Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 80 posts
  • 59 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 7 years ago by TheLaw
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

20170312_143006 (resized).jpg
    There are 80 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.
    #1 7 years ago

I'm considering another machine (I'm kinda new to the hobby) and wanted to know what machine you guys would recommend under $4000 US.

I currently have an MMRLE, and want something that has the same sort of appeal where anyone can really jump on and start enjoying. I'd also like something slightly easier to complete (I find MMR pretty tough).

Also looking for DMD and LED preferably.

Thanks in advance

#2 7 years ago

BSD all day!

#3 7 years ago

I keep hearing that Dracula is awesome. Haven't played it yet though.

How difficult is it to play and complete? If you can compare it to MM, that would be great.

#4 7 years ago

Lawlor's early pins like Earthshaker and Whirlwind are both good choices. If you look at ipdb.org you can search by features and designers. If you look up games you like, then see what other games have that designer or features that might give some helpful data.

#5 7 years ago

Shadow!

#8 7 years ago

You can still buy pins for $4000.00 ?

#9 7 years ago

Ripleys

#11 7 years ago

Roadshow is a fun pin (Pat Lawlor design), a wide body, and is well under $4000. Ripley's has a deep ruleset.

#12 7 years ago

Shadow or BSD, amazing pins with the longest lasting power

#13 7 years ago

Baywatch.

#14 7 years ago

Maybe a used Metallica. I love my LW3 and those are under 2k all day. Lots of great pins really depends on your style.

#15 7 years ago

How about a Barb Wire.

#16 7 years ago

Everything named so far except for Metallica used to be in the "Best Pinball Machine For Under $1500" category. Did things really get that crazy while I wasn't paying attention?

#17 7 years ago
    Quoted from TOK:

Everything named so far except for Metallica used to be in the "Best Pinball Machine For Under $1500" category. Did things really get that crazy while I wasn't paying attention?

Depends. How long have you not been paying attention?
    I hear SF2 is still under $4000

DW WITH PinSound and ColorDMD is my vote

#18 7 years ago

RS
    FT
    Shadow
    BSD
    T3

#19 7 years ago
    Quoted from Rdoyle1978:

Depends. How long have you not been paying attention?
    I hear SF2 is still under $4000
    DW WITH PinSound and ColorDMD is my vote

Too long, I guess! Last game I bought was a Stern Star Trek and it was $4600 brand new. Shadow, Bram Stokers Dracula and Getaway were realistically $1500-1700 games. Because of the way the question was asked, I wasn't sure if they were still way below 4k but they should be!

#20 7 years ago
    Quoted from Damien:

I keep hearing that Dracula is awesome. Haven't played it yet though.
    How difficult is it to play and complete? If you can compare it to MM, that would be great.

BSD is a good game but, man it's hard. Wouldn't recommend it in only a 2 game collection. Whatever game you decide, play a few games first.

#21 7 years ago

A players Whitewater may be doable for around $4k.

Congo is definitely doable in terms of price, fun, and not painfully difficult.

Also, maybe a routed Metallica or Walking Dead, though that may be a stretch price-wise

#22 7 years ago

BSD difficulty strictly relates to the angle of the playfield. At standard 6.5 and above degrees is a hard/very hard game. At 5.5 is still quite hard, but approachable. I now re-set mine at 6.5 because at 5.5 it was too easy.

I personally think, unless the owner has very poor skills as a player, that a machine has to be at least quite hard in order to have some lasting power. While on location an hard game won't probably earn much.

#23 7 years ago

Try to find a routed Spider-Man for 4k very fun to play with easy shots for beginners

#24 7 years ago

Lots of newer sterns in that price range, spiderman, transformers, xmen etc. Of everything listed, I like Shadow the best and you can probably get a nice on for 3000.

#25 7 years ago
    Quoted from Damien:

I'm considering another machine (I'm kinda new to the hobby) and wanted to know what machine you guys would recommend under $4000 US.
    I currently have an MMRLE, and want something that has the same sort of appeal where anyone can really jump on and start enjoying. I'd also like something slightly easier to complete (I find MMR pretty tough).
    Also looking for DMD and LED preferably.
    Thanks in advance

I was thinking POTC and now have an example.
    https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/for-sale-pirates-of-the-caribbean-7

Great theme with wide appeal, family friendly, deep deep code, an easier game with longer ball times, easy to play... hard to finish, great toys, etc. Has your DMD with color dmd support and easily LED capable. Under-rated on Pinside.

#26 7 years ago

Why do you want to spend so much money? You could get a few good pinball machines for $4000.

#27 7 years ago
    Quoted from RyThom:

Why do you want to spend so much money? You could get a few good pinball machines for $4000.

Such as?

#28 7 years ago

Whirlwind, Earthshaker, and some other miscellaneous System 11 games.

Stargate, and just about every other Gottlieb System 3 game.

OR you could buy a whole lineup of decent EMs.

#29 7 years ago

Earthshaker and whirlwind are good choices. As is Demo man and JM. They may not clock in at 4K but it's close. Lastly, no offense to the Gottleib guys but stay away till you play them. They play differently so definitely play before you buy. For me I'd spend 5k and get FT and JM or JD (Btw, I own all 3, permanently).

#30 7 years ago

How about best machine under $2,000? Spoiler: it's WCS94

#31 7 years ago
    Quoted from drshaw:

Except they very very rarely are available under 2k anymore unless it's very rough looking...... 2500 seems to be good number on it these day's.

#32 7 years ago

Rbion, ts,

Quoted from Damien:I keep hearing that Dracula is awesome. Haven't played it yet though.

It's a tough game but really a one trick pony.

#33 7 years ago

You guys from the US don't know how lucky you are. One would be jumping with joy to find any good condition DMD game over here for under $5K AUD. In fact most system 11's are fetching over $4K AUD these days. You lucky buggers.

#34 7 years ago

Indianapolis 500. Of the underrated 90s Williams DMD games, this is the most underrated.

#35 7 years ago

No Good Gofers is fun, wish I owned one. Whirlwind, Shadow, Judge Dredd, Ripley's, Congo. Personally I am not a fan of Whitewater or BSD. Find a show and play a bunch of different machines, you'll find something you like.

#36 7 years ago
    Quoted from drshaw:

Yes, WCS94 has one of the best bang for buck ratios of any machine. Forgot to mentions that one. A nice one can be had for around $2500. I rather pay a little more for something nice than to buy a beater unless you plan on restoring.

#37 7 years ago
    Quoted from PinSinner:

You guys from the US don't know how lucky you are. One would be jumping with joy to find any good condition DMD game over here for under $5K AUD. In fact most system 11's are fetching over $4K AUD these days. You lucky buggers.

From a Bally/Williams perspective, most DMD games that are classified as non A list (anything other than MM,MB,TOTAN,TZ,TAF,CC,IJ,CV,AFM,TOM) should be still priced at under 5k unless they have been restored.

Those 5k Getaways and Flintstones you see listed on local forums and classifieds like gumtree rarely sell for those sort of asking prices and primarily exist to try and take advantage of the recent spate of new entrants to the hobby.

WCS, Getaway, Flintstones, BSD are all good DMD era machines under that pricing benchmark.

#38 7 years ago

For games that are not drainers and fun -WCS, TFTC, HS2, RS, NGG, ES and WW would work. Sterns - POTC if you can squeeze in at $4000, RBION and I like NASCAR if you can get over the theme.

A lot of Lawlor games for you!

1 week later
    #39 7 years ago

If there was a toss up between BSD and The Shadow as the second machine (currently have MMRLE) in your collection, and your goal is to own something family and guest friendly, but something challenging enough that you could keep it for a while, but not crazy difficult. What would you pick?

#40 7 years ago

WAIT... I'm late to the party but get a Tales from the Crypt

#41 7 years ago

Whoops it's not family friendly

#42 7 years ago
    Quoted from Damien:

If there was a toss up between BSD and The Shadow as the second machine (currently have MMRLE) in your collection, and your goal is to own something family and guest friendly, but something challenging enough that you could keep it for a while, but not crazy difficult. What would you pick?

Neither. Wait! It think any game on my list above would work.

#43 7 years ago

go with a demo man, judge dredd, shadow or Baywatch. 4 of the best bang for the buck

#44 7 years ago

Oh, one other caveat... Must be DMD

#47 7 years ago

Fish Tales

#48 7 years ago

pinball magic. Get one now while you still can for under 4k (if you're lucky)

#49 7 years ago
    Quoted from stpcore:

Roadshow is a fun pin (Pat Lawlor design), a wide body, and is well under $4000. Ripley's has a deep ruleset.

if anyone is looking for a roadshow i have one for $3250

#50 7 years ago
    Quoted from Damien:

If you want something family and guest friendly, don't pick Bsd! Not crazy difficult, don't pick Bsd! Never played shadow.

There are 80 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/best-pinball-machine-under-4000/page/1 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.