Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 57 posts
  • 42 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 8 months ago by Dr-pin
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic poll

“Best Lawlor”

• Banzai Run (1988) 3 votes
      4%
    • Earthshaker! (1989) 1 vote
      1%
    • Whirlwind (1990) 5 votes
      6%
    • FunHouse (1990) 2 votes
      3%
    • The Addams Family (1992) 13 votes
      17%
    • Twilight Zone (1993) 23 votes
      30%
    • Red & Ted's Road Show (1994) 3 votes
      4%
    • Safecracker (1996) 1 vote
      1%
    • No Good Gofers (1997) 3 votes
      4%
    • Monopoly (2001) 1 vote
      1%
    • RollerCoaster Tycoon (2002) 1 vote
      1%
    • Ripley's Believe it or Not! (2004 2 votes
      3%
    • NASCAR (known as Grand Prix in Europe) (2005) 1 vote
      1%
    • Family Guy (2007) 2 votes
      3%
    • CSI: Crime Scene Investigation (2008) 1 vote
      1%
    • Shrek (2008) 1 vote
      1%
    • Dialed In! (2017) 5 votes
      6%
    • Willy Wonka & the Chocolate Factory (2019) 6 votes
      8%
    • Toy Story 4 (2022) 3 votes
      4%
    • Not Another Lawlor poll - We just did this . . . 0 votes

(Multiple choice - 77 votes by 52 Pinsiders)

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

earthshaker.jpg
    party zone (resized).jpg
    There are 57 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.
    #1 8 months ago

So - in one way or another this has been asked in the past but since it has been a few years I thought it would be a good time to revisit a true master and legend. Plus, posts on price bubbles and pinball legs that light up seem to be losing steam so - What is your favorite Pat Lawlor game?

Banzai Run (1988)
    Earthshaker! (1989)
    Whirlwind (1990)
    FunHouse (1990)
    Red & Ted's Road Show (1994)
    No Good Gofers (1997)
    The Addams Family (1992)
    Twilight Zone (1993)
    Safecracker (1996)
    Monopoly (2001)
    RollerCoaster Tycoon (2002)
    Ripley's Believe it or Not! (2004)
    NASCAR (known as Grand Prix in Europe) (2005)
    Family Guy (2007)
    CSI: Crime Scene Investigation (2008)
    Shrek (2008)
    Dialed In! (2017)
    Willy Wonka & the Chocolate Factory (2019)
    Toy Story 4 (2022)

You can answer based on personal preference or based on importance of progressing the pinball business/hobby. But if you comment explain your choice. I look at pinball as divided into pre- Addams Family and post-Addams Family as far as game progression - for me Addams Family begins the golden age of 1990s pinball. But what about Funhouse? Road Show? A number of games prior tp AF are considered landmark. And many will say Wonka is Pat's crowning achievement . . . but what do you think?

#2 8 months ago

Will always be TZ

#3 8 months ago

I have 5 Lawlors and have played most. I have to go with the boring answer and say TAF. TZ is also great but not as accessible or universally remembered. Non pinheads don’t know any of my games except most know TAF. If pleasing friends and family matters at all something to consider.

Wonka get honorable mention. It’s a terrific game. The greatness is in the modes, their creativity, how they play. The playfield is good and flows well and so forth, but it’s really the unique and varied modes. And the pretty light show, vibrant colors and whimsical vibe.

#5 8 months ago

Dude that a pointless list that has all of his games but Toy Story 4....so obviously we need to factor that universally love machine in there!

#6 8 months ago

I’m a Lawlor fan. TAF is the most memorable, but Whirlwind is on my wishlist because TAF is out of my budget and I like System 11 games. Ripley’s is a sneaky favorite of mine. Road Show and No Good Goofers are also enjoyable. TZ gets a lot of praise, but not a fan of the theme. I need to like the theme for me to pump the machine with quarters/credits.

#7 8 months ago

TAF for me as well. I have a Wonka and it is absolutely an amazing game and it is superior is most ways, yet the whole TAF package comes together and delivers the fun like no other.

#8 8 months ago

They'd all be welcomed in my lineup, but my fav will always be Whirlwind.

#9 8 months ago

I have four of Pat’s games (and they are my four favorite of his machines…hence why they are the ones I have) and out of my collection I rank them as follows: TZ, TAF, SC, and then Shrek.

#10 8 months ago

I have eight of his games . Favorites-
    Twilight Zone
    Whirlwind
    Banzai Run

#11 8 months ago

Banzai Run is his best game.

#13 8 months ago

He's my least favorite designer. If I had to pick one I've enjoyed Whirlwind the most. I've never understood the appeal of TZ and Adams Family. They just feel clunky to me.

#14 8 months ago

Sold my TZ after owning it for about 9 years because it was the least approachable game in the game room to visitors. I enjoyed the game enough and I loved the intricacies of it, but I felt it was time to get something fresh with a bit broader appeal in the space. Thankfully one of my best friends was on the lookout for a TZ so it went to a great home for a great deal.

I still have my TAF and Whirlwind though. TAF isn't going anywhere. I love the theme, the gameplay and people tend to gravitate toward it. Sure, it might be a bit linear, but I don't want every game to be a marathon.

#15 8 months ago

I’m really enjoying Roadshow, lots of great mini modes and new code which allows cities to be random really changes the linear nature. 2 talking heads is so unique and fantastic animations
    Wonka and No Good Gofers would rank next, gofers would he higher if the code could be updated, that hole in 1 shot is genius

#16 8 months ago

I own and love playing my Road Show, but without the updated roms, that randomize the cities, it was a bit of a grind getting to wizard mode.

But all time great? That’s Addams

TAF didn’t sell as many units as it did just because of the theme, though that got a ton of people to walk up to it for the first time. The game just had great replayability for the casual player. I can’t tell you how many people I roped into regularly playing pinball thanks to that game. The rule set is easy to pickup, and the ramp shots especially are just fun to hit.

#17 8 months ago

TAF.
    Total layup.

Honestly surprised a full software enhance/2.0kit has not been made - making the dangerous shots more necessary and rewarding.
    Full 2nd and 3rd level of the house missions would be terrific too.

#18 8 months ago
    Quoted from ejg10532626:

Honestly surprised a full software enhance/2.0kit has not been made - making the dangerous shots more necessary and rewarding.
    Full 2nd and 3rd level of the house missions would be terrific too.

This would be such a huge hit.

#19 8 months ago

Uff those 2.0 kids are so bad.

#20 8 months ago

This should have been a poll.

I have all of his WMS games. But it's hard to pick 1. My top 3 are Banzai, Addams and Twilight.

#21 8 months ago

No shame in saying: Addams.

Fantastic game

#22 8 months ago

I have roadshow and have had Ripleys in the past. I really enjoy both of those

#23 8 months ago

TZ for me.

#24 8 months ago

All the ones through TZ are good.

All of the ones after are bad or lackluster (mostly due to bad software)

Except for Dialed in which is great despite a terrible theme and bad sound and music.

#25 8 months ago

Dialed In is a great game. Right up there with his best.

#26 8 months ago

Dialed in and TZ, can’t decide which.

#27 8 months ago
    Quoted from TheLaw:

Will always be TZ

Drop the mic. Close the thread.

#28 8 months ago

Whirlwind.

#29 8 months ago

Monopoly

#30 8 months ago

TZ for me...most mechs, software, and tributes to Pat's past games.
    TAF is a close second and the probably the most historically relevant pin of all time and of course the best selling. I own them both and love most of Pat's games.

#31 8 months ago

It’s interesting Lawlor’s early games get more love than his post-WMS ones do. You would think with technological advances that the games would be better and people would be more receptive to them. Apparently not the case here.

#32 8 months ago

Personally TZ but TAF is the juggernaut. You could remake TAF and it would still sell extremely well. Lot's of other great games that fly under the radar. I just picked up a Road Show on trade. Kind of goofy but great game. RBION is ugly but great fun, too.

#33 8 months ago
    Quoted from Ryguy80:

It’s interesting Lawlor’s early games get more love than his post-WMS ones do. You would think with technological advances that the games would be better and people would be more receptive to them. Apparently not the case here.

It’s pinball. There hasn’t been a significant “technological advancement” since about 1980.

Pats post Williams games were constrained by budget and the realities of the marketplace. He was apologizing for Monopoly before it even came out , saying people who are expecting another TZ are in for a huge letdown.

And boy was he right!

Besides the cost cutting, his later games suffered from bad rules / software. It’s a shame too because games like RCT have fantastic layouts.

#34 8 months ago
    Quoted from Zero_Hour:

I own and love playing my Road Show, but without the updated roms, that randomize the cities, it was a bit of a grind getting to wizard mode.

For me, the game is unplayable without the roms and the original music.

Change them both -- which I did -- and it becomes one of the greatest games of all time, honestly.

In this list
    -- Dialed In! has the best layout, Road Show & TAF are up there too
    -- TZ has the best toys & mechs
    -- TAF probably has the best everything else, rules and scoring-wise

TAF has got to be the best of everything imo.

#35 8 months ago

Amazingly I have hardly played any Pat Lawlor games. Granted I'm still pretty new around here, but I just have not spent time playing any of his machines. Whirlwind is the one I've played the most and that is really only a handful of attempts. I pretty much only play out in the wild at one or two locations and when I am at those awesome arcades, I'm drawn to other machines (both new and old). I probably should make an effort to own a Lawlor machine some point soon, but it would have to be an affordable one.

#36 8 months ago

Twilight Zone is my #1, followed by Funhouse, The Addams Family and Whirlwind

#37 8 months ago

Add a poll if you can.

#38 8 months ago

TZ is the best imo.

Did own TAF a few years and while it's friendly for beginners me and my pin friends all got tired of it and played it least of my then seven games.

Dialed in is my nr2 choice, really underrated game.

#39 8 months ago

Walk up to TZ and love everything about it - art package, playfield looks amazing - then I play - I try and try to love it like everyone else - but it just misses for me - it's good just not my fave (feel the same about ST:NG and IJ - hmmm is there a common denominator?) Funhouse and Road Show are good but art package leaves me cold. Would love time on Dialed In - every owner swears it's amazing . . . Lot's of players agree TAF can become repetitive - but is there a more influential pin from that time frame? No love for No Good Gopher from anyone?

#40 8 months ago
    Quoted from Threetreys:

No love for No Good Gopher from anyone?

I got a NGG a couple years ago and did a full mechanical restore. It now plays like a nib. I like the game a helluva lot. It’s got a lot of charm and has a real “all hell is breaking loose” vibe. Very funhouse-like with the taunting gofers you can shut their mouth with a swift ball to the face. The slam ramp is a great and unique toy that leads to a lot of unpredictable play. It’s my go to game for something quick, simple, fun. There are complaints about the scoring/code but I play it casually so I don’t care.

I do think it’s an underrated Lawlor. But also I wouldn’t say it’s “best” when it’s up against some masterpieces, which is why it’s not getting mentioned here.

#41 8 months ago
    Quoted from CrazyLevi:

All of the ones after are bad or lackluster (mostly due to bad software)

RBION is solid. For me it's probably #3.

Quoted from Threetreys:

No love for No Good Gopher from anyone?

Gofers exposes the bad software to a tea.
    It's a golf game that doesn't care anything aboot golf scores. It becomes just a random firing of wack-a-doodle shit all over.
    Gofers also highlights the dangers of just anyone making a 2.0 version. Jesus christ...my fuckign nightmares.

#42 8 months ago

NeilMcRae chance to vote for Banzai Run

#43 8 months ago
    Quoted from blueberryjohnson:

He's kinda right...I mean I knew when I picked it for NYCPC that it's a terrible streaming game.

But I couldn't resist the novelty factor of it.

Next year it'll be in free play!!!

#44 8 months ago

Honest question... Perhaps the best person to ask this question to would be a collector that is not really a huge fan of his games? Out of over 100 games that I've owned, I only had and still do have exactly one made by him. Funhouse. I do not really plan on buying any more of his games. In my opinion, the most historically significant game that he ever made was TAF but, it is not my favorite. Perhaps his best is the one that sold the most and earned the most money? Well then TAF would be it even if you as well as I do not think so.

#45 8 months ago
    Quoted from blueberryjohnson:

let me get back to you on that!

Dialled in is his best game IMO

#46 8 months ago

Going to go with Willy Wonka LE with TZ as a close second. Wonka get's the edge due to the modern day and deeper ruleset + LCD and RGB LED lighting.

#47 8 months ago

Why no Poll this seems like it should be mandatory for this type of thread...I am offended!

#48 8 months ago

I own both Addams family and twilight zone. Do I find twilight zone more interesting yes. But Addams family for the win. Best selling game for a reason. Also the oldest game in my collection

#49 8 months ago
    Quoted from Jesterfunhouse:

Why no Poll this seems like it should be mandatory for this type of thread...I am offended!

Poll is here in the OG thread along with all our original thoughts

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/what-is-pat-lawlor-s-top-pinball-machines-

#50 8 months ago

TZ is my favorite game to look at. TAF is my favorite to play.

There are 57 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.