1 year ago

Topic Stats

• 36 posts
  • 28 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 1 year ago by unigroove
  • Topic is favorited by 6 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

There have been 13 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

998f1e9103667f4ee5dbf23d08f424811be001c6 (resized).jpg
    20507597_500382230304312_5057457107312766375_o.jpg
    lure of the silver ball (resized).jpg
    DSCF1738 (resized).JPG
    DSCF1734 (resized).JPG
    DSCF1736 (resized).JPG
    Allaboutpinball (resized).jpg
    005 (resized).JPG
    IMG_20170807_213205.jpg
    image (resized).jpeg
    PinballBook (resized).JPG
    SpecialWhenLit (resized).jpg
    51fW4PVYbxL._SX386_BO1,204,203,200_ (resized).jpg

#1 1 year ago

I've got an Amazon gift card burning a hole in my pocket and curious about pinball book recommendations.

I already have the compendium series and Sharpe's "Pinball".

What else?

#2 1 year ago

The fantastic history of Pinball!

amazon.com link »

51fW4PVYbxL._SX386_BO1,204,203,200_ (resized).jpg

#3 1 year ago

I received a copy of this one over the weekend:
    amazon.com link »

Mr. Bueschel was the dean of pinball historians, and is thanked in the acknowledgments. In places, the exceptionally good section on early pinball history reads like a direct transcription of Mr. Bueschel telling stories over the phone.

Published in 1979, the book was probably written as the first Space Invaders machines started appearing, so pinball is just about at its height in gaming culture. The mix of color and black and white photos is great. I bet pinheads would eat up a nice reprint of this one.

SpecialWhenLit (resized).jpg

#4 1 year ago

The Complete Pinball Book. (Disclaimer: Not Complete past 2002.)

PinballBook (resized).JPG

#5 1 year ago

By far, the Pinball Compendiums. Broken down by era, emphasis on designers.

#6 1 year ago

I have the visual treat coffee table type "Pinball" book by Santiago Ciuffo.

I'd like to have something I can sink my teeth into a bit more if anyone wants to trade books...

#7 1 year ago

I really enjoy this pinball book. I want to get the other volumes by this publisher. All of thier other ones.

image (resized).jpeg

#8 1 year ago

I can never own all of these pins. But I can look at this amazing book. Any day.

#9 1 year ago

Funny, as I just found my letters and work with Dick Bueschel.

Ill second his books for an amazing man!

(Im also in the book )

#10 1 year ago

IMG_20170807_213205.jpg

#11 1 year ago
    Quoted from PinballBJB:

The Complete Pinball Book. (Disclaimer: Not Complete past 2002.)

Just curious how is this different than the compeniums, as I have all three of those.

#12 1 year ago

Different author. I've not read either, so can't speak more than that.

#13 1 year ago
    Quoted from RyanClaytor:

Just curious how is this different than the compeniums, as I have all three of those.

The Complete Pinball Book is more of a broad historical overview, largely organized by features (chapters on pop bumpers, ball savers, upper playfields, etc.). It also has an emphasis on pinball Art through the years. Some good photos, but probably intended as an introduction for those just entering the hobby.

#14 1 year ago

As a science nerd, this one has my interest piqued. I wouldn't expect to learn any skills or anything, but is it a good read?

#15 1 year ago

I really enjoy all the Michael Shalhoub books and anything by Dick Beuschel. I have a bunch of others. They are all fun to collect but the Compendium and Beuschel books are the ones I reference frequently.

#16 1 year ago

1. Pinball Portfolio, the first pinball book I ever read and which inspired me to go to my local library and hunt for pinball books on micro-film. (Total fail)

Focus is on EMs. The intro story is fantastic, where the author explains how he suddenly caught the pinball bug. Has great double A4 colour photos of pins.

2. Pinball by R.Sharpe, as it was written at the time many of the games shown were still being operated. Lots of great photos of locations. Yes, some of those arcades were pretty seedy places. LOL

3. The various Compendiums published by Schiffer.

005 (resized).JPG

#17 1 year ago

I have the compendiums and the Roger Sharpe book as well. All good books. Pinball by Mr. Sharpe was a book I had since 1978. I was 12 and threw a fit to get it. Loaned it to a fellow player at the bowling alley. When asked for it back, he replied"My dog ate it". Yeah, right..................I have since acquired another.

#18 1 year ago

Actually a book is what got me into the hobby. I bought the book "All About Pinball" at a rummage sale 13 or 14 years ago. That sparked my interest and the rest is history.

Allaboutpinball (resized).jpg

#19 1 year ago

The compendiums aren't very good. The writing is dull. Game discussions don't go beyond rulesets which isn't very interesting. The pictures are good so buy them if you want big picture books.

For me pinball books pretty much begin and end with Roger Sharpe's Pinball! It's fantastic.

#20 1 year ago
    Quoted from AlexF:

Actually a book is what got me into the hobby. I bought the book "All About Pinball" at a rummage sale 13 or 14 years ago. That sparked my interest and the rest is history.

I just bought this one and it should be here in a couple of days!

#21 1 year ago

This beauty i bought from second hand book shop about 5 years back .
    Pinball Art by Keith Temple
    Foreword by the late great Gottlieb artist Gordon Morrison
    Published 1991 by H C Blossom Book . Tons of information on all the artists.
    Not sure if its still available.
    Loads of pics over 120 with lots of early sketches of Backglasses. I did include 2 pics. tisk tisk
    If you can find a copy you will enjoy it ...
    DSCF1736 (resized).JPGDSCF1734 (resized).JPGDSCF1738 (resized).JPG

#22 1 year ago
    Quoted from Ralph67:

Foreword by the late great Gottlieb artist Gordon Morrison

All I needed to hear...book ordered. Thanks for sharing that one, ralph67

#23 1 year ago
    Quoted from aobrien5:

As a science nerd, this one has my interest piqued. I wouldn't expect to learn any skills or anything, but is it a good read?

It is intermediate depth on understanding the science of pinball mechanics from the standpoint of pinball playing and physics. There is a reason this book is expensive now, and it is a superb book regarding education. Owners will learn something new, even if pinball playing "zen" experts.

Shown below is another outstanding book that goes beyond photos if a person wants to get better understanding of another area of pinball, namely, gaming history and manufacturing. Other areas of gaming history are intertwined, including things like slot machines. Answering the question of "how things came to be". Lessons from the past that can be applied to the present and often overlooked, including the present manufacturers themselves.

For enthusiasts consider looking beyond the simplicities of game titles, but other aspects of pinball and gaming history.

20507597_500382230304312_5057457107312766375_o.jpg

#24 1 year ago

Another great one. This one got me into pinball collecting over 20 years ago. No new games but great pics of older games.

lure of the silver ball (resized).jpg

Lure of the Silver Ball, All About Pinball and Sharpe's Pinball were my tri-fecta when I got into the hobby.

#26 1 year ago

The Christian Marfels book is very light on amusement pinball relative to Bally's gambling products. When I needed some facts for my research on Bally Records, it only provided a couple tidbits. Also note that it was written with full cooperation from Bally, so it has the same pluses and minuses as an "authorized" biography of a person would have.

At one time, Ed Trapunski's Special When Lit was considered a good history, but our standards are higher now and other books have displaced it.

And speaking of displacing, Bueschel's Pinball 1 from Coin Slot books has been displaced by the similar volumes he wrote later for Silverball Publishing (or whatever Steve Young called that company). That is, he wrote 2 volumes of a projected six-volume set.
    .................David Marston

#27 1 year ago
    Quoted from dmarston:

At one time, Ed Trapunski's Special When Lit was considered a good history, but our standards are higher now and other books have displaced it.

I perused Trapunski's book many years ago and saw a few factual errors in it but, as you might agree, that was the case of many pinball books from back then. We know much more today. The Compendium books have interviews with industry people that just cannot be beat. When I received The Complete Pinball Book in the mail, I read the whole thing from cover to cover over two nights as I just could not put the dang thing down. If you really want to be impressed, read Bueschel's Encyclopedia of Pinball Volumes 1 and 2. I mean, there is stuff there that had answered a lot of pinball history questions. Right there in front of us. In his books. All along.

#28 1 year ago
    Quoted from I_P_D_B:

I perused Trapunski's book many years ago and saw a few factual errors in it but, as you might agree, that was the case of many pinball books from back then. We know much more today. The Compendium books have interviews with industry people that just cannot be beat. When I received The Complete Pinball Book in the mail, I read the whole thing from cover to cover over two nights as I just could not put the dang thing down. If you really want to be impressed, read Bueschel's Encyclopedia of Pinball Volumes 1 and 2. I mean, there is stuff there that had answered a lot of pinball history questions. Right there in front of us. In his books. All along.

As many of you know, Dick Bueschel's Encyclopedia Of Pinball was a planned 10 volume set. Unfortunately, Dick died before they could be finished. I believe the next 2-3 volumes were all laid out, but I am told it is doubtful they will ever see print. A real shame.

#29 1 year ago

I've got tens and tens of Pinball books
    Marco Rossignoli's book remain one of my favourite
    It's well written and pictures are great.

998f1e9103667f4ee5dbf23d08f424811be001c6 (resized).jpg

#30 1 year ago
    Quoted from xeneize:

All I needed to hear...book ordered. Thanks for sharing that one, ralph67

Great to hear its still available

#31 1 year ago
    Quoted from LorenZ:

I've got tens and tens of Pinball books
    Marco Rossignoli's book remain one of my favourite
    It's well written and pictures are great.

With pics of the xenon, centaur and space invaders I had back then. Brief claim to fame.

#32 1 year ago
    Quoted from DennisDodel:

As many of you know, Dick Bueschel's Encyclopedia Of Pinball was a planned 10 volume set.

To be more exact, the Pinball series that began with Pinball 1 was announced as a 10-volume set from Coin Slot Books. I think that was still the plan as late as 1987. When he switched the publishing, the Encyclopedia was also initially described as a projected 10-volume set, but Bueschel later said it would be scaled down to 6 volumes. I'm sure that he had outlines for all the volumes; that's the way he worked.

#33 1 year ago
    Quoted from RyanClaytor:

I've got an Amazon gift card burning a hole in my pocket and curious about pinball book recommendations.
    I already have the compendium series and Sharpe's "Pinball".
    What else?

Quoted from pinmaniac:

Another great one. This one got me into pinball collecting over 20 years ago. No new games but great pics of older games.

Lure of the Silver Ball, All About Pinball and Sharpe's Pinball were my tri-fecta when I got into the hobby.

Also recommending "Pinball: The Lure of the Silver Ball"
    amazon.com link »

#34 1 year ago
    Quoted from dmarston:

To be more exact, the Pinball series that began with Pinball 1 was announced as a 10-volume set from Coin Slot Books. I think that was still the plan as late as 1987. When he switched the publishing, the Encyclopedia was also initially described as a projected 10-volume set, but Bueschel later said it would be scaled down to 6 volumes. I'm sure that he had outlines for all the volumes; that's the way he worked.

Is Gordon still working on this set or has it just been shelved forever?

John

#35 1 year ago

Maybe I should start offering Pinball Magazine (which is more like a book) on Amazon

My first book on pinball was Rossignoli's Complete Pinball Book, which I bought 16 years ago. Since then I bought every book mentioned here so far and more. When it comes to recent books, and since you're an illustrator, how about Dirty Donnie's Pinball Wizards & Blacklight Destroyers?

#36 1 year ago
    Quoted from Dayhuff:

Is Gordon still working on this set or has it just been shelved forever?
    John

I don't know about that. I do know he is working on a book on 1954 Gottlieb games.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
    $ 29.99
    Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 64.99
    $ 87.00
    $ 149.00
    $ 218.00
    $ 73.00
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    LightAndTimeArt
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Medisinyl Mods
    $ 69.99
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    RGP Models
    $ 48.00
    Cabinet - Other
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    Lighting - Interactive
    Hookedonpinball.com
    $ 5,799.00
    Pinball Machine
    Classic Game Rooms
    $ 29.99
    Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 114.00
    Lighting - Backbox
    The MOD Couple
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 999.00
    Pinball Machine
    Mircoplayfields
    $ 35.00
    Cabinet - Decals
    Bright Lights Pinball
    $ 14.95
    $ 1,000.00
    $ 399.99
    Cabinet - Toppers
    Great American Pinball
    $ 92.95
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    Super Skill Shot Shop
    $ 20.00
    Playfield - Decals
    DevilsMuse Arcade
    $ 25.00
    Playfield - Decals
    Flashinstinct

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside