Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 20 posts
  • 16 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 11 years ago by exflexer
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

#1 11 years ago

Totally rebuilding a Sys11 for a customer.

For the GI around the flippers, we are going to need the best non strobing LEDs.

Note, ghosting is NOT the problem - the customer plays in total darkness so strobing is the big issue.
    =
    =
    Please do not just give a kneejerk reaction and say Cointaker. I need an informed answer from people who are sensitive to STROBING, and have made direct comparisons.

TIA

#2 11 years ago

If the customer is sensitive to strobing, I honestly just recommend not using LEDs at all just to be safe. My wife gets migraines from strobing lights, and just the intensity of the LED brightness sets her off if in a dark environment. I know I'm not answering the question, and I'm also in the process of experimenting with various LEDs in my own games to see what works best without blowing out my old retinas in my eyes. I'm very interested in what others will suggest here.

Michael

#3 11 years ago

Wish I could make a suggestion but also very interested to hear responses..
    I played several machines at PINBALLZARCADE in Austin..
    WH20 and LOTR and it was VERY annoying trying to follow the ball..
    It was like being in an old disco tech.. I hated it

#4 11 years ago

I'm not advocating cointaker although I use theirs in all my machines but call them. Speak with Chris. He is extremely honest and will tell you the right answer even if it's not a product that's his. If you are looking for LED information there is no one else I trust. Most other info is conjecture based on preference.

#5 11 years ago

Thanks for the answers so far guys.

I really wanted an all LED solution because this customer can not remove the glass . He is an older collector with limited dexterity and mobility, so removing a sheet of glass is out of the question.

He has been a customer of mine from way back in my coinop days, so I always give him a 1 year warranty for his loyalty. I don't mind making a service call for a blown coil, but stopping by to replace a bulb or two sucks.

#6 11 years ago

I bought cointaker Premiums non-ghosting for the center stringer fish in FT because cointaker's web page states "Also reduce Strobing Effects." I wouldn't say I'm sensitive to strobing... but I do notice it still with these really only when my eyes scan fast over the area while playing.

They do seem better than the cointaker frosted and ablaze 1-LED which is all I can compare it to.

I might make an order of noflix plus for comparison but that is a ways out.

#7 11 years ago
    Quoted from Metalpin:

If the customer is sensitive to strobing, I honestly just recommend not using LEDs at all just to be safe.

+1

I recently shopped out a WH2O and put high-quality LEDs in all the GI in addition to the inserts. Biggest mistake ever. The game is basically unplayable as a result of the 60hz strobe. I won't make that mistake again. I'll use incandescents for parts of the GI that illuminate the playfield and use LEDs everywhere else.

#8 11 years ago

My wife had an issue with strobing on the gi of our FT.

We got the noflix plus from pinball center - frosted cool whites- pretty much solved the issue. Took a week to ship, but worth it to me.

#9 11 years ago

I use these on machines that are especially prone to strobing:

http://www.pinballcenter.eu/english/product-informations/noflix-advantages/pinball-led-noflix.html

Expensive, but I've had good experience with them. My Wh2o is fine with them (was not fine with regular LEDs).

TILTed post. Sign in to be able to view TILTed posts.
    #11 11 years ago

Are Cointaker Retros strobe free by any chance?

#12 11 years ago
    Quoted from PinCrush:

I use these on machines that are especially prone to strobing:
    http://www.pinballcenter.eu/english/product-informations/noflix-advantages/pinball-led-noflix.html
    Expensive, but I've had good experience with them. My Wh2o is fine with them (was not fine with regular LEDs).

These are really cool.

I have a few teal ones. They still glow after you take them out. Strange.

#13 11 years ago
    Quoted from Crash:

Are Cointaker Retros strobe free by any chance?

They definitely do strobe, but they only do it heavily on my TZ when the GI tries to dim (e.g. when the powerball is out). I've temporarily turned off the dimming feature to avoid this in the past, but now I've actually grown to like the effect.

#14 11 years ago
    Quoted from markmon:

Cointaker premium is the way to go here.

Not really.

I've tried them. They don't ghost. They *do* strobe.

NoFlix Plus are the best bet by far if you are going to use LEDs but want the least amount of strobe effect possible.

#15 11 years ago

Noflix, my FT was unplayable with old cointaker supers. Changed to noflix and never looked back. Great service too

#16 11 years ago

I have a congo full of noflix (normal noflix) and they strobe. i think the ones that dont are the noflixPLUS. those cost more and i think you need to do some changes on the sockets.
    check their shop for more info:
    http://www.pinballcenter.eu/catalog/noflix-pinball-leds-c-22.html?language=english

#17 11 years ago

Yeah, mine are the plus ones too

#18 11 years ago

It's hard to answer this question correctly. For example I have cointaker frosted in my GI's on multiple WPC machines. One of the three machines has a strobing problem. I have tried Pinball Life leds on the machine with the strobing problem and it's the same result only the light output is less than the cointakers. So now cointaker has released their Premium 2 non ghosting LED bulbs. Cointaker specifically listed them as "designed to reduce ghosting and strobing effects." I do intend to purchase to see if it fixes the issue.

#19 11 years ago

People should understand the difference between "ghosting" and "strobing." (and feel free to correct me if I'm wrong, but this is my understanding)

"Ghosting" is an effect that is the result of game software adjusting the timing of the voltage to the lamps to create dimming effects. With incandescent lamps, the elements wouldn't immediately switch off so it creates a dimming effect. Since LEDs are instant on-off, the software's attempt to dim the lights creates a noticeable blinking.

"Strobing" is a similar effect but it's the result of using AC current to power the GI and other light systems. By its nature, AC current alternates back and forth 60 times a second. So you will see a strobe effect as a result of the alternating current.

#20 11 years ago

PinballHelp I think that most of us know what each is but that should clear anything up for newer people to the hobby.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/best-non-strobing-leds?responsive=0 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.