weekend. When the air conditioning came on in the hall, the AC coming to the games must have been maybe 105V or so. The flippers on the game could barely send the ball halfway up the playfield!
Needless to say, the game didn't sell. Once it was back at my friend's house, it played fine.

1 week later
#15 2 years ago

Gottlieb games state in the manual that the pitch should be 3.5 degrees. So there is a specified pitch setting. Obviously the owner of the game can do what he wants. I set my games at 4% and find that to be fun and challenging.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Trade
Machine - For Trade
Hedgesville, WV
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Birmingham, AL
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 12.00
$ 15.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
UpKick Pinball

$ 3.00
Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 15.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
UpKick Pinball

Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/best-pitch-setting-for-wedgeheads?hl=runbikeskilee and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.