Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 20 posts
  • 20 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 6 years ago by jfre81
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

QUEyQUM0NkJGRDdEMkYxNDcwMjM6MDA4MTBhNzc5MGFkYmY1OWYzY2ZmYzczMTJkNTljMjc6Ojo6OjA= (resized).jpg
    Whirlwind (resized).jpg
    KISS LE side art (resized).jpg
    MB High Score 17 (resized).jpg
    100_0052 (resized).JPG
    #1 6 years ago

Greetings ladies and gents, I hope this is in the right place.
    I searched the forums and I did not see a question quite like this. What are some good suggestions for pins that would be good for a beginner? I recently got started in pinball on a Ghostbusters Pro and I loved it. But I had someone showing me some basics. If you had to select a pin for someone to walk up and play for the first time with little to no coaching other than reading the machine rules what would be a good list of pins? Not "easy" per say, more fun and less frustrating. I am both looking for a mix of old and new preferably. I saw a post on Geek and Sundry and I need to say I disagree with their choices. Like I love The Shadow but it is a mofo for me.
    Some that I have looked at:
    Super Mario Bros (Gottlieb, 1992). I have not played this, I am meaning to. But the game looks fairly accessible and most people are going to know and like the theme.
    Star Wars, Pro (Stern). I gotta say, I first played this machine recently and had a blast. Lots of loops, very high scoring, lots of stuff going on. Plus, ya know, Star Wars.
    Guns n Roses (Data East). If I could find one. I had a similar experience as I did with Star Wars, as soon as I put coins in things started happening and it was fun.
    The Getaway, High Speed 2 (Williams). Again, similar experience. The turbo charger is neat and the ball rockets around the track.
    I know this list is by no means exhaustive, my game knowledge is pretty limited being a newbie. So please share what you think, especially with new games on the market right now. If you could buy a game with the express purposes of it being friendly to new players what would it be?
    Cheers!

#2 6 years ago

Personally, I think HS2 is a pretty good starter pin. It isn’t that deep but it’s still a good game imo.

#3 6 years ago

A new in box or newer pin would be best for a beginner, hopefully would work trouble free for a while. A newer Stern pin would be your best option. It will be more expensive to buy the newer pins, but they will be more reliable and should have fewer issues. All Williams/Bally pins are all over 20 years old now.

#4 6 years ago

WCS
    That's World Cup Soccer
    Bally/Midway
    Simple, straightforward rule set with some extras along the way to the World Cup Finals in L.A.
    Good looking machine to boot- no pun intended.
    In a word? FUN!!

#5 6 years ago

The curse that any new collector runs into isn't the games that are available, it's so many of the people that buy and sell them.

If you choose to start with an older game to keep things cheap, somebody will try to sell you complete junk at top dollar. Not everybody but some. And they might get away with it because there aren't that many stores that sell and the margin is so low on stuff, it's part of the program. You won't recognize the hacks that some games have had done to them.

IOW, the first priority should be condition IMO for a beginner. Look for stuff like a remote battery mount. Clean boards and connectors that don't show extreme heat or cobbled wires. Or especially corrosion from the batteries damage. Look for piles of junk inside the game. Some people just leave broken parts inside as if they add some sort of value. Make certain the manual is there. Some guys hold them to sell later for a couple bucks. Never buy anything that "just needs a fuse or two" to get working.

#6 6 years ago

Scared Stiff: Easy to understand and fun to play

#7 6 years ago

Consider an EM! They're less expensive and have less complicated rule sets to learn, but can be just as challenging to play as modern games. You'll also find a lot more diversity in playfield layouts in the pre-'76 pinball world.

#9 6 years ago

I think just about any system 11 is a great choice.......

#10 6 years ago

An EM. So simple the rules are painted right on the playfield.

#11 6 years ago

Pinbot

#12 6 years ago
    Quoted from Ramjet:

Scared Stiff: Easy to understand and fun to play

Good call Scared Stiff is a classic and super fun and collectable .
    An other classic is Monster Bash super fun and collectable . One of the best if not the Best Pinball of all time . IMO
    For a newer title used STERN KISS is a great pinball with a code and shots that a varied and you do not need to be a rocket
    scientist to understand the rules .

Quoted from Stones:

I think just about any system 11 is a great choice.......

I have only owned one system 11 but this is a great suggestion .
    Taxi, Pin*Bot, Whirlwind
    If you want a NIB than STERN Star Wars Pro you said (you liked) . It is hard not a beginner level game play or code. But the code is palatable for a modern STERN . Good luck

100_0052 (resized).JPG100_0052 (resized).JPG

MB High Score 17 (resized).jpgMB High Score 17 (resized).jpg

KISS LE side art (resized).jpgKISS LE side art (resized).jpg

Whirlwind (resized).jpgWhirlwind (resized).jpg

QUEyQUM0NkJGRDdEMkYxNDcwMjM6MDA4MTBhNzc5MGFkYmY1OWYzY2ZmYzczMTJkNTljMjc6Ojo6OjA= (resized).jpgQUEyQUM0NkJGRDdEMkYxNDcwMjM6MDA4MTBhNzc5MGFkYmY1OWYzY2ZmYzczMTJkNTljMjc6Ojo6OjA= (resized).jpg

#13 6 years ago
    Quoted from Coz:

A new in box or newer pin would be best for a beginner, hopefully would work trouble free for a while. A newer Stern pin would be your best option. It will be more expensive to buy the newer pins, but they will be more reliable and should have fewer issues. All Williams/Bally pins are all over 20 years old now.

If you’re going to own pins, you’re going to have to work on them. I think the 90’s B/W are the way to go.

My vote would be for Getaway. Good game play. The super charger and in game shifting is cool.

#14 6 years ago

Getaway was my first pin. Fairly simple pin but lot's of fun. Sys11 pins are also easy to understand. While newer Stern games can be great with reliability, I find them very complicated to understand. Still, they can be fun to explore in a home environment. With the high costs of newer pins, I just think it's better to start with some cheaper pins and play as much as you can on location. Once you play a variety of games, you start to get a feel for what you like.

#15 6 years ago

LOTR - Great theme that resonates with most people, multiballs galore to keep it exiting, playfield layout that's supporting many different shots, not overly penalizing, easy to understand but deep ruleset, visually appealing!

#16 6 years ago

Out of your list I also like getaway HS2. Not deep but fun, fast, great music, cool theme.

I agree with start with a B/W and learn to do repairs/maintenance as you go. This site is such a great reference.

#17 6 years ago

Another system 11 vote here.

Enough going on to keep your interest and excitement for a while. Lots of help and parts available if you run into trouble.

Half the fun is the hunt, if you score big on your first pin there is little left to dream about

#18 6 years ago

Another vote for getaway. It was the first pin that I understood the rules on and quickly became addicted with trying to get through the gears.

Out of the games I’ve owned, the one that most beginners love is spiderman. It has a lot of shots that feel good and can be fun for all skill levels.

#19 6 years ago
    Quoted from RonSS:

Half the fun is the hunt, if you score big on your first pin there is little left to dream about

So true.

#20 6 years ago

Getaway has Steve Ritchie flow but not as tough as some of his earlier work like F-14 Tomcat or Black Knight. Good mix of something not too difficult to keep a ball in play, but one that will challenge you to be better. Should find one a lot cheaper than SW.

Also look at some Mark Ritchie games. like Taxi or Fish Tales. FT is the harder of those two, because most key shots carry varying factors of danger (Caster's club, captive ball on boat) and the multiball is not easy to keep going for long. Taxi is less likely to drain a clean target hit, but the shots aren't as easy as they can look, and it's fast. Picking up all passengers and the jackpot sounds and looks simple until you keep getting almost there and falling short. That one-more-game factor. Groove/toetap to the sounds of Chris Granner either way.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/best-pins-for-a-beginner?hl=jfre81 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.