DSC09390 (resized).JPG
DSC09379 (resized).JPG
DSC09369 (resized).JPG
IMG_0627 (resized).JPG
Hot shot topper 3.JPG
Image 47.jpg
Image 1.jpg
airaces 005.jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider StevenP.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#32 9 years ago

Gonna toss in a vote here for Mars Trek. For some reason it is incredibly addictive, an opinion shared by many friends.

#54 9 years ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

I like mars trek but there's not enough going on to put it to the level of Surf Champ or Spirit of '76.
It's a standard "try to get ball to top to build bonus" game. Also not a fan of the oddball Extra Ball rules - reminds me of a lot of 70s Bally games.
Harry Williams first rule was never offer a reward to a player and then take it away. I hate when a multiplayer game lights extra ball and then it just disappears cause you advanced the bonus again.

Surf Champ is great, admittedly. But there's only one EB rule in MT, and it's a good one: The EB lane lights exactly at 50k bonus. Despite HW's rule, this feature works incredibly well within the game. Why? Because all of a sudden, when you light the EB, you're trying to *avoid* any bonus-adding shots (incl. inlanes and upper orbit/saucer/lanes). And, the EB shot is a tight horseshoe through the spinners around a bonus collect saucer. Hard shot to make, and a miss could collect the bonus and unlight the EB, forcing you to build it back up to 50k to relight. (This collect bonus shot can be a positive strategy too, as a way of relighting the EB if the bonus goes over 50k.)

As a further rule nuance, lighting E-K lights double bonus (which maxes at 100k). But, if you hit the collect saucer it only scores single bonus. So scoring the bonus saucer to relight the EB (OR to allow further bonus score on the same ball if you're maxed out at 100k) may risk losing some double bonus if you don't build it back to make up for the 'lost' doubled bonus.

I think the strategic options of Mars Trek (along with the asymmetry of the layout) makes it a better, more challenging game. It's not just a "build the bonus up" game where you just try to max things out. You can take something away (EB light, doubled bonus), either accidentally or on purpose, with the chance to regain it. Surf Champ is a fun game, but its strategy is relatively simplistic.

1 week later
#80 9 years ago
Quoted from dgpinball:

Only problem with Pleasure Isle is I don't like the artwork near as much, real shame as I generally prefer AAB's if I have a choice. Most Replay/AAB games have the same artwork, just colors changed or reversed, wonder why they went with different on this pair??

Different artwork is not a factor for me. It's all about the gameplay! Never played a Paradise/Pleasure Isle but it looks pretty cool.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

$ 99.00
Playfield - Plastics
Starcade Amusement

$ 109.00
Playfield - Plastics
Starcade Amusement

Machine - For Sale
Alpine, CALIFORNIA
$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

$ 29.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC

$ 50.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Slipstream Mod Shop

$ 25.00
Various Other Swag
JK Pinball

$ 15.00
Lighting
Space Coast Pinball

Trade
Machine - For Trade
Nashua, NH
6,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Scottsdale, AZ
$ 10.00
Cabinet - Other
UpKick Pinball

$ 12.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
UpKick Pinball

$ 10.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

$ 65.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC

$ 20.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 100.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

$ 29.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC

$ 55.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC

Playfield - Plastics
UpKick Pinball

$ 179.00
Cabinet - Other
Pinball Pimp

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Placerville, CA
Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 119.00
Playfield - Plastics
Starcade Amusement

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider StevenP.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/best-multiplayer-em?tu=StevenP and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.