7 years ago

Topic Stats

• 81 posts
  • 71 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 7 years ago by mechslave
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

One image has been uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

Iphone_037.JPG

There are 81 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.
    #1 7 years ago

What games that you own are the most enjoyed / played when you have people over - particularly kids and families (your kids' sports teams, parties with other families).

#2 7 years ago

Acdc is big. Family guy is a big hit. Avatar, Simpsons.

#3 7 years ago

In my collection, Simpsons gets the most play by non pinballers by a fair margin.

#5 7 years ago

Casual pinball players will try any theme they like, but tend to re-play simpler games. Games where you can just bat the ball around and stuff will happen.

#6 7 years ago

Monopoly is always a big hit at my place with non-pinball folks. It's a theme / set of rules that almost everyone already knows....

Later,
    EV

#7 7 years ago

Blackout seems to be the first one they go to at my place I think because it looks the simplest

#8 7 years ago

Movie themes are good for non-pinball people. It's something they easily recognize. When I have folks over they head right to Star Wars and B.S. Dracula.

#10 7 years ago
    #11 7 years ago

Family guy is probably not kid appropriate.

The Simpsons
    The Addams Family
    Star Wars
    Fish Tales

#12 7 years ago

At my place AC/DC is by far the favorite of non-pinball people. Followed by, in order, RFM, TFTC, and LOTR.

#13 7 years ago

Revenge From Mars beats out Jurassic Park every time. I mean, people love the dino, but then they see start with "Ooh, is that a 3D hologram? That's cool!" and get stuck there. It is also a little easier for them to play as far as hitting whatever the hologram is at the moment since it is linear mode based.

#14 7 years ago

MB and RFM are always big hits. WW and BOP get alot of love too.

#15 7 years ago

TFLE Combo gets the most plays by far.

#16 7 years ago

Getaway. Non pinheads can bash it around. After a game or two I explain they are trying to light the stop lights and hide in the hideout. Easy to point to and the stop lights are self-explanatory. A couple more plays and they are hooked. If there are a lot of non-pinheads over I will also change the setup to make it really easy.

For some strange reason they also gravitate towards BSD, but that doesn't last long

#17 7 years ago
    Quoted from copperpot:

In my collection, Simpsons gets the most play by non pinballers by a fair margin.

That's odd. In my collection it's easily the most neglected. People often comment on it, but few want to actually play it because they feel there's "too much going on".

PinBot and Wh20 are the two that get the most play. I'm not sure why more people don't gravitate towards Flash, some have said they like ramps.

#18 7 years ago

MM and AFM are GREAT games for hosting people. Everybody can kill at least one saucer or storm one castle within 3 balls even if they are just flailing around. They "get it" right away and it is very satisfying and fun. They immediately become addicted and want to do it again and again. The games also aren't very loud so it is easy to talk to people while they are playing.

For a rowdier crowd, AC/DC is awesome.

Of course, all the games I am pointing to are expensive. Some of the other choices people are making here are more affordable and plenty of fun.

#19 7 years ago

RFM usually has people waiting when the skeeball line is to long. The overflow usually hangs out a FGY

#20 7 years ago

Games that I have currently own or in the past that non pinheads would gravitate towards were:

WCS94, Flintstones, Ripley's, X-Men, RFM, TOM, Roadshow

#21 7 years ago

POTC, WCS94, TAF and JP.

#22 7 years ago
    Quoted from Deaconblooze:

That's odd. In my collection it's easily the most neglected. People often comment on it, but few want to actually play it because they feel there's "too much going on".

I thought that's the way they would react too. I think people get a thrill out of being able to get it into the upper playfield and couch. They neglect all the other shots, but for some reason they LOVE that 'challenge' of getting the ball on the couch...

#23 7 years ago

Most non-pinheads gravitate to my HSII:The Getaway. Or, maybe Police Force, because it's not quite as intimidating and stealing someones points gives them an even chance at winning the game.

#24 7 years ago

SWE1/RFM all non pin heads relate to these.

#25 7 years ago
    Quoted from copperpot:

I thought that's the way they would react too. I think people get a thrill out of being able to get it into the upper playfield and couch.

To be fair, I probably provide too much information on how to play the game. I think pointing out the upper pf flippers (I'm surprised at how many people never even notice them) and couch is a good idea. Noted!

#26 7 years ago
    Quoted from Liftserv:

SWE1/RFM all non pin heads relate to these.

yup.

#27 7 years ago

So what is the worst for most people? LOTR? So far, my LOTR gets some initial interest which quickly fades when people realize how complex it is and they move on to RFM or TAF. If I really want to drive my guests away from LOTR I play a game and try to explain the rules as I go...

#28 7 years ago

Drivers, bowlers, touch screens. Just kidding of course. Champion pub, de star wars, GnR. But I still have yet to find a game my Dad will play. Had pin's for over 16 years, and he's never tried one game, once.

#29 7 years ago
    Quoted from jrobinso99:

So what is the worst for most people? LOTR?

Yep, LOTR wins the 'Too Complicated to even approach' award hands down.

#30 7 years ago

Taf for sure, everybody knows the addams family and his musical theme.

#31 7 years ago

WCS at my house.

The kids almost never touched LOTR when I had it.

#32 7 years ago

DW at my house, but from just observing in the wild, WCS, TAF, FGY and TSPP all get the attention of non-pinballers.

#33 7 years ago

Black Rose was the visitors choice until I picked up TSPP.

#34 7 years ago

Gottlieb's Mario Andretti is most popular at my house. Then AFM and DE Simpsons.

#35 7 years ago
    Quoted from kguenther6:

Gottlieb's Mario Andretti is most popular at my house. Then AFM and DE Simpsons.

Mario, really? I heard some negative reviews on this pin but haven't played it.

#36 7 years ago
    Quoted from jrobinso99:

Mario, really? I heard some negative reviews on this pin but haven't played it.

I'm not very fond of it and would love to sell it. But a lot of my non-pinball friends love it so it stays for now. It gives you guaranteed play time so if you lose your ball it will keep giving you another until you have played at least 2 minutes. And it puts up a post between the flippers to help keep you from loosing the ball. So non-pinball friends get a long game. I'm guessing that is why they like it so much.

#37 7 years ago

....one more vote for Getaway.

#38 7 years ago

I am no expert, but my non gaming friends and I go out on the town play the local pub pins. I have to say they seem to really enjoy, Whirlwind, MB and AFM. I also picked up a Doctor Who this weekend and they all seemed to really enjoy playing it at Sunday's Super Bowl Party. My guess is try and match the theme to your audience.

#39 7 years ago

Games with a flipper center post (specifically Pinbot) get longer ball times. Anything with upper flippers (f-14,HS) lose attention because non-pin folks can't remember there are upper flippers.

#40 7 years ago

Space Shuttle is the one every non-pinball person seems to gravitate to in my collection. I think because it's the easiest to understand. I thought RS would get more attention because of Red & Ted, but more non-pinball people like to watch others play it rather than play themselves . . . it's like a mini Chuck e Cheese show. Do they still have those shows?

#41 7 years ago

WW gets the most play at my place, followed by TAF

#43 7 years ago

MM gets most non pin head play at my place.

#44 7 years ago

Another mention for Black Rose. Also, DM seems to appeal to non-pinhead girls for some reason. Don't know if it's the naked Sly on the side or what?

#45 7 years ago

The women always go straight for the Crypt Keeper!

#46 7 years ago

I doubt there is an universal pin for Non-Pin people. I would make different suggestions for kids and adults. AC/DC might be an exception... most will become addicted to it.

Better have a variety of pins and see which one gets played.

#47 7 years ago
    Quoted from copperpot:

Yep, LOTR wins the 'Too Complicated to even approach' award hands down.

Oddly mine gets a ton of play at parties. Maybe it's the long ball times? Or maybe I'm just friends with a disproportionate number of Tolkein fans.

#48 7 years ago
    Quoted from krupa:

Oddly mine gets a ton of play at parties. Maybe it's the long ball times? Or maybe I'm just friends with a disproportionate number of Tolkein fans.

Or you simply don't try to explain all these complicated rules that are actually not necessary to enjoy that pin... Sure, you will enjoy learning them over time. But not need to know them during the first game, especially if you have zero past experience with pins...

#50 7 years ago

At my house, it was always POTC and WH2O. Everybody liked sinking the ship on POTC, and everybody liked shooting for ramps on WH2O.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
    $ 48.00
    Cabinet - Other
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 22.00
    Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 79.99
    Cabinet - Armor And Blades
    PinGraffix Pinside Shop
    $ 26.95
    $ 79.99
    PinGraffix Pinside Shop
    $ 14.99
    Hardware
    Chroma Pinball
    $ 999.00
    $ 25.00
    Hardware
    Tucson Pinball
    $ 229.99
    Lighting - Other
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 76.95
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    Super Skill Shot Shop
    $ 119.95
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Hookedonpinball.com
    $ 5,899.00
    Pinball Machine
    Little Shop Of Games
    Gameroom - Decorations
    Pinball Photos
    $ 4.95
    Apparel - Unisex
    ULEKstore
    $ 48.00
    Cabinet - Other
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    Apparel - Unisex
    Pinball Wheezer
    $ 249.00
    $ 79.99
    PinGraffix Pinside Shop
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    pinballmod
    Pinball Machine
    Pinball Pro
    Gameroom - Decorations
    Pinball Art Prints
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    PinBoss Mods
    $ 58.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Lermods
    $ 299.99
    Cabinet - Other
    PinGraffix Pinside Shop
    There are 81 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside