1 year ago

Topic Stats

• 89 posts
  • 52 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 1 year ago by pookycade
  • Topic is favorited by 3 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

There have been 16 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

DSCN5392 (resized).JPG
    DSCN5393 (resized).JPG
    DSCN5395 (resized).JPG
    DSCN7644 (resized).JPG
    DSCN7627 (resized).JPG
    DSCN7648SA (resized).jpg
    IMG_0563 (resized).JPG
    Screenshot_5814 (resized).png
    IMG_1221 (resized).JPG
    IMG_1205 (resized).JPG
    IMG_1208 (resized).JPG
    IMG_1213 (resized).JPG
    IMG_1220 (resized).JPG
    IMG_1216 (resized).JPG
    Shoot Again.jpg
    King Pin Artwork (2) (resized).jpg

There are 89 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 2.
    #51 1 year ago

I would second the statement on Bally's Aladdin's Castle. I had never played it, my buddy had fond memories of the title and I found him one.

It is a great two player pin that I really enjoy playing.

Of the EM pins I have owned, they are almost exclusively Gottlieb and while I love them I have rally started to appreciate the later Bally pins. The bonus count down and extra ball function on the Bally EM pins have really spoken to me.

For some reason I really don't like roll over switches that are in the middle of the playfield, they don't feel like a target I am aiming at, so that has made me dislike many Williams pins that seem to always have many of these switches.

#52 1 year ago

Just picked these projects up!

IMG_1216 (resized).JPG

IMG_1220 (resized).JPG

IMG_1213 (resized).JPG

IMG_1208 (resized).JPG

IMG_1205 (resized).JPG

IMG_1221 (resized).JPG

#53 1 year ago

There are just so many to choose from:

1-Player, short flipper: WMS Magic City and WMS Heatwave. Excellent artwork, super gameplay

4 Player, long flipper:
    WMS Aztec, Space Mission and Grand Prix

Bally Bow and Arrow, collect bonus in play, not so easy ABCD lower PF targets to double bonus, risky center PF extra ball shot, tricky gate back to shooter lane, spinners you can rip, skill shot and great theme.

Bally Wizard: awesome artwork, v. risky 5000 point shot (also for Special), cool flip flop targets. Good back-to-top action.

#54 1 year ago
    Quoted from gdonovan:

I think Williams are better machines, though I'll state Gottlieb chimes sound better.
    Just picked up Williams Olympic Hockey last week and we have been flogging it for dear life! Game is a riot with awesome flow, great playfield action with cool backglass animation with goofy goal buzzer that cracks me up every time a goal is scored.
    Jungle King and Lucky Hand were "meh" and Ship Ahoy is just ok.

I disagree. Jungle King even though it's not great, it sure kicks the crap out of Blue Chip. Big Ben might be the crappiest mid 70's EM ever made and the artwork or game play is nowhere near as good as on Ship Ahoy. Lucky Hand has a great rule set and it's a players game with a way to lose the ball if you are a trapper. Drop targets and rollovers as a way to build up to WOW and Royal Straight Flush. I think LH is as close to playing poker on a pin as you can get. I will give you Rancho over Bronco, which in fact Bronco does suck. Williams Teacher's Pet is a great player, but it's period rivals are Buckaroo, Majorettes, and King of Diamonds, etc..,. I like many Bally games, but Joust is a total bag of cow crap, and playing Dixieland at Pinfest, I am glad I played a few games before I sought out that title. Odds and Evens blows to play, but the artwork is awesome. To each his own.

#56 1 year ago
    Quoted from 1974DeltaQueen:

I disagree. Jungle King even though it's not great, it sure kicks the crap out of Blue Chip. Big Ben might be the crappiest mid 70's EM ever made and the artwork or game play is nowhere near as good as on Ship Ahoy. Lucky Hand has a great rule set and it's a players game with a way to lose the ball if you are a trapper. Drop targets and rollovers as a way to build up to WOW and Royal Straight Flush. I think LH is as close to playing poker on a pin as you can get. I will give you Rancho over Bronco, which in fact Bronco does suck.

I can only opine on the games I have owned- JK and LH both bored me to tears and Ship Ahoy is ok, just broke 300,000 on it which annoyed my wife mightily since she was holding the high score.. of 166,000.. which I destroyed two games in a row. I'm not a big fan of gambling or card games so Lucky Hand had an uphill battle.. which it lost. Have to catch the ball and cradle it time after time to make the shot at one card needed got old fast. Some people like that style, to each their own.

Since I have not played Blue Chip or Big Ben I can offer no opinion aside from looking up game play on youtube of Big Ben and it struck me as boring as hell which is a pity as the backglass and cabinet are rather cool. Local one for sale which I passed on for that reason.

Newest acquisition is a Bally Time Zone.. I'm not sure its going to make the cut here. The game has no real flow even though it has a few neat features, the art work is ok and the chimes mediocre. The lack of flow is really a killer.

Williams Teacher's Pet is a great player, but it's period rivals are Buckaroo, Majorettes, and King of Diamonds, etc..,. I like many Bally games, but Joust is a total bag of cow crap, and playing Dixieland at Pinfest, I am glad I played a few games before I sought out that title. Odds and Evens blows to play, but the artwork is awesome. To each his own.

We have a 1968 Williams Ding Dong (sister to add a ball Smarty) and its a rocking little game. Making the horseshoe shot for 500 is a bitch without draining.

#57 1 year ago
    Quoted from 1974DeltaQueen:

I think LH is as close to playing poker on a pin as you can get.

Check out Williams 21. You're playing Black Jack against the machine. Very cool game with awesome art. Maybe even better than Jacks Open, maybe..

Quoted from gdonovan:

shot for 500 is a bitch without draining.

Now you go sit in the corner and think about those words you just said.

#58 1 year ago

OP stated he didn't like 2" flippers. Maybe you haven't found a good one. I just played Domino and Bristol Hills and they were great.

#59 1 year ago

Pinball art, like all art is subjective, so I like to leave that part out of it and just focus on playability... there are a ton of non-GTB games that fill the bill... JR mentions the WMS reverse wedgies, I have to agree there's a ton of great ones in that list. Love me some WMS Apollo as another 2 inch flip game that rocks.

Have to admit, I'm partial to 3 inch flips and games like WMS Super Star, Gulfstream, Grand Prix... also can't go wrong with Old Chicago... the game has a lot going on, and an art package that's killer - it's a super-challenging game when tuned right - those side pops make ball control quite the challenge. I'm also a fan of Bally Hang Glider, but could do without the backglass. Always enjoyed Night Rider, another Bally classic.

#60 1 year ago

Hot Line
    Captain Fantastic
    Fireball
    Nip-It
    Blue Chip
    Sky rocket
    Spanish Eyes

So many to choose from. There's no single best.

#62 1 year ago
    Quoted from dmbjunky:

OP stated he didn't like 2" flippers. Maybe you haven't found a good one. I just played Domino and Bristol Hills and they were great.

That's likely the case, and the only zipper flipper I played was a quick game of fireball. I didn't have a lot of time to sit and enjoy the game and only played one.

#63 1 year ago
    Quoted from Barkz:

That's likely the case, and the only zipper flipper I played was a quick game of fireball. I didn't have a lot of time to sit and enjoy the game and only played one.

Fireball is kind of a bitch. That stupid spinning disc makes it so random. Love to play it every now and then but wouldn't want to own it.

Mini-Zag and Nip It are better zipper flippers. I'm sure there others too that are slipping my mind.

I think normal 2" flipper games have normal spacing between them so they aren't any tougher than 3" flippers.

#64 1 year ago
    Quoted from dmbjunky:

I think normal 2" flipper games have normal spacing between them so they aren't any tougher than 3" flippers.

No way....less chance to control the ball

#65 1 year ago
    Quoted from TheLaw:

No way....less chance to control the ball

Makes the game more interesting.

#66 1 year ago

Playing your first game of Slick Chick and dealing with that flipper gap is like losing a special version of pinball virginity

#67 1 year ago

Screenshot_5814 (resized).png

#68 1 year ago

Flip Flop
    I got to play this gem at the Ann Arbor show. Very fun game tipping cows/horses. 4 flippers, very unique outlane arrangement that works really well once you get the hang of it, the flags (cow, horses, some farm animal) that flip over once you hit them, 2 kickout holes, 2 pop bumpers and some roll over and the 2 reset switches. I like it better than Wizard which has some similar features.

#69 1 year ago

Slick Chick looks wider than Domino which is still fresh in my mind.

IMG_0563 (resized).JPG

#70 1 year ago
    Quoted from dmbjunky:

Slick Chick looks wider than Domino which is still fresh in my mind.

I was looking at buying a Domino at one time.

Semi-local guy wanted just a little too much cash for his example which had been unserviced for several years and worn.

Patience I say, one will turn up or a better title. As it turned out a Ship Ahoy fell into my lap for less and after servicing is a fine example of a Gottlieb to have in the line up. Just crushed my wifes high score of 166k with a 279k game then followed it up with a 295k

She was not amused, held that 166k spot for a few weeks.

DSCN7648SA (resized).jpg

DSCN7627 (resized).JPG

DSCN7644 (resized).JPG

#71 1 year ago

Ha!
    last couple posts show Gottlieb games, getting a little OT.
    I just picked up a Bally Hang Glider-Double bonus, 1000 point (lit)spinner, Drop targets for EB, 4 player, and 100,000 lights for each player AND an "over the top" light and buzzer to go along!

#72 1 year ago
    Quoted from DNO:

Ha!
    I just picked up a Bally Hang Glider-Double bonus, 1000 point (lit)spinner, Drop targets for EB, 4 player, and 100,000 lights for each player AND an "over the top" light and buzzer to go along!

I love my over the top on Aladdin's Castle, It also has a factory setting of 99K for a free game, so when you hear that knock, you are concentrating on hitting anything to score 1000 pts. before it drains.

#73 1 year ago
    Quoted from DNO:

Ha!

I was just trying to illustrate that a 2" flipper gap isn't bigger than a 3".

#74 1 year ago

What about Stern Pinball? I've only played it in one tournament but I thought it was fun.

#75 1 year ago
    Quoted from gdonovan:

Makes the game more interesting.

I'm not arguing that...only that shorter bats give less control almost always. Although there are games like 4 square that play almost the same as a 3"

#76 1 year ago
    Quoted from Barkz:

Just picked these projects up!

"Hi-Deal" is a super game! One really cool thing about it is that it can be an add-a-ball and replay game SIMULTANEOUSLY!!!! Love it!

#77 1 year ago

Stern Rawhide/stampede satisfying spinner ,captive ball ,spots targets and a fast overall game plays pretty good so does Klondike .

#78 1 year ago

What are Gottlieb games doing in a "non-gottlieb-em" thread?!

Bruce

#79 1 year ago

Let's not forget Sonic games. My Mars Trek is great, and I talked my buddy into buying a Prospector from Hoov.

#81 1 year ago

I wish these spinners lit for 1,000. Would make the game a lot more fun for me.

#82 1 year ago

What I have (in order of most liked)...

Freedom prototype
    Old Chicago
    Skyrocket
    Rancho
    Spanish Eyes
    Dixieland
    Heat Wave
    Grand Tour
    4 Roses
    Expressway
    Queen's Castle (as yet unplayed, not sure)

Don't have, but like (in no particular order)...

Big Day
    Sheba (or Campus Queen more available, Gator for zipper flipper but terrible art)
    8-Ball
    Wiggler
    Cosmos
    Expo
    Gay 90's
    See Saw
    4 Million BC
    Doodle Bug
    Little Joe
    Sea Ray
    Hi-Deal
    Space Odyssey
    Fireball
    Bow and Arrow
    Aztec
    Grand Prix
    Aerobatics
    Hot Tip

Since the Freedom proto is so hard to find, I'd have to vote Old Chicago as my reasonably attainable Bally 3" flipper choice. Art, gameplay, sounds... all high-level stuff here.

2" flipper Bally hard to decide... three-way tie between Fireball, Dixieland, 4MBC. If pressed I'd go Dixieland for the innovative geometry (and I like the artwork), though Fireball has better artwork in most people's eyes and 4MBC ain't no slouch either.

Williams 3" choice is either Rancho or Hot Tip... leaning Rancho here.

2" would be a tie between 8-Ball and Heat Wave.

#83 1 year ago

Okay here's my line up in no particular order... All are multiplayer except one ...
    Bally Bow and arrow
    Williams Expo
    Williams jackpot
    Bally Little Joe
    Bally See Saw
    Williams Jolly Roger
    Sonic Cherry belle
    Williams Aztec
    Williams OXO
    Williams Friendship 7 (single player AAB)
    And finally my only Gottlieb Em now
    Dodge City

One's I want to add are....

Bally Hang Glider
    Bally Night Rider
    Williams Rancho
    Williams Grand Prix
    Bally Band wagon
    Bally Hokus Pokus
    There are more that I like but those are high on the list

And BTW. Blue Chip can be a fast ass game. If set up and tweaked right. Can be AAB or Replay. I loved the one I had. Wish I still had it. I was just Gottlieb EM brainwashed then. LOL

#84 1 year ago
    Quoted from Gerry:

Okay here's my line up in no particular order... All are multiplayer except one ...
    Bally Bow and arrow
    Williams Expo
    Williams jackpot
    Bally Little Joe
    Bally See Saw
    Williams Jolly Roger
    Sonic Cherry belle
    Williams Aztec
    Williams OXO
    Williams Friendship 7 (single player AAB)
    And finally my only Gottlieb Em now
    Dodge City
    One's I want to add are....
    Bally Hang Glider
    Bally Night Rider
    Williams Rancho
    Williams Grand Prix
    Bally Band wagon
    Bally Hokus Pokus
    There are more that I like but those are high on the list
    And BTW. Blue Chip can be a fast ass game. If set up and tweaked right. Can be AAB or Replay. I loved the one I had. Wish I still had it. I was just Gottlieb EM brainwashed then. LOL

Nice!!!!! ...hmmm... I will be passing through Syracuse tomorrow....

#85 1 year ago

These are ones that stayed the cut. And there's more.

DSCN5395 (resized).JPG

DSCN5393 (resized).JPG

DSCN5392 (resized).JPG

#86 1 year ago

I am really enjoying old chicago. Got it because I got a good deal on it now I don't want to get rid of it. Fun game.

#87 1 year ago

Old Chicago would be an excellent choice if you can get a good deal AND if you are planning on doing a full restore. CPR currently has new backglasses and new plastics in stock and they are also measuring interest for a possible playfield production.

#88 1 year ago
    Quoted from klr650:

Old Chicago would be an excellent choice if you can get a good deal AND if you are planning on doing a full restore. CPR currently has new backglasses and new plastics in stock and they are also measuring interest for a possible playfield production.

Pinball pimp has a nice stencil set for Old Chicago too... My $120 OC turned out really nice!

#89 1 year ago

Williams Riverboat. Just restoring it now and it was a package deal. But boy is this thing lively and interesting to play. I'm keeping it.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
    $ 129.95
    Lighting - Interactive
    Hookedonpinball.com
    € 4.95
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Multigame
    $ 7,499.00
    Pinball Machine
    Classic Game Rooms
    Eproms
    Matt's Basement Arcade
    $ 159.99
    Lighting - Other
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 5,599.00
    Pinball Machine
    Classic Game Rooms
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Medisinyl Mods
    $ 15.00
    Playfield - Decals
    Metal-Mods
    $ 14.95
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    ULEKstore
    $ 99.99
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    £ 37.00
    Lighting - Led
    PinballToys
    Lighting - Led
    Lee's Parts
    $ 35.00
    Cabinet - Decals
    Pinball Pimp
    $ 89.95
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    Super Skill Shot Shop
    $ 26.95
    Playfield - Protection
    ULEKstore
    $ 22.00
    Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 169.95
    Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
    Pinball Pro
    Eproms
    Matt's Basement Arcade
    $ 99.00
    Lighting - Under Cabinet
    Rock Custom Pinball
    $ 10.95
    Apparel - Unisex
    Pinball Wheezer
    $ 19.95
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    ULEKstore
    $ 229.99
    $ 25.00
    $ 40.00
    Lighting - Other
    Rock Custom Pinball
    There are 89 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 2.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside