Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 47 posts
  • 33 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 12 years ago by Atomicboy
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

DownloadedFile.jpeg

#1 12 years ago

Just wondering what are some good pins to pick up in the $1500 or less range.

#2 12 years ago

HS, Checkpoint, SW, LW3, JP, I could go on and on....

#3 12 years ago

Dependent on condition, which affects price and in no particular order:

Jurassic Park
    Bride of Pinbot
    Taxi
    Tales from the Crypt
    Whirlwind (non-diamond plated)
    Bram Stoker's Dracula
    Dirty Harry
    Frankenstein
    Stargate
    Flintstones
    Space Shuttle
    Party Zone
    DE Star Wars
    Who?Dunnit

Just to name a few possibilities...

#4 12 years ago

This section of Pinside is pretty useful for this type of inquiry:
    http://pinside.com/pinball/top-100/bangforbuck

My personal favorite budget buys would probably be Doctor Who, JM, Frankenstein, TS, BSD, Rollergames, & HS2.

#7 12 years ago

I purchased a shadow and a who dunnit? for under 1500/each love both of them.

#8 12 years ago

I'd like to add Medusa if you can find one. One of the first talkies and last of the zipper flippers makes it very collectible. You gotta like the theme though and it's not a fancy DMD machine. The light bar at the top is also unique.

#9 12 years ago

Frankenstein is actually a really nice machine for a Sega. It's got a lot of unusual bits of PF design, the strangest multiball rules ever (both starting it and the rules during it), it's fairly deep.

I think the designers were inspired by Pat Lawlor's designs... We have a cluttered left side of the playfield, a really important, really hard shot from an upper flipper, a scoop fairly low on the playfield (only Geneva is not a mode start, and it's not a drain monster)....

#10 12 years ago

Don't forget X-Files and WWF Royal Rumble. Plus most of the pre DMD machines.

#11 12 years ago

Man, this makes me happy! I've already got enough to get another pin!

BUT, I'm being greedy. Trying to save for another couple months to try and get a really nice pin.

#12 12 years ago
    Quoted from Johnny:

I'm being greedy. Trying to save for another couple months to try and get a really nice pin.

There are some really nice pins in that list. I just picked up a T3 that fits that catagory

Quoted from DrAzzy:

Frankenstein is actually a really nice machine for a Sega.

Agreed Frankie kept me entertained for longer than any other pin I have owned

#13 12 years ago

I've never actually played one myself, but many people claim that Baywatch is one of the most underrated games out there.

#14 12 years ago

Need to separate have purchased for under 1500 and can expect to find under 1500.

DE SW is a 2k pin and has been fore awhile.
    JP is on the border selling for 1400 - 1800 depending on condition, topper, and shaker.
    Shadow tends to go for over 1500 unless its beat.

Frankenstein is a neat title, but after owning one I would pass. It is difficult to sell because the display scares off buyers so if you don't like it you can get stuck. Also the displays are finicky. You need the right voltages at the display and the display board or it will reset or not display. (Ask me how I know) The only one I would own at this point is BF (which I do) because it is desirable enough that I wouldn't have trouble getting rid of it when I got bored. (if I ever do)

My suggestions.

TFTC
    JP
    WCS94

#15 12 years ago

I miss my JP, totally fun at the high end of that price range. High Speed, Pintbot, Taxi, Dr. Who, Comet, Cyclone, Whirlwind, Earthshaker, Xenon, etc... Any of the system 11 machines, there are even quite a few older machines that would be a blast to own if they weren't the only machine in your collection.

I have been shopping my system 9 Comet machine, found it WAY below $1500. Totally fun. Not super deep, but challenging and covered with an awesome art package. I really enjoy the older machines with personality. This may come as a shocker, but I don't even need multiball to have a good time.

#16 12 years ago
    Quoted from donjagra:

but I don't even need multiball to have a good time

straightedger

#17 12 years ago

I really like Phantom of the Opera too!

#18 12 years ago
    Quoted from emo:

There are some really nice pins in that list. I just picked up a T3 that fits that catagory

I just need some connections. I'm new to the hobby. Believe me, if I had a chance at a T3 for $1500, I'd buy it NOW

#19 12 years ago

DW if you're a Sci-fi fan, otherwise HS2. I'm surprised no one has mentioned T2? Not my favorite, but a lot of people like it and it'd be easy to resell.

#20 12 years ago

I got my Shadow for 1400 last year. I would consider it as in decent condition. It was posted on RGP and I was surprised that it was still available after contacting the seller a couple of days after the initial posting. Love that game. I know that if it was a different theme the value would skyrocket. I think that it has gone up in just the year that I have owned it.

JP and Getaway are 2 pins that are value pins to me. JP for the toys, Getaway for the flow.

I know that it is more than 1500 bucks, but NGG has always been an undervalued pin

#21 12 years ago

Ah-hem. I just happen to have a Getaway for $1400....Just saying.....A little room to wiggle on the price. But this isnt a shameless promotion of my pin for sale.

#22 12 years ago

1500 is more than enough for multiple pins. For my collection, entire collection Ive paid 200 for counterforce, 200 for fpII, 200 for raven, 25 for globetrotters, 60 for Alien, and 120 for elektra. So Im at a total of 905 dollars for my WHOLE collection. If I had 1500............................

#23 12 years ago
    Quoted from the96stang:

So Im at a total of 905 dollars for my WHOLE collection.

Did you have to stick any money into them?

#24 12 years ago

Doctor Who
    Fish Tales
    Whirlwind
    Johnny Mnemonic
    Stargate
    High Speed 2: Getaway
    Bram Stoker's Dracula
    The Shadow

lots of good/great games to be had

#25 12 years ago

Eh your friends may pass on good deals that they don't want. I have done that for a buddy. I have also sold pins below market value to guys I know if I don't want them. Usually though good deals come through hard work and an ability to leave at a moments notice.

#26 12 years ago
    Quoted from The_Dude_Abides:

This section of Pinside is pretty useful for this type of inquiry:
    http://pinside.com/pinball/top-100/bangforbuck

+1

#27 12 years ago
    Quoted from GoneFishinLvMsg:

Did you have to stick any money into them?

I am still waiting on that response too. Its okay the96stang...you can tell us, we are your friends.

#28 12 years ago
    Quoted from RawleyD:

Doctor Who
    Fish Tales
    Whirlwind
    Johnny Mnemonic
    Stargate
    High Speed 2: Getaway
    Bram Stoker's Dracula
    The Shadow

lots of good/great games to be had

Great list, three of those (JM, Fishtales, Drac) are in my all time top 10 list.

#29 12 years ago

many of the pins that are under 1500 are mostly the ones I want: JP, SW, FT, HS2, etc.

#30 12 years ago
    Quoted from jwwhite15:

I am still waiting on that response too. Its okay the96stang...you can tell us, we are your friends.

Yes, About 100 to 150 in rubbers, a few flipper rebuilds, and I actually got a perfectly working free mpu board for globetrotters.

#31 12 years ago
    Quoted from tk375:

I really like Phantom of the Opera too!

Now your talking, highly underrated pin as well as Black Rose.

#32 12 years ago
    Quoted from yenningcomity:

Frankenstein is a neat title, but after owning one I would pass. It is difficult to sell because the display scares off buyers so if you don't like it you can get stuck. Also the displays are finicky. You need the right voltages at the display and the display board or it will reset or not display. (Ask me how I know)

Finicky or not, I think the larger display on Frankenstein is good, in terms of it's impact on the game. I wish more machines used the large display - you can do a lot more in terms of animations with it.

#33 12 years ago

IMO, the 'cheaper' pins these days seem to be Data east, Sega, and Gottlieb. the pins that are asking more than 1500 seem to be newer sterns, all the 'high' demand williams pins of the late 80's through the 90's. and now.......jersey jack's WOZ.

my personal list of pins under 1500;

pinbot (yes i've seen them under 1500)
    demo man
    jurassic park
    dirty harry
    sharkey's shootout
    t2 (yes under 1500)

thats about all i could come up with under 1 minute.

#34 12 years ago

There is a T2 by me for sale for 1200. Don't have any room to put it. I wouldn't keep it though. It is way too easy.

#35 12 years ago

Am I the only one who only buys dirt cheap pins? 200 or less?

#36 12 years ago

I think is all about what you want and what you are willing to spend.

#37 12 years ago

I would like to get a newer pin than what I have, but the $$$ are not in the bank to do so. Maybe later. Saturday in Greensboro new Arcade.

#38 12 years ago
    Quoted from Ballsofsteel:

pinbot (yes i've seen them under 1500)

I see them under a $1000 all the time. There are a few on Mr. Pinball right now.

#39 12 years ago

Firepower.

They usually pop up for less than $500.

#40 12 years ago

There's a High Speed near where I live that's selling for $1000.

#41 12 years ago

judge dredd

#42 12 years ago
    Quoted from gweempose:

I've never actually played one myself, but many people claim that Baywatch is one of the most underrated games out there.

+1
    I got my Baywatch for around $800 (Dunno for sure, traded a Colt 1911 for it) and I think it is an awesome game. I've put about $200 in new parts in it, but I've got that thing running like a song now. Great pin to learn on as well. Highly recomend if you can find one.

#43 12 years ago
    Quoted from dnhayden:

I got my Baywatch for around $800

i could have gotten a real cherry baywatch HUO for 995. i just can't have anything to do with Hasselhof.

#44 12 years ago

i just can't have anything to do with Hasselhof.

DownloadedFile.jpegDownloadedFile.jpeg

#45 12 years ago

WCS94 - you can generally find them right around this price, and it's awesome. I really miss mine.

#46 12 years ago

If it's not your first pin, Congo is a fun player, but better in collections of 5 or more I think.

#47 12 years ago

as far as DMDs go:

Doctor Who
    Last Action Hero
    Judge Dredd

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/best-pins-1500-or-less and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.