Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 54 posts
  • 48 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 6 years ago by ASOA
  • Topic is favorited by 2 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

20170905_190622-COLLAGE (resized).jpg
    There are 54 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.
    #1 6 years ago

Curious what others experiences have been with their children and Pinball. I haven't had very good luck but I'm not done trying, I hate playing pinball by myself and don't really like to own machines that only I will play.

So far my kids have got bored with WOZ in less than 2 weeks so I ended up eventually selling it. Same story with Star Trek Pro, Space Invaders, and STTNG. Stargate did a little better with them for some reason but they still quit playing it after a few months. Next I am going to try NBA Fastbreak, they seem to play it on location the times we've found it. We still own our MET Pro and my wife plays it with me so I don't mind that the kids ignore it since I can play with the wife. My wife only likes MET, she didn't like any of the other pins I've bought.

Curious about other pinsiders experiences. I feel that if I can't get the wife/kids to play I might as well give up with the hobby as I don't enjoy playing alone.

#2 6 years ago

NBA Fastbreak as you said. Low dollars comparatively and so less risk. Might be endemic of kids to reject pinball though, unless they can play it well. My 4 year old plays a game and is done as he is not really doing much with the ball. Some people just don't take to it. Theme wise, maybe SW might hit an interest with the LCD and more manual mode selections.

#3 6 years ago

I keep thinking though that it just takes the right game for some. My wife pretty much ended up not playing any of the pins I've bought until........ MET Pro. She plays this one daily, we have a lot of fun with it. With kids it seems to be even more difficult, I just keep telling them that if the pins don't get played I will sell them. I wonder if it will just take the right pin for them. Any more pins anyone can recommend for kids 7/8 year olds and older 11/12/13 year olds?

#4 6 years ago

SM and TSPP also potc.

#5 6 years ago

My son (11) enjoyed Terminator 2. Easy to understand rule set. Firing the canon was always fun and the shots aren't too difficult.
    Who doesn't love Terminator? ?

My 6 yr old daughter loved Party Zone. She thought the talking moving Capt B Zarr head was funny.

#6 6 years ago

Big Guns was always a hit with the younger kids. Cheap game

#7 6 years ago

Only game my kids will play is AFM. I can't get them to stop playing.

#8 6 years ago

My kids like MM, Avatar and LotR.

#9 6 years ago

I have 4 kids ranging from teens to about 7 years old, so in my experience age is a big factor of determination. Teens love FG, as for the younger kids, mostly if you have boys.....

TMNT
    LOTR
    Hulk
    IM
    FT
    JP
    Batman- in any shape or form
    Transformers
    Royal Rumble
    WrestleMania
    No fear
    Dr dude
    Party zone
    Surf N Safari
    Simpsons DE
    SMB
    Rescue 911
    SMBMW
    JY
    Xmen

#10 6 years ago
    #11 6 years ago

THIS!!!! ^^^^^

#12 6 years ago

None, the majority of kids under 12 will play with the box that the pin came in more than the pin itself. Don't buy pins expecting your kids to play them. There are very rare and I mean very rare exceptions. Maybe a day or 2 tops, then it's back to the video games.

#13 6 years ago

WCS or Spiderman. I like Spiderman as it has easy to learn basic objectives, but can grow with a new player. WCS too, but I find it annoying as hell to shoot personally.

#14 6 years ago

I have WCS and had Spiderman amongst others, just can't get the kids into it, I just buy stuff I know I'll like now....

#15 6 years ago

I would say none. They just don't really play them.

I get what I like since I play them well over 95% of the time.

Superpinball is right on the money. recent stern box is converted to puppet stage.

#16 6 years ago

POTC

The ship toy is really cool and easy to hit.

#17 6 years ago

My kids play with the box too, funny. NBA Fastbreak is the last pin I am going to try with them, if a month goes by and they quit playing it then I give up with them. I'll just focus on pins that my wife will play with me. I don't want to focus on pins only I will play because playing alone is boring.

#18 6 years ago
    Quoted from GLSP3022:

My son (11) enjoyed Terminator 2. Easy to understand rule set. Firing the canon was always fun and the shots aren't too difficult.
    Who doesn't love Terminator? ?
    My 6 yr old daughter loved Party Zone. She thought the talking moving Capt B Zarr head was funny.

I've wondered about Terminator 2 many times, it's a widebody right? Kids did not take to STTNG at all. T2 seems to be very affordable too.

#19 6 years ago
    Quoted from pcprogrammer:

I've wondered about Terminator 2 many times, it's a widebody right?

Nope.

#20 6 years ago

Monster Bash has by far been the most popular with the kids and has made pinheads out of them. So much so that they enjoy the rest of the games now too.

We had a T2 for a few years and they got bored quickly. However, it's more cost effective than MB or MM.

#21 6 years ago

World Cup Soccer, Super Mario Bros.........my son doesn't like twilight zone, spiderman, Potc, Paragon, Harlem Globetrotters. He does play my EM Bally Amigo a bit too.

#22 6 years ago

Kids get bored fast of pretty much everything with all the other entertainment out there. I have three kids all 13. My daughter pretty much hates pinball and my boys rarely play if ever. They will get excited if I get a new game but that doesn't last long. They do play a few games if we find one on location or at shows. They definitely prefer video games and so do all their friends. I figure they just don't have the patience or willing to learn the rules. Even if you explain some rules it doesn't do much good because they are just trying to keep the ball in play. I would only buy games you like and try to make friends with other pinheads.

#23 6 years ago

My kids rarely go play alone to. If I ask my boys 10 & 7 to play, they will every time. I think any game will lose luster to kids. It's really probably more exciting to the kid that dad asks to play with them more than the game itself being exciting. That said, my kids favorites are Hobbit and acdc. Tspp gets some play to.

#24 6 years ago

All good points. Had a Star Trek Pro, really want it back but this time in a Premium. No one played it but me, but I loved it. My wife got excited when I told her there might be a Guardians pin.

#25 6 years ago

I agree that most kids don't really take to pinball. Any game can be fun for a little bit to wack the ball around, but if they don't understand the object of the game, they get board quick.

If I had the space, a shuffle puck bowler would be my party game of choice. easy to understand and fun for a group.

#26 6 years ago

I'm guessing if they made a minecraft one my 5 year old would be all over it...for maybe about a week. She plays when we are playing but she doesn't last as long and never asks me to play if we're not already playing.

#27 6 years ago

The girls LOVE GB. I have the center post installed which helps. They've played a lot of titles and this is the one they like best.

#28 6 years ago
    Quoted from SuperPinball:

None, the majority of kids under 12 will play with the box that the pin came in more than the pin itself. Don't buy pins expecting your kids to play them.

This ^^^100%

I try and get my kids into it but they usually only want to play when we have guest over. They don't care if they are playing SM, IM, or Barbwire-it's all pinball to them. Same goes for my wife, I used to try and find games she would enjoy but when the number of games grew-it was just another game to her. Now she can care less (; I guess I got tired of trying to find games for others when they really did not enjoy them like I do. I now buy games I enjoy and I find fun, if they happen to like them as well-then that is just a bonus. Pinball is about sharing it and enjoying it with others but you can also enjoy it playing without others. I try and play at least one game everyday with or without others. I find it more enjoyable knowing that pinball is my hobby and I grew tired of trying to convert people into pinheads. The children may grow into it and someday have some input but for now I buy what I want.

#29 6 years ago

My 4 year old says everything can go but the STLE. There is no second place.

#30 6 years ago

The Jetsons. Call Brooke at The Pinball Company.

#31 6 years ago

Super MARIO mush-world,comet,hurricane,cyclone

#32 6 years ago

May sound odd being a less popular title but i found space jam was a huge hit with kids and people who didn't know much about pinball. It's the only game my girlfriend (who usually never plays) complains I sold. It's not deep at all for someone who plays a lot of pinball but it's simple ruleswise and has got some shots that are just fun to make for the casual player/kids in my opinion. For kids it also does a good job with the visuals/sound when you do make a shot so they understand what they've done and they also used to like the little video modes.

#33 6 years ago

If I asked my kids and wife what game they would be interested in purchasing they would probably say WOZ, because of the theme and the pretty lights. Then the game would arrive and they would all play half a dozen games over the first couple of weeks and then.......crickets would take over and the game would be covered in dust....Just sayin

#34 6 years ago

What about Pinbot? I freaked out over that game when I was a kid.

#35 6 years ago

WCS for sure. C'mon... who doesn't like to score a goaaal!
    Curious though, if you are taking the time to walk them through some of the "goals"of the various machines. Are you teaching them how to achieve multi-ball, extra-ball and gain higher scores and all the other things games have to offer?
    Asking cause you didn't really mention it.
    When it comes to pinball kids often don't understand that A, B and then C must be accomplished in order to achieve D. You know what I mean? Perhaps walking them along might not help but it sure wouldn't hurt eh?
    Hope you can get them turned around.

#36 6 years ago

Playboy

#37 6 years ago

The best pins are the ones they don't play all the time. I'm fortunate enough to have four grandkids, three nephews, plus the neighbors kids and friends kids over to play on a fairly regular basis. I like to think I created a fun place for them to play. Kids make forts under my pins, drag their toys around, eat Cheetos while playing (but no drinking), etc. I created my arcade with the kids in mind and it's always occupied by someone when we have company.

20170905_190622-COLLAGE (resized).jpg20170905_190622-COLLAGE (resized).jpg

#38 6 years ago

#cannon_lagoon on the P3 system

#dialed-in

#39 6 years ago

My kids favorites are WhiteWater and Rob Zombie (on family mode ) They both really miss Whirlwind and Spiderman.

I think the secret is a quick and attainable gimmick that they can regularly see. They both love making Bigfoot turn his head. To them that is a great accomplishment!

#40 6 years ago
    Quoted from pinmanguy:

May sound odd being a less popular title but i found space jam was a huge hit with kids and people who didn't know much about pinball. It's the only game my girlfriend (who usually never plays) complains I sold. It's not deep at all for someone who plays a lot of pinball but it's simple ruleswise and has got some shots that are just fun to make for the casual player/kids in my opinion. For kids it also does a good job with the visuals/sound when you do make a shot so they understand what they've done and they also used to like the little video modes.

I will kind of double down on this and say BTTF. 3 girls under 8 live behind me and come over and play my machines. Dad plays the deeper stuff but kids seem to like the quicker ball times and simpleness of BTTF. So I'd pick any late 80s early 90s game that isn't within the pinside 100. Realistically it means it's easy and fast ball time. I've found that kids like shooting the ball more than anything -outside of playing in the box.

#41 6 years ago

When I was 12 you couldn't pry me off Big Guns.

But the right answer is WCS. As Josh Sharpe would say, "full stop"

#42 6 years ago

I have twins that are 8 and a 10 year old son, and about 10 others kids in the neighborhood....I have or had MMRLE, AFMLE, WOZ RR, ST Pro, Transformers LE, LOTR LE, Hobbit Smaug, and Metallica.....hands down the most popular games are Metallica, and Hobbit Smaug......the graphics on Hobbit, and Sparky always seem to be a big hit with the kids.

#43 6 years ago

Wcs has got to be the best kids game. It's a fun easy goal to just shoot for the net the whole time and kids love it

#44 6 years ago

I'll throw Police Force a vote. easy ramp to rack up points on for beginners. Might get the bug started.

#45 6 years ago

45 posts and no Punchy The Clown.

Well done.

#46 6 years ago

My son loved No Fear, because it said funny things and it was pretty easy to understand; he loves SST for the same reasons.

My daughter really enjoyed Power Play when it was here, she was 6 at the time. Slower and easy to understand. Now she would like one that is pink.

Neither love Rocky and Bullwinkle and I thought that would be a win. I have it pretty steep and I enjoy it a lot.

Kids really like the 90s Gottliebs. SF2, Mario, Shaq Attack. Simple rules and easy play.

#47 6 years ago
    Quoted from chuckwurt:

When I was 12 you couldn't pry me off Big Guns.

Yeah I think we all started to like bigguns around that age.

#48 6 years ago

My 2 girls (5 & 7) have fallen in love with MMr.

#49 6 years ago

My son is 11 and loves IM and POTC.

#50 6 years ago

Yeah, 3 of my kids in that range enjoy playing WCS, AFM, MM and BTDK. We really like playing 2 linked NBA Fastbreaks head to head but no one really plays it solo. It's a pinball machine but it's not that enjoyable.

There are 54 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/best-pinball-machines-for-kids-under-12?hl=ercvacation and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.