(Topic ID: 149312)

Best mylar removal results for early SS playfields?

By westofrome

8 years ago

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

#1 8 years ago

Canned air, heat, or goo gone?

I've heard using Naphtha can help with the heat method (hair dryer) - is this a matter of squirting a small amount under lifted corners the way you would use goo gone?

#2 8 years ago

If the mylar went down several years into operation and the field surface was already showing damage (and still does under the mylar) you are apt to lose a considerable amount of playfield ink. Just be aware that removing mylar from an already compromised older field can go really south really fast.

#3 8 years ago

On Sys11 or older playfields, don't mess with the Mylar unless you are clearcoating the playfield.

#4 8 years ago

I pulled mylar off of a Future Spa last night using a heat gun. It worked well, with minimal lifting of paint.

#5 8 years ago

I agree with Vid. However I have an EBC that the mylar was very yellow and lifting. The mylar pealed off with ease but the adhesive stayed behind. I used goo gone on the adhesive letting it set for 15-30 minutes and pushing it off with those plastic razor blade scrapers. If you wet a paper towel with Naptha and wipe down the playfield anywhere the adhesive is it turns white. It took some time but the result was great. I had no intention of clearing that playfield because it just wasn't worth the cost. I did wax the crap out of it and recovered it with mylar and it looks awesome. Again agree with Vid but if its crap anyway its was worth a shot.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/best-mylar-removal-results-for-early-ss-playfields and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.