(Topic ID: 330243)

Best pinball machine for nudging

By Electronmagic

1 year ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

nudge-pinball-machine-10-54-produced_1_1f911d77d1f18883cac374ac20d104f8 (resized).jpg
    #1 1 year ago

What pinball machine has the most opportunities for nudging, or nudges the best? And why?

For me it's Embryon. With the criss-crossed left inlane/outlane and the passage under the plastic, the right outlane with a post and gate you can nudge the ball back into the inlane, and the upper lanes with no lane change, I find myself nudging Embryon successfully way more than most other machines, even with the tilt set tight.

#2 1 year ago

Any machine designed to put the ball back into play with a nudge.
    Indiana Jones: The Pinball Adventure Pirates of the Caribbean
    Are you counting the targets in the outlane on Wizard of Oz ?

#4 1 year ago
    Quoted from zacaj:

No SS will compare to Ice Show

Yeah, I see what you mean. Never played that one and with only 400 produced probably never will, unfortunately. I also know that the old flipperless games were all about nudging too.

#5 1 year ago

Flash Gordon, when the ball is on the upper playfield you MUST nudge

#6 1 year ago
    nudge-pinball-machine-10-54-produced_1_1f911d77d1f18883cac374ac20d104f8 (resized).jpgnudge-pinball-machine-10-54-produced_1_1f911d77d1f18883cac374ac20d104f8 (resized).jpg
    #7 1 year ago

I developed nudging skills on Flying Carpet - it has four exit lanes at the bottom of the playfield instead of return lanes, a wide flipper gap and tall triangular shapes that make it difficult to trap. Good nudging is imperative.

#8 1 year ago

I know you mentioned SS era, but if you are looking for something a bit more modern, Wheel of Fortune is an awesome nudging machine. You can make some crazy saves and manipulating the ball into the correct lane is a huge part of the game. I really wish more modern machines would experiment with the flipper area like they did in the EM era.

#9 1 year ago

Can't say I've had different nudging experiences on different tables. Nudging is nudging. Part of the game.

#11 1 year ago

Jumping Jack is the game that really helped heighten my awareness of how important nudging is, and how much you can affect the ball PRIOR to it entering "The Danger Zone" As far as SS goes all my outlanes are factory middle settings so the drains are all pretty even. I find that Godzilla gives me more practice in nudging in areas other than the outlanes more than any of my other games. The pop bumper/scoop and the return feed from a missed loop or half ramp for example.

#12 1 year ago
    Quoted from Jediturtle:

I know you mentioned SS era, but if you are looking for something a bit more modern, Wheel of Fortune is an awesome nudging machine. You can make some crazy saves and manipulating the ball into the correct lane is a huge part of the game. I really wish more modern machines would experiment with the flipper area like they did in the EM era.

Agree 100%, unfortunately I'd bet there will never be another pinball machine produced with a non standard flipper setup

#13 1 year ago

There's Cirqus Voltaire, with the low in/outlane divider for plenty of room to nudge there. I always liked that. In fact when it came out some people were guessing that would become the new standard.

#14 1 year ago

Centaur has some good nudging/slapping opportunities in the outlanes. If you want to go to the EM era Spanish Eyes is a great one. If you are skilled at nudging you can get some fun middle pop saves.

#15 1 year ago

When the flipper melted on my Sorcerer, I gave a few quick lessons in nudging. Was able to play for 15 minutes with only the left flippers and nudging. Amazed myself with how well it went!

It was freakin’ awesome. I heard of elite pinball players disabling flippers on modern games in order to master nudging. You get really good, really fast when you can’t use flippers!!

Best nudging games are the Bally’s with reverse in-lanes. Hollywood Heat also features a very nudgeable dual outlane

#16 1 year ago

I love to nudge and bang Taxi around.

#17 1 year ago

Centaur
    "Bad move human"

#18 1 year ago
    Quoted from davjoszie:

Agree 100%, unfortunately I'd bet there will never be another pinball machine produced with a non standard flipper setup

Let's hope one of these manufacturers gets bold and does something different.

#19 1 year ago
    Quoted from Viggin900:

Centaur
    "Bad move human"

I was waiting for someone to mention Centaur. I remember that one being a nudge fest, but I haven't played one in at least fifteen years. If I could just find one reasonably priced...

1 week later
    #20 1 year ago
    Quoted from davjoszie:

You are probably correct, unfortunately. One thought I just had is the P3 system. The flippers/slings are a module, which pulls out super easily. It would be awesome if they would release a different flipper module with an old school, EM style layout. Drained would have been a perfect opportunity to pull off something like that!
    gstellenberg , bingopodcast - a crazy idea for you guys to think about for future fun! (which I'm sure you have already pondered...LOL)

#21 1 year ago

I'm thinking bk2k for the top PF.

Forward nudge for Viking and STTNG for outlane saves.

Side-nudges for all classic Sterns on the outlanes.. even to the point of rebounding the ball out.. lol

Rollover areas of EMs for general play and scoring.

Many DE titles if you want to be rewarded for a death save.. lol

#23 1 year ago

Black Night 2000 learned to bounce ball over war targets to get ball back to upper flipper. Then trying to stay alive when shooting on the lower. Great game music is an ear worm too! Sold mine long ago would buy another if one comes up reasonable. Set tilt loose to learn how to shake machine then work at nuance and tighten tilt as you get better. Nudging is huge part of playing.

#24 1 year ago
    Quoted from Jediturtle:

The flippers/slings are a module, which pulls out super easily. It would be awesome if they would release a different flipper module with an old school, EM style layout. Drained would have been a perfect opportunity to pull off something like that!

Drained was designed specifically with the geometry of the default flipper/sling assembly in mind, but stay tuned for future games from FAO Games - there might be alternate geometry or flipper assemblies. I'm always thinking about ways to utilize the flexibility that the P3 offers a designer. I've already done a quick cost analysis for some ideas, so you're correct, already pondered!

#25 1 year ago

Even if the flipper areas are all similar, there's areas up top on some machines that can be made great for nudging too. Pinbot comes to mind with the upper playfield you're always trying to nudge back into the shooter lane to get another skill shot.

#26 1 year ago

Galaxy is great for learning how to get sideways movement under control. The double inlane rubbers often bounce the ball back towards the other side, so you can nudge vertically to get the ball to drop into the opposing inlanes.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/best-pinball-machine-for-nudging and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.