New! Dark mode!

Browsing Pinside at night? Getting tired of all the white? Switch to dark mode using the button in the top right (or CTRL-B)!

(Topic ID: 210456)

Best pins for kids

By jidorman

2 years ago

Topic Stats

• 92 posts
  • 71 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 2 years ago by mjfisher
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

There have been 5 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

CD7D6B41-CCE4-481E-B674-163276EA491A (resized).jpeg
20180224_160140 (resized).jpg
468B9E33-9762-4BD3-B529-3CA4E7DA1B1E (resized).jpeg
T_on Star Wars (resized).JPG
109-0926_IMG (resized).jpg

There are 89 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 2.
#51 2 years ago

I have a 2 yr old son and 4 yr old daughter. Like others have said, I've bought games for my wife and I, not for the kids. Our lineup includes TWD, Baywatch, Gorgar, ToM, Target Alpha, Paragon, and a TNA on the way. My son as no aversion to playing any of them, and tbh, gravitates towards TWD and Baywatch. He calls TWD "Zombies" and Baywatch by name (as well as Gorgar, and "Magic"). Right now, he chimp flips, but can definitely trap and hit shots. Sometimes, I feel like I'm letting him play TOO much, but he only ever comes down when I'm playing. My daughter likes to play occasionally, but isn't nearly as into it as my son is. When on location, they choose whatever tickles their fancy at the moment.

TLDR; get games you want to play, and if the kids play it, then that's awesome. IME, they aren't drawn to one theme more than the other based on what's on the backbox, cabinet, or PF.

#52 2 years ago

I would say either Shrek or POTC. The POTC on route near me constantly has kids playing it.

#53 2 years ago

Of the machines I've owned my girls liked Solar Ride (Barbie on a Horse) and Jurassic Park. They really don't play all that much though, so I would never buy a machine specifically for them. Of my current collection they actually seem to like Bram Stoker's Dracula. My girls are weird though. One of my 6-year old's saw the preview for the new IT movie and has been begging me to watch it.

#54 2 years ago

My kids really love my Frontier. I think this era of games our straight forward and easier to understand. I am eyeing a TNA and judging by others postings, kids seem to like it a lot. I suspect because it’s retro based with a simple straight forward goal but with modern sounds, lights. I am curious to see how mine feel about it because of it’s toughness though.

#55 2 years ago

I would say DMD era from the 90's like MM, WCS, AFM, TAF, ...something with some simple objectives and something cool they can see like the castle exploding. Someone suggested Flintstones and I think that would be good. Gilligan's Island maybe.

#56 2 years ago

The P3 has games designed specifically for kids, just as it has other games designed for pinheads. Moving forward, we'll be creating more game for both groups (and many more).

Feedback from customers with kids who don't play much pinball is that the P3 brings them in more than any of their other machines. Some of the games (ie. Barnyard, Cannon Lagoon, and ROCs) help engage them with less complex rules than traditional games, allowing them to learn rules, aiming, and ball control before trying more complex/traditional games like Lexy Lightspeed and the forthcoming Cosmic Cart Racing.

Getting kids into pinball is one of the primary reasons we developed a platform machine with swappable hardware modules and a growing game library.

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/children-and-pinball#post-3436099

- Gerry

https://www.multimorphic.com

#57 2 years ago
Quoted from Frippertron:

JID, are you thinking new game or older game?

No preference. I want TSPP for me, but I'm not wedded to it. Amd for the moment, unfortunately, it'll only be one pin.

#58 2 years ago

My kids have enjoyed all of my games.

Jungle lord was their favorite. They also all three loved medieval madness.

#59 2 years ago

Alice Cooper's Nightmare Castle.

Alice told Spooky he wanted a game his grand kids could play. True story!

#60 2 years ago
Quoted from jidorman:

No preference. I want TSPP for me, but I'm not wedded to it. Amd for the moment, unfortunately, it'll only be one pin.

Shop around see what you can find. Watch a lot of gameplay videos and you have some great places in NYC to play, you should talk to local guys like CrazyLevi. Just remember these things seem to multiply! And if you get sick of something, you can always sell it for close to what you paid for it. Good luck!

#61 2 years ago

Is it me or does it seem like the real young kids, like 6 yrs old or younger, like pins more than older kids? I don't have a lot of young kids that come over but the ones that do get very excited about the pins. It's hard to listen to them constantly bang on the flippers but I know the games can take it. I just really enjoy when someone else has fun with my pins, especially kids. As a kid, I would of freaked out if I walked into someone's house with arcade games. Guess that was a different time.

#62 2 years ago

Some good older games with universal appeal: Comet, Cyclone and Taxi.

#63 2 years ago

I’ve said it before, Super Mario is what kids gravitate towards. Then TMNT and Fastbreak. Fastbreak is actually fun... the other 2... meh

#64 2 years ago

or xbox or ipad/iphone..."kids these days" in the ADD generation get bored quick.

Buy what you want, chances are the kids aren't in for the long haul.

#66 2 years ago

For a 4 year old? Get them a Zizzle or a Sentinel game. Something they can nudge. Won't cost much, and you won't care much of they break it. There are some cheap and simple mods that can improve those games a lot. Heck, if you have an Arduino and some time, you could add a secondary logic layer to the game, read switches and trigger sounds and lights independent of the original game. Kinda makes me want to get another Zizzle and document how to do that.
Anyway, get the full size games you want, and give the kids something simpler to play with until they are ready.

#67 2 years ago

Space Jam and World Cup Soccer were both big hits with my kids.

#68 2 years ago

I was also surprised at how much my kids and guests liked the Judge Dredd supergame option. The game starts with a two-ball multiball, and you are given about thirty seconds to knock down all five drop targets. If you do, a 6-ball multiball starts.

#69 2 years ago

My kids have truly enjoyed Party Zone. They get a kick out of the moving talking head. They also enjoy my World Cup Soccer, it's not a hard game and the object is pretty straight forward.

#70 2 years ago
#71 2 years ago

Also, what about Rocky and Bullwinkle?

#72 2 years ago

Bad Girls, no wait,that would be the worst. And possibly the worst theme of all time.

#73 2 years ago

We went through this thought process in the latter half of 2017. Went around trying different games seeking to find what captured the interest of our kids. The new Star Wars seemed to fit the bill best. It's a theme they are familiar with. The LCD screen is great for their interaction and brings forward tons of movie clips they can relate to. When they hit the hyperloop it's a big deal for them. On screen "video games" like navigating the falcon is also cool. My 7 year old probably asks to play 3-4 times per week and we've had it for about 2 months now. No regrets on this purchase.

T_on Star Wars (resized).JPG

#74 2 years ago

WD, grow up or GTFO

#75 2 years ago
#76 2 years ago
Quoted from jawjaw:

Is it me or does it seem like the real young kids, like 6 yrs old or younger, like pins more than older kids? I don't have a lot of young kids that come over but the ones that do get very excited about the pins. It's hard to listen to them constantly bang on the flippers but I know the games can take it. I just really enjoy when someone else has fun with my pins, especially kids. As a kid, I would of freaked out if I walked into someone's house with arcade games. Guess that was a different time.

I find this to be true as well

#77 2 years ago
Quoted from Alamo_Pin:

I was also surprised at how much my kids and guests liked the Judge Dredd supergame option. The game starts with a two-ball multiball, and you are given about thirty seconds to knock down all five drop targets. If you do, a 6-ball multiball starts.

I didn’t know about this...sounds very cool and I will have to try it at the Golden State Festival or Arcade Expo!

I would think more games would have these type of options programmed into them.

#78 2 years ago

My kids loved my Super Mario bros' Mushroom world. They also like Funhouse, Cyclone, Comet and Addams Family.
My 12 year old daughters favorite game is now Scared Stiff.
Dollar for dollar a nice used Comet would be the way to go.

#79 2 years ago

Of any pin I have had, Jurassic Park has consistently received the most attention from kids that come over. The theme of dinosaurs is identifiable, they like the T-Rex eating the ball, they like hatching baby dinosaurs (the captive ball), and do not seem to mind how brutal the ball times are. Overall very little time spent playing, however.

#80 2 years ago

My nieces and nephew put my IJ, TZ and EatPM to the test back before Christmas. My youngest niece likes Elvira, the older niece prefers TZ and my nephew goes between TZ and IJ.

I think my youngest niece prefers Elvira since it’s a bit more silly, simpler to play, and it has some really good light effects.
My older niece just loves the mini playfield on TZ.
And my nephew...I’m not sure why he prefers TZ and IJ. Maybe because I’ve had them longer and they are the two he has played the most. I picked up Elvira a little over a year ago...

468B9E33-9762-4BD3-B529-3CA4E7DA1B1E (resized).jpeg

#81 2 years ago

Of my lineup the kids gravitate towards AFM. Simple rules and achievable goals with humor and jiggly martians.

#82 2 years ago

My kids started playing from a very young age and have enjoyed all my pins. I would say MB, IJ & TAF have stayed the longest and they’ve enjoyed these the most.

#83 2 years ago

Actually my grandkids like the new game boxes they play with them way more than my pins. They use them as forts and puppet theaters.

They are 8,6 and 2. The oldest my grandson likes Metallica maybe because of his dad. Also IM . 6 year old granddaughter likes woz likes to capture Dorothy. 2 year old goes to afm.

Bottom line as mentioned before I buy what I like to play since I play by far the most.

#84 2 years ago

Most of my friends kids that come by enjoy dialed in the most.

#85 2 years ago

Safecracker is always a hit with the kids!

#86 2 years ago

My kids are 7 and 9. Their favorites from my collection are The Hobbit, AFM, DESW, and RoadShow. I recently traded my Hobbit for a STLE and got grief from them both until Hobbit returned.

#87 2 years ago

Took my daughter today to play for the first time in her life. I'm optimistic. She really loved it. She played 4 different machines at two different locations and enjoyed each one, though she wasn't too fond of the graphics on the Metallica machine. Thanks for all the comments and insight. I'm pretty amped about pinball being a success thus far.

20180224_160140 (resized).jpg

#88 2 years ago

This ones is always spinning with the classics.

CD7D6B41-CCE4-481E-B674-163276EA491A (resized).jpeg

1 week later
#89 2 years ago

Cannon Lagoon
ROCS
Barnyard (for the 4 yo)
Jurassic Park

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 99.00
Playfield - Other
Arcade Upkeep
$ 65.00
Boards
Pinball Haus
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
$ 229.99
Trade
Machine - For Trade
Nisswa, MN
$ 12.99
Cabinet - Other
Medisinyl Mods
$ 79.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods
$ 39.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Concealed Art
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Austin, TX
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Malden, MA
$ 10.00
Playfield - Other
Loop Combo Pinball
$ 29.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Cave Creek, AZ
$ 139.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Bent Mods
$ 19.99
Electronics
PinballElectronics.com
$ 8.00
Electronics
Third Coast Pinball
$ 89.99
$ 47.00
$ 35.00
Various Novelties
Pinball Photos
$ 254.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
$ 369.00
Cabinet - Decals
Mircoplayfields
$ 999.00
$ 17.50
$ 9.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade
$ 17.50
Playfield - Plastics
Pinball Haus
$ 7.50
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Haus
Hey modders!
Your shop name here
There are 89 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 2.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside