10 years ago

Topic Stats

• 10 posts
  • 9 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 5 months ago by TheLaw
  • Topic is favorited by 8 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Createx_Opaque-Set_5803-00.jpg

#1 10 years ago

Looking for advice on what kind of paint to put on the playfield for a crotch touch up on the Golden Eye pinball near the drain holeas well as what kind of filler to use to even out the playfield before painting the touch up. This playfield will be clearcoated eventually and I need a paint that wont bleed or react with the clearcoat.

Cheers.

#2 10 years ago

the best advise is from cd's made by shaggy and norm. I think its $6 or $12 for the complete set. simply mail him (tim arnold, PHOF) a check and he will send you the cd's:tim arnold 2620 s. maryland #241 PMB Las Vegas NV 89109 also, the money goes to the salvation army i think.

#3 10 years ago

Acrylic paint if the PF is getting clear coated.

#4 10 years ago

We NEVER use Sharpie pen, Paint Pen, or those little bottles of Testors enamel that you have left over from your Dungeons & Dragons days - EVER.

All of the above will run into the final Clear Coat, making a smeary mess (for you or the poor sucker that buys the game after you and tries to have it restored).

We don't want to use those cheap $1 acrylics from the craft store, because they fade so quickly, making our repairs more apparent over the years.

We don't want to use cheap paints because they don't contain enough pigment to cover in a single coat (especially expensive pigments like Red). Add a little thinner so you can run it through the airbrush, and you find there is almost nothing there.

We don't want paints that dry darker than they look when wet.

We don't want paints that become darker when they are clear coated.

We don't want a paint that permanently sets until heated. This gives us an "out" if we spill, mix the wrong color, or simply make a mistake.

So what paint can we use? Createx air brush colors.

http://www.createxcolors.com/products.html

1. It's already good to go in your airbrush, no thinning is necessary (unless you are doing shading)

2. It covers in a single coat.

3. No waiting for it to dry. If you like your work, you hit it with a heat gun (use a hair dryer if this is your first time - safer), and go on to the next color. Tape will not lift it. This saves you hours of time.

4. It does not react with auto clear coat.

5. It dries the color you mixed it.

6. It is almost the exact same shade when clearcoated.

7. The colors mix properly. Many cheap paints just turn brown when mixed (blue + yellow = brown).

8. It's fade resistant.

9. It sets so fast with heat that even when using white, old colors do not telegraph through the new paint.

Yes, it's $4 a bottle, not .99 cents, but once you try it, you won't ever go back to cheap paint again.

http://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/vids-guide-to-ultimate-playfield-restoration

Createx_Opaque-Set_5803-00.jpgCreatex_Opaque-Set_5803-00.jpg

#5 10 years ago

Listen to Vid, the man knows his stuff.

#6 10 years ago

I know some paints make depressions in the clear coat, is that due to the paint absorbing more of the clear coat materials than other non-touched up areas?

#7 10 years ago
    Quoted from cal50:

Acrylic paint if the PF is getting clear coated.

Can you elaborate please? Sounds like you know your stuff, like the vid man, why is this ok? Learning here Is it because acrylic in non-oil based (I think it is anyway)? I have a couple small...real small spots on my LW# near the Uzi fun. The rest of the PF is mint (Ok, maybe not mint but a solid 9). If I use acrylic will I be using the correct paint type? Then I clear over it...let dry properly...wet sand after???

Thanks if you answer...I respect you guys that know and share your info

10 years later
    #8 5 months ago

Can these be applied with a brush?

#9 5 months ago
    Quoted from Anindyfan:

You can apply airbrush paint with a brush. I would recommend using an airbrush though otherwise it's hard to avoid brush marks.

My personal paint preference is currently Golden High Flow paints.

#10 5 months ago
    Quoted from Anindyfan:

Yes.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/best-paint-to-use-for-playfield-touch-ups and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.