(Topic ID: 231994)

Best multiplayer game with lock stealing?

By joelbob

5 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

lock (resized).jpg
There are 64 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.
#1 5 years ago

Hey everyone. I recently purchased a The Hobbit which I LOVE but the ball times can get long for a multiplayer experience. For pin #2 I'm looking at getting something fast with great multiplayer interaction. I owned Total Nuclear Annihilation for a few weeks and I loved playing it with others but it got old playing by myself.

My question is what are some faster games that offer up great multiplayer experiences besides TNA? Preferably something with a simple ruleset that is easy to explain to beginners and has a cool interactive feature like ball lock stealing! Thanks!

#2 5 years ago

Four Million BC

I'd recommend a game with single ball stealing, not something where you lock two balls and then someone locks the third and they get a three ball multiball

#3 5 years ago

Radical has ball stealing and that game is fantastic

#4 5 years ago

Whirlwind.

One nice thing is that it remembers everyone's progress for locks, so it's not full lock stealing. If player 1 locks 2 balls and then player 2 lights 2 locks, locks those two bals, and then starts the MB, player one gets to relock those first 2 balls, but that's 2 extra shots to make. Plus, it's just a great game in general.

#5 5 years ago

For fast, fun, brutal, Multiball stealing gameplay I'd say Sorcerer

#7 5 years ago

Probably owner bias here, but Space Shuttle gets the most fun competition going when we have people over. Two physical locks you can see, and a drain hazard shot to drop the ramp target, and then a tight ramp shot to release them. Plus you can start multiball with one or two balls locked, so there is always the risk/reward decision of do you just try and take the one ball locked and start MB with two, or push your luck and try to lock both balls then try and get to MB for better scoring potential. Rules are super simple and ball times aren't too long so people seem to gravitate to it.

#8 5 years ago

Big House

#11 5 years ago
Quoted from YeOldPinPlayer:

Sorcerer , Centaur , Grand Lizard , Big Guns

Centaur and Big Guns don't have lock stealing?

Quoted from desertT1:

Whirlwind.
One nice thing is that it remembers everyone's progress for locks, so it's not full lock stealing. If player 1 locks 2 balls and then player 2 lights 2 locks, locks those two bals, and then starts the MB, player one gets to relock those first 2 balls, but that's 2 extra shots to make. Plus, it's just a great game in general.

I don't think that's considered lock stealing the same way TNA's is

#12 5 years ago

Nm

#13 5 years ago

Another vote for space shuttle since it's so easy to steal.

I did set someone up with a juicy 2 locker in Elvira this weekend though

#14 5 years ago
#15 5 years ago

Heavy Metal Meltdown is blast for multiplayer games and also has lock stealing.

#16 5 years ago

You can steal the lower playfield locked ball in BH. The top ball will drain with your ball, though.

#17 5 years ago
Quoted from DK:

Space shuttle

+1 for Space Shuttle.

#18 5 years ago

Taxi

#19 5 years ago

Space Shuttle all day!

#20 5 years ago

Doctor Who
Pinbot

#21 5 years ago

Rollergames -- the balls shooting around the "skate track" are a great tease.

#22 5 years ago

Great recommendations so far!

#23 5 years ago

older game but the Williams Scorpion has lock stealing.

#24 5 years ago

Firepower! Love me some Firepower

#25 5 years ago

Sorcerer , Centaur , Grand Lizard , Big Guns

These, and Firepower/Firepower II.

#26 5 years ago

TNA. Feels so good when you do it. Feels so bad when it gets done to you.

#27 5 years ago

Bally Atlantis

#28 5 years ago
Quoted from TractorDoc:

Rollergames -- the balls shooting around the "skate track" are a great tease.

I love stealing someone else’s multiball on my rollergames.

#29 5 years ago

Swords of Fury!

LIONMAN!

#30 5 years ago
#31 5 years ago
lock (resized).jpglock (resized).jpg
#32 5 years ago

There are so many games listed here that are not lock stealing games. Haha

#33 5 years ago

Fathom is my favorite too.

#34 5 years ago

Black Knight 2000
Worse than lock stealing is King’s RANSOM stealing.

#35 5 years ago
Quoted from chuckwurt:

There are so many games listed here that are not lock stealing games. Haha

I consider it a steal when the player who steals doesn’t have to achieve any locks themselves and the player stolen from has to re-lock the balls after they were stolen. If the game tracks the original players lock status or forces the sebsequent player to achieve the lock themselves... not a steal.

#36 5 years ago
Quoted from Mudflaps:

You can steal the lower playfield locked ball in BH. The top ball will drain with your ball, though.

Yep, which is why I always try to lock the ball on the upper playfield first if I am playing against someone.

#37 5 years ago

I use the terms soft lock stealing and hard lock stealing.

Soft lock stealing is when you do not benefit opponents achievements. You need to do all the work yourself. And you do not set them back more than the re-locking necessary.

Hard lock stealing, you are really stealing. However, some games are fun and fine for even serious competitive play despite this. Usually when the multiball is only a 2 ball deal. And where making the lock is easier. But starting multiball is harder.

Taxi is the best one I can think of.

#38 5 years ago

Diner! At least mine does. Not the newest code on mine so not sure if this was changed.

#39 5 years ago

Robowar is a great, rarely seen game with a lock steal similar to Sorcerer. Both awesome pins. Like most of you, the first game that pops into my head when I think of lock stealing is the mighty Space Shuttle.

#40 5 years ago
Quoted from chuckwurt:

There are so many games listed here that are not lock stealing games.

What are they?

#41 5 years ago

Party animal

#42 5 years ago

Like someone said, if the game doesnt require you to relight your locks, I do not consider that lock stealing. F2K and firepower are the top dogs in that respect.

Edit: Big Guns and Centaur too. I will need explanations on those two. Don't think I have ever stolen a MB from an opponent on those games. Maybe that is the disconnect. Are there lock stealing games and multiball stealing games?

Take Fire! I consider that lock stealing. I lock two balls, drain. You play and pick up right where I left off and get to multiball in two shots.

In firepower, yes, if you get to multiball after I lock some balls, fine, but you have to qualify and earn your locks like normal. Then when I get back up, I just need to relock my balls. I do not need to hit any targets or anything. In Fire, I have to do it ALL over again.

#43 5 years ago
Quoted from chuckwurt:

Edit: Big Guns and Centaur too. I will need explanations on those two.

I played Big Guns Tuesday and player two stole a locked ball from me. I had to lock again after player three put up 3.5 million on ball one.

Haven't played Centaur in a while. I think I misremembered and it doesn't offer lock stealing.

#44 5 years ago

I played Big Guns Tuesday and player two stole a locked ball from me. I had to lock again after player three put up 3.5 million on ball one.

You had to lock balls again, but so did player two. That’s my point. The balls were cleared when they started their MB, but their path to MB was no shorter than yours.

I don’t consider that lock stealing.

#45 5 years ago

Grinded down to semantics; as usual.

#46 5 years ago
Quoted from chuckwurt:

You had to lock balls again, but so did player two. That’s my point. The balls were cleared when they started their MB, but their path to MB was no shorter than yours.

Are you thinking Big Guns empties the locks at the end of every ball? That's not how the one we play works.

#47 5 years ago

Are you thinking Big Guns empties the locks at the end of every ball? That's not how the one we play works.

No what I’m saying is it behaves like firepower. There are only 3 balls in the game. The game remembers that you locked the balls and not him. He has to lock his balls while yours are locked, then shoot up the center. He didn’t get credit for the locks you got.

When he shoots one of the lock shots, the game doesn’t feed him another ball to the shooter lane. It gives him one of your locked balls so that he can keep playing. Then he needs to shoot the other lock. Then the game gives him your other locked ball. Then he shoots the center.

So this game is more of a stolen balls game.

Now on TNA or fire, they get your locks and only have to shoot the shots you didn’t shoot to get to Multiball. So when they step up and you have locked two balls, all they need to do is hit the shot that starts multiball. Your locks were stolen.

#48 5 years ago

Space Shuttle is a great recommendation. Jokerz! is another easy ruleset game with a fast ball steal available. Can still be gotten reasonably priced as well.

#49 5 years ago

On Diner, my daughter stole my lock without qualifying for her own lock. That's as bad as it gets.

#50 5 years ago
Quoted from twenty84:

Heavy Metal Meltdown is blast for multiplayer games and also has lock stealing.

Absolutely love my HMM its a blast

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Machine - For Sale
Castro Valley, CA
$ 29.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC

$ 120.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 49.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

$ 110.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 95.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Pinball Mod Co.

10,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
North Myrtle Beach, SC
$ 79.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pixels Arcade Games

9,500 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
St. Louis, MO
$ 43.95
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Nerd Decals

$ 25.50
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 20.00
Cabinet - Other
Apron Envy

$ 10.00
Cabinet - Other
ScottieIA Mods

8,750 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Belington, WV
$ 29.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Life

Flipper Parts
Precision Pinball prod.

$ 30.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 259.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 11.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 169.95
Lighting - Other
Hookedonpinball.com

$ 64.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pixels Arcade Games

There are 64 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/best-multiplayer-game-with-lock-stealing?hl=frippertron and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.