(Topic ID: 107638)

Best Pinball Machines for Very Small Children?

By Multiball1

9 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 36 posts
  • 30 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 9 years ago by twenty84
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

DSC_0147.JPG
DSC_0145.JPG
DSC_0146.JPG
joust-pin-halloween.jpg
#1 9 years ago

Looking for a list of 2-3 pinballs that would be the best for small children.

I have two little girls, 3 and 5 years old. They absolutely love joining me in the gameroom and frequently ask if they can play pinball with Daddy. Problem is most of the games, even ones we'd consider slow, seem to be too fast for them. While some of the games have launch buttons the ones with shooter rods seem very difficult.

I'm looking for games that are very easy and very slow playing (I know I can also adjust pitch) and that have a lot of little bells and whistles to keep the interest of such young kids.

Given the interest is already there, I'm looking to nurture it as I'd love for them to enjoy my hobby. Just afraid if I don't find an appropriate game that they will lose interest out of frustration.

Really appreciate any and all opinions and why you think so.
Thanks!

#2 9 years ago

Punchy the clown
Mario bros Mushroom world

Both smaller cabinets

#3 9 years ago

My two three year olds like the EMs I have probably more than the DMD and SS games. They have more ball control and if you get games with drop targets, they have obvious goals to shoot for and they can understand when a Drop Target is hit and falls. And the 3.5 - 4.5 degree pitch is a lot slower than most SS games were designed around.

My son especially likes Kings and Queens but only because I showed him how to put 5 balls into play at once. He just likes all the noise!

Otherwise, you might want to look for a game like Mushroom World or Punchy the Clown since those were specifically designed for smaller kids to play.

#4 9 years ago

I have a cocktail pinball (Take Five) paid $200 bucks for it and after fixing a few things it hasn't broke once, kids love playing it because its so low they don't have to get on a chair.

#5 9 years ago

Added benefit of Mushroom World is the ticket dispenser. I can see them getting excited about that.

#6 9 years ago

My 5 year old loves fish tales. It's fast, but he loves it. Even though it is faster, he keeps the ball in play longer with fish than with Jurassic Park

#7 9 years ago

My kids love interflip Dragon""...............BAO

#8 9 years ago
Quoted from Multiball1:

Added benefit of Mushroom World is the ticket dispenser. I can see them getting excited about that.

Punchy the Clown has a ticket dispenser as well.

Dinosaur Eggs might be another good one, and it too has a ticket dispenser.

#9 9 years ago
Quoted from MattElder:

Punchy the Clown has a ticket dispenser as well.
Dinosaur Eggs might be another good one, and it too has a ticket dispenser.

Appreciate everyone's recs so far. Looked for a you tube video on Dinosaur Eggs but no luck. I'll look into that one too.

Punchy the clown is at Modern Pinball in New York City so maybe I'll take a ride and try it out.

#10 9 years ago

If you're considering Mushroom World maybe you should also consider Nudge It and Bell Ringer, those types of games... "flipperless pinball" but come in the short and small cabinets which is kind of fun.

#11 9 years ago
Quoted from Multiball1:

Looked for a you tube video on Dinosaur Eggs but no luck.

Here you go:

#12 9 years ago

After I actually looked them up I realized that they didn't make too many of Nudge It or Bell Ringer but if you come across them they're probably worth considering. There was a Nudge It, a Bell Ringer, and a Mushroom World at the York show this year.

#13 9 years ago

What about the Zizzle "pinballs" ?

#14 9 years ago

Perhaps better for boys, but my 3 and 5 year old love RFM. My 5 year old double flips as soon as the ball gets to the flippers and still consistently gets through at least one mode. He will also sit next to the machine and study the cabinet art.

#15 9 years ago

My 6 year old daughter never played pinball before, but pulled up a stool when she saw LOTR come in the other day. LOTR is a temp trade with a friend. I got one flipper and she has the other. High score this week is 13 million together. Even better she went down the line with me and played all my games. WCS is pretty fun also and her 2nd favorite. Goal!

#16 9 years ago

Space Mission. Really easy and inlanes catch the ball and shoot it for them.

#17 9 years ago
Quoted from pinnyheadhead:

My 6 year old daughter never played pinball before, but pulled up a stool when she saw LOTR come in the other day. LOTR is a temp trade with a friend. I got one flipper and she has the other. High score this week is 13 million together. Even better she went down the line with me and played all my games. WCS is pretty fun also and her 2nd favorite. Goal!

Lol my boys do that. My 10 yr old girl is not interested in pinball at all. None of her friends have shown any interest in playing my Getaway either. Girls mature pretty fast so I'm not sure I would invest much in pinball just for little girls.

#18 9 years ago

I was going to throw Super Mario Bros out there (kids gravitate toward mine, although I have the full size one, so it is still a little fast for them), but since folks are mentioning flipperless games, Hyperball is very popular with my 6 y/o's friends too.

Super exclusive ad from the Pinside Marketplace!
#19 9 years ago

Road show. My 4y/o loves it. Plenty of open space and scoops and animation to slow the play.

#20 9 years ago

My 3 year old and any friend's kids that came over loved playing Flintstones.
Dinosaurs, bright colors, upbeat music, bowling.
I recently sold it to a friend down the street because his kids loved it so much.

#21 9 years ago

William's Joust:
1. single player
2. (or) head-to-head 2 player at same time
3. very low to ground
4. no plunger for either player, start button activated
5. it's fast, but there's usually lots of balls to bang at on the playfield
6. great for short attention spans
7. kids go bananas over them

joust-pin-halloween.jpgjoust-pin-halloween.jpg

#22 9 years ago

I have 6 year old twins and a 3 year old (all boys), and they all really enjoy Space Jam and WCS. WCS is great as the goal is an obvious target for them to aim for. Space Jam is not the best pin by any means, but the kids love the call outs and the one of the older ones really focuses on getting each of the modes there.

#23 9 years ago

Doesn't matter. All you need is a couple buttons and flippers. They will love anything that makes noise and interacts. My vote is hype up the cheapest pin you have and let them go at it.

#24 9 years ago

Just a suggestion, I found a Pinball by Briarwood (a Brunswick Corp.) named Circus at a garage sale and picked it up for my kids 9 & 7.

My wife and both kids, (boy and girl) play it all the time. They pass on my Taxi and Monday Night Football games, which is kind of a bummer but at least they are still playing pinball and having fun with it

Circus plays slow and is only a one player game but they have fun with it!

Good Luck!!

DSC_0146.JPGDSC_0146.JPG DSC_0145.JPGDSC_0145.JPG DSC_0147.JPGDSC_0147.JPG
#25 9 years ago

Circus looks pretty cool for the Briarwood Sentinel WonderWizard home machine category. if its like the Sentinel's, flippers are mechanically linked to one solenoid and not very difficult to make them independent instead.

I think any machine they like to play is good, easy enough to get a 10ft length of angle iron and whip up a set of shorty legs to bolt on for a few years, they'd probably love it! if you cant weld nuts to the bottoms for leg levelers, try asking a guy at some local muffler or steel fab shop? maybe where the angle stock is obtained can complete them at reasonable price, most hardware stores have allright leg levelers available.

#26 9 years ago

i wouldn't recommend any pinball for a 3-5 year old. i'd wait for them to like the ones you already have.

#27 9 years ago

Put them on a step and play "Shrek" good game

#28 9 years ago

I would say Stern Playboy or TWD, but I don't have children so I'm clueless on that front.

#29 9 years ago

Yes, the flippers are linked together... never thought of separating them

#30 9 years ago

wcs94 and flintstones are popular with the kids

#31 9 years ago
Quoted from Ranhorton:

My 3 year old and any friend's kids that came over loved playing Flintstones.Dinosaurs, bright colors, upbeat music, bowling.I recently sold it to a friend down the street because his kids loved it so much.

Yup, my almost 2 year old niece loves my mom's Flintstones. We converted it to the cartoon version with the translite and decal, but she knows how to launch the ball and flip. (Well, one side or the other since she can't reach both.)

#32 9 years ago

I'd say if you want a real machine, not the kid aligned ones, WCS94 is a solid choice. Lots of action and fun for flippers, but also a good bit of skill for Dad too.

#33 9 years ago
Quoted from CactusJack:

My two three year olds like the EMs I have probably more than the DMD and SS games. They have more ball control and if you get games with drop targets, they have obvious goals to shoot for and they can understand when a Drop Target is hit and falls. And the 3.5 - 4.5 degree pitch is a lot slower than most SS games were designed around.
blockquote>

I second this. My 7 year old plays the hell out of my 1970 Dipsy Doodle and barely touches Big Game (can hardly spread her arms out to touch the buttons haha) or Strikes and Spares.

I say the more simple, the better. Theme doesn't matter to her as much as obvious things to shoot for.

#34 9 years ago
Quoted from jawjaw:

Lol my boys do that. My 10 yr old girl is not interested in pinball at all. None of her friends have shown any interest in playing my Getaway either. Girls mature pretty fast so I'm not sure I would invest much in pinball just for little girls.

HS2 was my second pin. Love it and it made me a good, not great, player! My wife likes Getaway a lot for some reason and does not care for our WCS or LOTR?! I thought all wife's who play some pinball enjoy those 2 pins?

#35 9 years ago

I have a 7 yr old daughter. Her favorite is Star Trek but she's been playing and loving Buckaroo for years.

The bells, chimes, backglass animation are all fun. Simple to maintain and repair, inexpensive and you'll get every penny back if/when you move on.

#36 9 years ago

My 4 year old son loves Star Trek. My girls (age 6 &wanted a machine with a theme more appropriate for little girls and I wanted a second game that I also would enjoy. We settled on CV, and everyone is happy.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 35.00
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Haus

Machine - For Sale
Tacoma, WA
$ 10.00
Playfield - Other
Loop Combo Pinball

$ 19.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Daddio's 3D Printed Mods

$ 15.00
Playfield - Other
Nezzy's Pinball Prints

4,100 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Rutledge, PA
$ 49.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 10.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

Machine - For Sale
Sabattus, ME
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Daddio's 3D Printed Mods

Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

Cabinet - Decals
arcade-cabinets.com

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Daddio's 3D Printed Mods

$ 130.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Dijohn

$ 17.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Daddio's 3D Printed Mods

$ 9,499.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

$ 69.50
Boards
Pinball Haus

7,400 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Cincinnati, OH
$ 29.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 45.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 119.99
Cabinet - (Alt) Translites
FlyLand Designs

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
RGP Models

$ 20.00
Playfield - Decals
Nordic Pinball Supply

$ 5.00
Cabinet - Other
Creekside Hideaway, LLC

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/best-pinball-machines-for-very-small-children and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.