Topic Stats

• 89 posts
  • 70 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 3 years ago by chucktee
  • Topic is favorited by 4 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

One image has been uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

SDC10270.JPG

There are 89 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 2.
#51 5 years ago
Quoted from dsuperbee:

A LOT of these games people are listed I would not consider novelty games at all.

W?D, JP, MM, AP13 are NOT novelty pins. They may have unique toys or a huge MB count, but I do not consider that making a novelty pin. (If it did, games like, FH, RS, PM would be included too, and I doubt anyone would consider any of those a novelty pin.)

Disagree on W?D--the option to double your points or lose all of them via an interactive and functional roulette wheel on the DMD meets the definition of a novelty pin, in my book anyway.

Similarly, so would a game like CP IMO (boxer bashing, jumping rope, etc.).

Anyway, since there's no Pinball rule-book, I suppose it ultimately comes down to how one subjectively interprets the definition of novelty.

FWIW, here's how Merriam-Websters defines it:

"Full Definition of NOVELTY

1: something new or unusual

2: the quality or state of being novel : newness

3: a small manufactured article intended mainly for personal or household adornment —usually used in plural

4: something (as a song or food item) that provides often fleeting amusement and is often based on a theme —often used attributively "

#52 5 years ago
Quoted from dfsays:

Cedar Point in Sandusky, OH has TWO Hercules machines.

I hear they have quite a few Herculean coasters as well.

#53 5 years ago

Derby Day, or similar horse racing pin with mechanical horses.

#54 5 years ago
Quoted from NorCalRealtor:

Derby Day, or similar horse racing pin with mechanical horses.

Like Williams "Winner"

#55 5 years ago

Hyperball although it is more of a gun game or a gunball machine.

Everyone plays it in my collection.
I would also consider Champion Pub as kind of a novelty pin.

#56 5 years ago

In terms of 'novelty' pins, only a few stand out as really belonging in that category to me. Most pins are just variations on the current standard components, but some are just 1-of-a-kind 'different.'

My off-the-cuff list of standouts, with some comments (most already mentioned here:

Orbitor 1 (contoured playfield, fun, different type of game, even better with alcohol!)
Safecracker (besides the board game on the backbox, the 3/4 size sale is one-of-a-kind!)
Slugfest (Not actually pinball, this pitch-and-bat baseball game goes beyond the traditional ones with target values that vary based on the situation and the up/down home run ramp--plus, the card dispenser is cool!)
Hercules (huge and actually kinda fun once you adjust your size/speed mindset)
Varkon (almost video-game-like and feels weird because the playfield is reflected vertically)
Joust (head-to-head pin, best with 2 players; hard to find)
Strikes 'N Spares (if a pinball machine and a puck bowler had an illegitimate love child)
Hyperball (machine-gun target action in a pinball cab)
Baby Pacman (not quite a full pin, not quite a full videogame)
Pinball Circus (multilevel pinball in a videogame cabinet; not a concern because you'll never find one to buy!)

And not a novelty, but check out an old pre-flipper woodrail, or an early flipper pin where the flippers are not in the usual location.

Another option: a bingo game--sort of a flipperless pin, all plunging and nudging skills, can be fun--but they are EMs and heavy!!

#57 5 years ago

Canada Dry.

#58 5 years ago
Quoted from Spraynard:

I saw a very weird pin at the most recent louisville Show, but I don't recall the name. It looked like an upright arcade machine, but had a small reversed pinball playfield in it, and a mirror to make it look like you were viewing a video screen. It was really neat- anyone know what I'm talking about?

This is what you played. And it's awesome.

SDC10270.JPG
#61 5 years ago

I would add Haunted House and Black Hole to the list for the lower reversed-direction playfield.

#62 5 years ago
Quoted from tamoore:

I built my collection as an exercise in diversity and novelty, focusing mostly on diversity - but I'm not done yet.
I think a diverse and novel collection needs a pitch-n-bat.
I think a diverse collection could use one of the cannon games like Hyperball.
I think a diverse collection has some games from every era, starting in the 40's up through today.
I think a diverse collection contains games from all the major designers.
I think a diverse collection contains playfields with as many different features and mechanics available to designers as possible. I'm still missing a 'spinning disc' pin, but I'm looking at a WCS94 tonight that will kind of fits that criteria.
Mostly, building a diverse collection requires a bit of thought, IMO.

lets not forget. Diverse collection should have games from all manufacturers, with some rare euro stuff thrown in for good measure.

#63 5 years ago
Quoted from CaptainNeo:

lets not forget. Diverse collection should have games from all manufacturers, with some rare euro stuff thrown in for good measure.

I have Gottlieb, Allied Leisure, Bally, Data East, Sega, and Williams.

#64 5 years ago

I'm surprised I don't see more "Help me balance my lineup" threads..

#65 5 years ago

You know you want a Twister tamoore.

#66 5 years ago

Most popular around here is safecracker. Kids just love it, don't no if its small size, tokens, or unlimited balls. Champion pub is fun too for what it is.

#67 5 years ago

In another thread recently, someone listed Night Moves as a novelty pin. I've never seen or played it before, but it is cocktail table style.

Also, if you're ever in Colorado, go check out Lyons Pinball. They have 5 of the 6 you bullet pointed, plus Safe Cracker, and WOZ.

#69 5 years ago
Quoted from Marc:

This is what you played. And it's awesome.

SDC10270.JPG 558 KB

Marc, how much do those sale for? I have never seen one come up on the market before. Yours is the only one I have ever had the chance to play.

#70 5 years ago
Quoted from StevenP:

In terms of 'novelty' pins, only a few stand out as really belonging in that category to me. Most pins are just variations on the current standard components, but some are just 1-of-a-kind 'different.'
My off-the-cuff list of standouts, with some comments (most already mentioned here:
Orbitor 1 (contoured playfield, fun, different type of game, even better with alcohol!)
Safecracker (besides the board game on the backbox, the 3/4 size sale is one-of-a-kind!)
SlugFest (Not actually pinball, this pitch-and-bat baseball game goes beyond the traditional ones with target values that vary based on the situation and the up/down home run ramp--plus, the card dispenser is cool!)
Hercules (huge and actually kinda fun once you adjust your size/speed mindset)
Varkon (almost video-game-like and feels weird because the playfield is reflected vertically)
Joust (head-to-head pin, best with 2 players; hard to find)
Strikes 'N Spares (if a pinball machine and a puck bowler had an illegitimate love child)
Hyperball (machine-gun target action in a pinball cab)
Baby Pacman (not quite a full pin, not quite a full videogame)
Pinball Circus (multilevel pinball in a videogame cabinet; not a concern because you'll never find one to buy!)

Nice list.
I would add:
- Banzai Run for its vertical play field.
- Revenge from Mars (or Caveman) for the integration of a video display / video game

Then I do not know if weird = novel, but you may consider adding:
- the pin with a non planar playfield - can't recall the name / it involves some kind of "craters".
- pins with banana-shaped flippers
- If I am correct Bally Black Belt has a unique third flipper location, on top of the play field. I don't know if one should consider it novel. Rather odd / original.
- and many others

#71 5 years ago
Quoted from jlm33:

Nice list.
I would add:

- Revenge From Mars (or Caveman) for the integration of a video display / video game

Also add Motor Show and Star Wars Episode 1

#72 5 years ago

An old one that is pretty fun is WINNER.

http://ipdb.org/machine.cgi?id=2792

It's a horseracing theme. It has four flippers. An autolaunch button (in 1972) fires the ball into play from a swiveling launcher. It has a lower playfield showing the horse race. There are no inlanes just slings all the way to the flippers, so it's 99% on the fly shooting.

It's kind of like a hybrid between a pitch and bat and a pinball.

#73 5 years ago
Quoted from TigerLaw:

Marc, how much do those sale for? I have never seen one come up on the market before. Yours is the only one I have ever had the chance to play.

I know a couple of people that have turned down $5-6k recently for unrestored examples. One sold on CL about two years ago in the mid $2k's, if I remember correctly it was not working. I turned down a $10k offer in the build thread I did last year, that same guy put out a WTB post offering up to $10k and got one a few weeks later. I'm pretty sure Al Warner sold his this year but I don't know for how much, maybe Al will chime in.

Like many pins it is not worth what it cos but like many collectibles it can cost a lot to make it change hands.

#74 5 years ago

Safe Cracker, Varkon, Joust and Hercules are interesting and fun to play. I have played Marc's on several occasions and they are always very popular in his booth at the Texas Pinball Festival.

I own a Hi-Score Pool made by Chicago Coin. The glowing cue balls really grab peoples attention as they pass by and when playing a two player game, it can get really fun trying to steal the other person's points by completing a rack they started. It looks to be a really simple game but it always seemed to have someone playing it at the TPF this year.

Strange Science with it's neon topper and atom smasher multiball launcher is alot of fun and generally gets a fair bit of play when setup at the TPF. I took Strange Science to the TPF three years in a row. I recently picked up the blue neon replacement tube and will be upgrading it to LEDs. Strange Science seems to always be one of my pins that people are drawn to.

I now have enough normal type pins that I am starting to seek out the oddball and unusual pins for my collection. Someday I will find me a Williams Joust...

-- Shawn

#75 5 years ago
Quoted from vid1900:

Time Warp - with its crazy curved flippers and demented artwork, it always trips up the "expert" players until they learn to use all that spin.

Disco Fever had the Banana Flippers before Time Warp.

#76 5 years ago

Rocky

#77 5 years ago
Quoted from TigerLaw:

PM Al Warner, he recently sold his.

....and I didn't know about it!!!!

1 month later
#78 5 years ago

Been trying to find a Nags, Hayburner, Winner etc in MN for awhile now and no luck. Not easy finding an EM horse racing game locally.

7 months later
#79 5 years ago

Caveman.... Old thread... Interesting topic.

#81 5 years ago

I love my Alvin G Football (soccer not USA football). Guessing by the fact it's called Football I imagine it is a re-import. Not much fun to play alone, but at parties it's a great alternative to beer pong (and allot cleaner).

Took it to expo last year and I think on the first night the blue goalie up coil locked on. Luckily somebody turned it off before it did any real damage and I was able to change a mosfet and get it back up and running. I think the fan helped get the coil smell out the the public's noses quickly before it got too hot.

Allot of people complained about the LED flashers, and I now sort of agree and will be toning them down some how before next year.

#82 5 years ago
Quoted from Pugsley:

I love my Alvin G Football...
Allot of people complained about the LED flashers, and I now sort of agree and will be toning them down some how before next year.

LOL... Yea. Thanks for bringing that. Cool game, but man.. PAINFUL!

#83 5 years ago

CUE !!

1 year later
#85 3 years ago

little late to the game but... gottlieb caveman and williams haunted house gun shooter would really round out a collection. We have a repro of a 1940's Mills golden nugget slot machine that everyone gravitates to. Even the kids. There's something about putting a quarter in, pulling a handle and hoping for a jackpot.

And you really need CD jukebox.

#86 3 years ago

My juke takes 45s. Working on a touch screen, but people love the oldie.

2 months later
#87 3 years ago

I had to revise this old post because of the excellent collected suggestions.

For me, I wanted to add either a Slugfest, a pitch 'n bat game, or Strikes & Spares, a bowling type game to my collection.

#89 3 years ago
Quoted from Spraynard:

I saw a very weird pin at the most recent louisville Show, but I don't recall the name. It looked like an upright arcade machine, but had a small reversed pinball playfield in it, and a mirror to make it look like you were viewing a video screen. It was really neat- anyone know what I'm talking about?

Williams Varkon. Question: would video game pinball machines count? If so I suggest Atari's Video Pinball- not a bad game condsidering it was made in 1978. A good game to add to any collection IMHO.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 999.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields
6,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Columbus, OH
There are 89 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 2.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside