6 years ago

Topic Stats

• 38 posts
  • 23 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 1 year ago by adania
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

There have been 6 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

neverland (resized).jpg
    maxresdefault_(1)_(resized).jpg
    Pinball_imotoarcade_tokyo_japan_star_wars_getaway_hook_(resized).JPG
    Pinball_imotoarcade_tokyo_japan_decks_(resized).JPG
    Pinball_imotoarcade_tokyo_japan_fireball_grand_prix_night_rider_bally_(resized).JPG
    Pinball_imotoarcade_tokyo_japan_mario_mushroom_world_(resized).JPG

#1 6 years ago

I've got a short business trip to Tokyo coming up in April. I've heard they have some fantastic arcades and am looking for recommendations. Somebody here must know there way around Tokyo pinball?

I'll post my findings and photos when I return.

Thanks

#2 6 years ago

Hey and Club sega in akihabara.

#3 6 years ago

My cousin tells me that there really isn't much for pinball in Japan. Pachinko anyone?

#4 6 years ago
    Quoted from alb0711:

I've got a short business trip to Tokyo coming up in April. I've heard they have some fantastic arcades and am looking for recommendations. Somebody here must know there way around Tokyo pinball?

I'll post my findings and photos when I return.

Thanks

that's crazy to me. you're going on a short trip to tokyo and you're looking to spend your free time playing pinball? there is so much more to do and see. you can play pinball in the states anytime.

#5 6 years ago
    Quoted from SilverBallz:

that's crazy to me. you're going on a short trip to tokyo and you're looking to spend your free time playing pinball? there is so much more to do and see. you can play pinball in the states anytime.

Well maybe you can try Pachinko or the big coin pusher games you can't really find that in the USA.

#6 6 years ago
    Quoted from SilverBallz:

Don't plan on spending a ton of time playing, just want to see and feel a Japanese arcade. I've heard there are multi-story monsters unlike anything here in the states.

#7 6 years ago

Lots of arcades in Akihabra. In my many travels there (10~) I never saw a single pinball machine.

#8 6 years ago
    Quoted from AkumaZeto:

HEY AND CLUB SEGA

#9 6 years ago
    Quoted from AkumaZeto:

HEY AND CLUB SEGA

Got it - and will go! Thx!

#10 6 years ago

Lots of pachinko, no pinball. This place is a few hours away from Tokyo on the train.
    http://www.one-more-time.jp/pinball/

#11 6 years ago

I haven't been to Tokyo in several years so don't know which arcades would still have pinball. If you can read Japanese addresses, this site lists a few locations you could try: http://tea-works.com/pl/kanto/tokyo/
    (Note: the Omoron arcade in Shin-koiwa listed on that site no longer has a pinball corner according to other postings I came across)

I believe there's also a retro arcade in Odaiba in Tokyo that has pins, as mentioned in a location report on Pinball News here: http://www.pinballnews.com/sites/odaiba/index.html

You can also see a video of it here (in Japanese):

#12 6 years ago

I watch a lot of Gamecenter CX, and Arino visits an arcade during some of the midshow segments. Be sure to look around when finding an arcade. Most places charge 100 yen (about a dollar and ten cents) for one game, even classic stuff. There are some arcades that only charge 10 to 50 yen a game though. It shouldn't be hard to find one. I know some people who have been, and they will leave one arcade, only to find another one right around the corner.

#13 6 years ago
    Quoted from Joe_Blasi:

Well maybe you can try Pachinko or the big coin pusher games you can't really find that in the USA.

?? wall mounted pachinko in my gameroom and it is in the US =) (coin pushers are everywhere)

Will look forward to these results in case my company ever sends me to Japan for training.

#14 6 years ago

I don't think they have the BIG coin pushers ones over hear in the USA like the ones in Japan (they look so cool in the videos of them).

#15 6 years ago

Is it true you can cash in Pachinko wins? Do you receive money or carnival stuff like skee-ball?

#16 6 years ago

You trade the balls in for items (no cash), Redemption games for adults.

#17 6 years ago
    Quoted from Donnyman:

You trade the balls in for items (no cash), Redemption games for adults.

1. Play pachinko, win balls.
    2. Cash Balls in for stupid gum thing.
    3. Take stupid gum thing to hole in the wall outside Pachinko Parlour.
    4. ????
    5. Profit!!

-Wes

#19 6 years ago
    Quoted from copperpot:

1. Play pachinko, win balls.
    2. Cash Balls in for stupid gum thing.
    3. Take stupid gum thing to hole in the wall outside Pachinko Parlour.
    4. ????
    5. Profit!!
    -Wes

# 4 sounds a little scary! ;->

#20 6 years ago

That museum looks like a lot of fun. Thanks!

#21 6 years ago
    Quoted from AkumaZeto:

AkumaZeto said:

HEY AND CLUB SEGA

If only someone, anyone, could speak to a location in Japan where someone could play some pinball! Maybe even near Akihabara? Guess we're out of luck...

#22 6 years ago

If I find any, I'll post. Will spend some time exploring the Akihabra area. Gotta find that hole in the wall!

#23 6 years ago

Find a pretty Asian girl over there and play with her instead.

#24 6 years ago
    Quoted from Propaganda:

Find a pretty Asian girl over there and play with her instead.

Ka-ching!

#25 6 years ago
    Quoted from KrustyBurger:

If only someone, anyone, could speak to a location in Japan where someone could play some pinball! Maybe even near Akihabara? Guess we're out of luck...

Last time I was at HEY and Sega all i did was play shumps for 2 days. CAVE heaven in there.

#26 6 years ago

What is shumps?

#27 6 years ago
    Quoted from SilverBallz:

I love finding arcades and pinball locations in different countries. Pinball is my favorite hobby and think it's a cool thing to have experienced playing in different places. I do the same with golf.

Quoted from alb0711:

What is shumps?

shmups

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/CAVE_(company)

#28 6 years ago

cool - shoot-em-ups. Not sure I've ever seen a Cave game.

#29 6 years ago
    Quoted from alb0711:

cool - shoot-em-ups. Not sure I've ever seen a Cave game.

Funny you should mention that being in Denver -- Jamshid is going to put a couple of imported Cave shmups in the 1up soon. Pretty rare to see on location!

#30 6 years ago

I would love it if someone would make a Densha de Go!-themed pinball machine.

#31 6 years ago
    Quoted from bobbyconover:

Funny you should mention that being in Denver -- Jamshid is going to put a couple of imported Cave shmups in the 1up soon. Pretty rare to see on location!

I've been meaning to head over to 1up - perhaps by the time I get there I'll be a shumps pro!

3 years later
    #32 2 years ago

reposting here for google searches, since I originally posted this under an Osaka thread since that was a more recent discussion.

... I have found and confirmed 10 public pins IN Tokyo, Japan! You get on a train to Odaiba (accessible from Shinagawa Station, and only a ~$3, 15min ride) and head to DECKS. On the 4th floor is a retro fitted arcade and shopping area. (there are over 100 shops in this building, so if you're traveling with friends and family that aren't gamers, they have plenty to be distracted by too!)

Overall the pins are in good shape, and after a few days of not playing pinball, finally finding this place in Tokyo was such a relief.

Here's the website to the mall they're in: http://odaiba-decks.com/services/en.php (Even though you can scower that whole site and not even realize that pinball exists here)
    Bring more pinball to Tokyo!!

Sorry Pinsider admins that I totally screwed that one up. *runs away*

Pinball_imotoarcade_tokyo_japan_mario_mushroom_world_(resized).JPG

Pinball_imotoarcade_tokyo_japan_fireball_grand_prix_night_rider_bally_(resized).JPG

Pinball_imotoarcade_tokyo_japan_decks_(resized).JPG

Pinball_imotoarcade_tokyo_japan_star_wars_getaway_hook_(resized).JPG

#33 2 years ago

As far as I'm aware all the Tokyo locations with more than one machine are in the pinside map. DECKS odaiba has the largest location, but their maintenance sucks and they almost never rotate their DMD games. For some reason they rotate their EMs quite often.

The two other decent locations are in Takadanobaba (MB/MM/AFM) and at Neverland, outside town in Toyoda.

2 weeks later
    #34 2 years ago

Thinking of moving to Tokyo at the moment. Yeah I wouldn't expect pinball to be a thing with all the video arcades. With the limited space owning pinball probably isn't the wisest unless you don't mind living out in the sticks, which isn't an option to me.

#35 2 years ago

When I was there there was a SF2 where the getaway was

-EDIT
    don't go the optical illusion place there.Its so bad......................

#36 2 years ago

that hologram J-Pop star is touring outside of Japan now.... crazy

http://arstechnica.com/the-multiverse/2016/04/waving-glow-sticks-at-hologram-anime-pop-stars-our-night-with-hatsune-miku/

maxresdefault_(1)_(resized).jpg

1 year later
    #37 1 year ago

Harijuku has two nicely maintained games at its Marvel Comics store - Batman the Dark Knight and Spiderman VE. Both are 100 yen. They had an IM VE but got rid of it unfortunately.

#38 1 year ago

Sorry for the super long post, but i have a lot to say about this...

When I was stuck in Tokyo for a few months 2016-2017, I was able to participate in a couple events, and played pinball at a few isolated venues among the putrid swamps of pachinko parlors.
    Neverland, unfortunately, is no more. Game Over was just about one year ago now. I attended their very last monthly tournament, expecting it to be my first of many during my Tokyo stint, and was quite sad about it. It was very well attended though, and the owner of most of the machines did say that he was going to find another place to open up "someday."
    There are a few places that do have pins in Tokyo, but it's probably better use of your time to just hop on a bullet train for a couple hours (and about $150 each way) and head to Osaka for the hundreds of pins at The Silver Ball Planet. They are in WAYYY better shape than any i was able to find in Tokyo.
    That being said, I have just found an updated google maps for Pinball in Japan (again, in Jp only, but probably still useful for Eng speakers): https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/viewer?mid=1hXeW1DaHkH2igsXui4w0p2SAFj0&hl=en_US&ll=35.14523526120523%2C134.70656369999995&z=5
    It appears to have been updated a few months ago, so should be a good tool for anyone looking for places to play. Usefully, it has a section for "closed" so you can see if one you were looking for is no more, and they are organized by "latest update less than 5 years ago" and "latest update older than 5 years ago."

While i was living in Ueno, the Mikado retro arcade in Takadanobaba (http://mi-ka-do.net/ - Jp only, sorry!) was not far, and i went there often, even was interviewed in Japanese by Fuji TV about it one afternoon (filmed me playing #monster-bash). They kept wanting me to tell them that foreigners in Japan liked to gather at retro arcades, and i was all "no, i'm usually the only foreigner in here..." and i think they were disappointed when i wanted to focus on the revival of PINBALL and where else to play and not "how to meet exotic foreigners in Tokyo." Current games list there is : Indianapolis 500, Medieval Madness, Monster Bash, Get Away (actually it was High Speed when i was there...perhaps language error) They were not in the best shape when i was there, the usual GIANT GAPING HOLE around the scoop in MB, having to bruise my hand trying to punch the ball out of the trough in The Getaway: High Speed II where it kept getting stuck, Medieval Madness castle issues... but still better than staying pinball-celibate for months. They had a Data East Star Wars when i was there, that i never once saw turned on, so perhaps they gave up on that and brought in the Indianapolis 500
    I attended a small meet at Zools in Nishi-ogikubo (maybe 30min west on the train from Tokyo central loop). It is one of those ubiquitous pocket-sized Japanese bars with a theme of Americana and darts and jukeboxen and games. The owner is a pinball lover, and always has one or two in the bar, i think another collector brought one in so we had three for the meet that time. It was very fun, BUT with one big problem: Japan still allows (nigh encourages!) smoking in bars and restaurants, so i was in a thick cloud the whole time, and developed a killer secondhand smoke headache by round two.

If anyone is interested in those Japanese links or playing pinball in Japan and wants Language help beyond what google translate can do, feel free to message me!

neverland (resized).jpg

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
    Cabinet - Other
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 209.99
    $ 149.00
    $ 99.00
    Hardware
    Pappy's Pinball Palace
    $ 199.99
    Lighting - Led
    PinballBulbs
    $ 48.00
    Cabinet - Other
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 49.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    The MOD Couple
    $ 24.50
    $ 99.99
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 129.00
    Displays
    Pappy's Pinball Palace
    Apparel - Unisex
    Pinball Wheezer
    $ 29.99
    Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 99.99
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Lermods
    $ 20.00
    Playfield - Decals
    DevilsMuse Arcade
    $ 39.95
    Playfield - Protection
    Little Shop Of Games
    $ 36.99
    Lighting - Interactive
    Lee's Parts
    $ 84.95
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    Super Skill Shot Shop
    $ 35.00
    Cabinet - Decals
    Bright Lights Pinball
    Pinball Machine
    Pinball Pro
    $ 19.95
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    ULEKstore
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    ModFather Pinball Mods

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside