Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 30 posts
  • 24 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 4 years ago by PtownPin
  • Topic is favorited by 2 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

#1 4 years ago

So here in europe, all but pirates are available.
    I´ve played a lot of pinball in the eighties and start of ninties.

Now coming back playing whenever i get the chance. I really love playing CGC games, but i have questions on their lastability in a home setting.
    They seem fairly easy and lacking in depth?

Fourth time i played MMR i´ve got 46mills and was questioning how much more is there within the game?
    The kids loved it.

Monster bash, pretty much the same story, but it didn´t really do it for me, nor my kids surprisingly, which liked MMR much more.

I really liked AFMR, allthough the same goes about questioning lastability in a home setting. My kids havent played it.

Kids are teens/preteens two girls and a boy.

I´d love to play JJp´s since they look awesome, but there simply are none, on the locations we have available, where i live.

I think they all look great, except maybe dialed in, but i´ve learned not to trust what i see, since i really didn´t like looking at AFMR, but ended up liking it the most of the CGC´s.

So which title do you all recommend for a home family setting and why?

Greatly appreciate any input.

#2 4 years ago

I would say any of the JJP pins are great for a home environment.

These are just my opinions, will exclude notes on Pirates since like you said it isn't available.

WOZ is a classic at this point and has a good combination of objective based and points focused modes. WOZ is a loaded pin but I think many of the other JJP pins have started to outshine it in regards to gameplay. At the same time I think WOZ is a game you can own for years and always find something new to go after thanks to its extremely deep ruleset.

Wonka has been very popular, has an excellent layout, and a deep ruleset. I do hear some complaints about how the assets are used in Wonka and I tend to agree. The callouts in Wonka may get on your nerves but other then that the sound package seems pretty good. The SE comes across a good value considering there's still multiple interactive toys in it (Wonka Vision, magnets, kick back, spinning gobstopper, rotating ball lock).

Hobbit is the best and deepest objective based pinball machine in my opinion. The game features all of the assets from the films, licensed audio, and dozens of custom tracks by Two Steps from Hell spread through the games 30+ modes. Some people knock the layout but I think it's unique, fast (at least during multiball), and fun.

Dialed In is one of JJP's best pins and I would say is a tie in terms of best JJP layout along with Pirates. Dialed In is a standard body yet has as many if not more interactive features then JJP's widebody games. The ruleset is extremely deep, offers a good 12+ objective based modes (in addition to points based modes), and the SIM card collect feature will keep you coming back.

If I had to rank all JJP pins in terms of lastability due to ruleset depth and variety I would go with the following.

1. Pirates
    2. Hobbit
    3. Dialed In
    4. WOZ
    5. Wonka

#3 4 years ago

DI is probably the best for ease of shots, shot flow, and ease of rules and rules depth. Shots come naturally and the rules are easy to grasp, with the depth there for the more serious player.

WOZ and Hobbit are not the greatest shooters and their rule depth and complication of rules can be too much. Their displays can be too convoluted for all but those that play the most.

POTC is expensive and usually hard to come by, and if you can get one, is the most spendy of them all.

Wonka is a good shooter, but rule depth and toys/mechs aren't there. The sound assets can get bothersome after a while.

#4 4 years ago

I'll bite just my opinion. I have Woz 5 years ,Hobbit 3.5 years, and DI 1.5 years. I'm ordering Wonka and will probably get it once the virus is in check.

I would say DI number 1, with the sim card carry over setting. I love this game while my grandkids don't really play much pinball the 10 year old grandson likes DI the best.

Rating with what I know and own.

DI
    Hobbit and Woz tied

I also own MBr and AFRr. MBr probably gets more play the AFM but I think AFM has more to offer and is my brother in laws favorite pin I own and I play it more than MBr.

Good luck.

#5 4 years ago

Maybe when travel is easier. You might consider taking in a pinball show. To get a chance to play some JJP pins and see what you like ?

LTG : )

#6 4 years ago

WOZ is a good game to play Hobbit is a bit long playing but theme integration is amazing.

#7 4 years ago

I don't think you can go wrong with any of them IMO. I would just choose the theme that appeals most to you. All excellent games.

#8 4 years ago

I sold my Woz, Have Di,Potc and Wonka all L.E's in the house, By far my favorite game is still Di. Its my go to. Playfield is packed, kids love the selfie and emoji modes. Just a fun easy to follow game.

#9 4 years ago

I love JJP games as well, so not knocking them at all. But I am really surprised by your comments about MMr though! How many castles did you defeat? I had the game for awhile and put around 1000 games on it without ever beating it. There is a lot to do in the game in my opinion and I truly miss it.

As for your question, I love DI. A lot of cool features and I would love to own one. I never could get into WOZ. Never played Hobbit. Pirates is incredible. And I just played Wonka a few weeks ago for the first time and thought it was great!

Everyone’s opinion is going to be different on this so I would really suggest trying the games, even if it means traveling. Maybe there is a pinside local to you that has some JJP that you could try. Too expensive of a purchase to buy without trying imo.

#11 4 years ago

Thanks for all wellwritten replies.
    Seems opinion vary.
    Seems a Hard, but not unpleasant choice is ahead.

#12 4 years ago

Can’t go wrong with any JJP if theme appeals to you and family. If you were on the bachelor and down to five candidates, you’d be saying “this is the hardest decision I’ve ever had to make”.

Ranking JJP pins in terms of rules, layout, variety and lastability, I’d go with the following:

1. Pirates - best of bunch with interesting layout. Try hard to find this one first.

2. Hobbit - best integration of assets, code is deeeeeep, lots of troll bashing and unparalleled video integration makes game feel original.

3. Wonka - great flow/layout, easy to understand rules, but very few Wonka references found.

4. WOZ - most toys, perfect code and best bang for the buck. Plays a little slowly.

5. Dialed In - best layout with a suck-ass theme.

#13 4 years ago

My top 5:
    Dialed In!
    Pirates
    Wonka
    WOZ
    Hobbit

#14 4 years ago

I'd say Dialed In. I just acquired one and the fam loves it all the way down to the 7 year old. I was concerned about the theme because on location I thought it was pretty lame, but it actually gets better as you have it. Tons of cool toys to interact with. Woz is second, but probably a little too complicated rules-wise. Then I'd go Pirates, Wonka, Hobbit.

#15 4 years ago

I've owned or own all the JJP games.....Here is my list

POTC - unfortunately hard to come by, but by far JJP's best game to date. If u can find one its almost worth the premium
    Hobbit - Incredible theme integration - if your kids love the movies this game will be a big hit. Reasonably priced (at least in the states)
    Wonka - Nice shooter....theme integration is so so, nice family game
    Dialed In - Great shooter, but the theme blows so we ended up selling the game
    WOZ - Beautiful looking game, I know many love the game, I've owned two (RR, ECLE) and really tried to love the game, but in the end I couldn't get into it so we sold them off.

#16 4 years ago
    Quoted from Dr-pin:

Seems opinion vary.

Very much so. You should really play one before you buy it.

Me:
    1) Pirates
    2) Hobbit
    3a) Wonka
    3b) WOZ
    5) DI

Wife:
    1) WOZ
    2) Wonka
    3) Pirates
    4) Hobbit
    5) DI

29 year old daughter:
    1) WOZ
    2) Hobbit
    (that's all that she plays when she plays every couple of months)

When we have parties with non-pinhead friends and family, they generally like WOZ the most. Runner up in no particular order is Wonka and Pirates.

#17 4 years ago

Just get a CGC.

#18 4 years ago

I've also owned them all and most likely wld keep them all if I had the room as they are all different and great in different ways. My favorites in order are wonkale, dile and potcle which I still currently own and then hobbit smaug and RR woz. Again all are excellent I just personally like the layout of wonka and di the best and also the way the rules are. Potc is growing on me the longer I have it and really looking forward to the new code. Woz and hobbit were like playing a movie which is super immersive but the gameplay lacked in what I like in pinball which is speed and flow but they are great games none the less and cld definitely see me owning them again when I have more room. I think wonka and di wld be great pins for the family and have great staying power .... but I think any choice you make u will enjoy and have great memories with the family.
    What do you own currently and what are your favorite pins ?

#19 4 years ago

Only own The Hobbit, but i can tell you you can have a better game if you have a wingman that understands the game calling the shots behind your shoulder.

The game is so long, and the multiballs so frequent and long that i don't have any time to look at the screen. the callouts help, but they come after the screen calls the strategies..

A good game on The Hobbit can go 3/4 hr or more.

#20 4 years ago

I own wonka and woz

I love them both but prefer wonka because the layout is perfect. Since I am a play field layout guy that's my choice. Wonka, dialed in, pirates, woz, and hobbit are my jjp rankings.

Good luck, wonka can he had for cheap so I would buy it used if I were u

#21 4 years ago

Thanks for all great answer.
    If I cant get hold of a pirates, im leaning towards wonka or woz.
    Hobbit seems really special also, just a bit worried having it as a first starter pin.
    Dialed in is obviously packed but seems to me a bit like a wonka but with lesser theme?

So choosing between woz and wonka....
    World under glass with great alligiance to a timeless classic
    Vs
    Great layout with an also great theme, but not as packed and maybe not as true to the theme.

#22 4 years ago

Wonka is a faster playing game vs slow and clunky WOZ if that makes a difference to you. Not brutally fast, just faster.

#23 4 years ago

No offense here but if this is your first pin...
    Why not look into a Stern game?

I tend to find them a lot more approachable and fun, but that's just my opinion

#24 4 years ago
    Quoted from Dr-pin:

Thanks for all great answer.
    If I cant get hold of a pirates, im leaning towards wonka or woz.
    Hobbit seems really special also, just a bit worried having it as a first starter pin.
    Dialed in is obviously packed but seems to me a bit like a wonka but with lesser theme?
    So choosing between woz and wonka....
    World under glass with great alligiance to a timeless classic
    Vs
    Great layout with an also great theme, but not as packed and maybe not as true to the theme.

Just my two cents, but WOZ is challenging for kids to play (mine are 10 and 12)...theres just way too much going on .... I've owned two because I really wanted to love the game, but we ended up selling them both off....Hobbit is a far better choice (they love the game and they really relate to the movies)....the other games my kids love are Met, IJ, MMRLE, AFMRLE....they like POTC, but the game is way too complicated for them to understand

#25 4 years ago
    Quoted from Bingovit:

No offense here but if this is your first pin...
    Why not look into a Stern game?
    I tend to find them a lot more approachable and fun, but that's just my opinion

Myself i´ve played most of them, (havent played jurassic park, so i´ve considered that one, but i´m worried about quality and cheap boards)
    The ones i´ve played has felt somewhat underwhelming. The two best that i´ve played is maiden and metallica, but if you put them next to an attack from mars, i would play and definately rather own the AFM.

#26 4 years ago
    Quoted from PtownPin:

Just my two cents, but WOZ is challenging for kids to play (mine are 10 and 12)...theres just way too much going on .... I've owned two because I really wanted to love the game, but we ended up selling them both off....Hobbit is a far better choice (they love the game and they really relate to the movies)....the other games my kids love are Met, IJ, MMRLE, AFMRLE....they like POTC, but the game is way too complicated for them to understand

Same age as mine then. Thanks for the imput, it´s really hard to decide. I´ve promised them a decision before easter. I really like the looks of hobbit, but some say it´s not to fun playing it?
    Btw. it was viewing a clip of hobbit on youtube, that made me decide to pick up pinball again.

I Simply love AFM, and if there were any AFMRLE around that would be my first choice.
    Just cant bring myself to buy a special edition, since that would make me feel like i made a really bad purchase concidering the difference in regards to the LE.

#27 4 years ago

I've had all but WoZ, and I honestly regret selling Pirates AND The Hobbit. Come to think of it, I think I'm going to take my Dialed In ad down. I've had a lot of fun with that game during the quarantine! Dialed In and Wonka tie for 2nd for me. They're both great.

1. Pirates
    2. Dialed In
    3. Wonka
    4. WoZ
    5. Hobbit

#28 4 years ago

For a family, I would rank as

1. Wonka
    2. Hobbit
    3. DI
    4. Potc
    5. Woz.

Woz is a very tough game for beginners and it’s not always clear what to do. Potc is a players game, it’s tough to advance for beginners and can be a bit overwhelming. Wonka and hobbit have good call out instructions and it’s fairly easy to understand the shots. Di is great too, but theme may not be as attractive. Just my view. I’ve owned them all, still have Wonka and hobbit.

#29 4 years ago

I own 4 of the 5 JJP pins. Best for home/family setting?

1. Pirates. Excellent playability, 22 characters to choose from, great toys, my kids love it.
    2. DI. Great flow, excellent integration, just a lot of fun to play, doesn’t get old.
    3. WoZ. Probably the best theme of the lot, but the pin is tougher to play. Great theme, still gets s lot of play.
    4. Hobbit. This would actually be my #2 choice, but it’s a bit lost on my family save 1 daughter that loved the movies. Awesome theme, great video integration, playtime can be a bit long, which can be a turnoff at times.
    5. Wonka. Don’t own it, so can’t give a fair review/ranking..

Good luck!

#30 4 years ago
    Quoted from Dr-pin:

Same age as mine then. Thanks for the imput, it´s really hard to decide. I´ve promised them a decision before easter. I really like the looks of hobbit, but some say it´s not to fun playing it?
    Btw. it was viewing a clip of hobbit on youtube, that made me decide to pick up pinball again.
    I Simply love AFM, and if there were any AFMRLE around that would be my first choice.
    Just cant bring myself to buy a special edition, since that would make me feel like i made a really bad purchase concidering the difference in regards to the LE.

The great thing about AFMRLE and MMRLE is they are very approachable for most people. You can explain the rule sets in like 5 minutes therefore its easy for kids to understand, and kids, adults all love blowing up saucers and castles. I have the LE's (and the topper is awesome), but even the SE is an incredible game. Thats not an issue for the MMR as they don't sell a topper unless your gonna buy the Royal or purchase the topper for an additional $600. The challenge with most modern games is little kids have almost zero chance of understanding the deep rule sets. The Hobbit has by far the greatest theme integration (for JJP pins) and sound package, and the new code they released really makes the game great. If you have one close maybe u can go play? The other game I would suggest is Williams IJ...kids love the theme, and using the gun trigger

Trying to make everyone happy is always a BIG challenge (at least in my house)

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/best-new-buy-jjp-title-for-home-family and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.