(Topic ID: 328063)

Best multiball\best multiball that "evolve"

By DodgeThatOne

1 year ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

#1 1 year ago

Hi fellow Pinsiders,

Just played a few games of Sega Mary Shelleys Frankenstein and was wondering what are the best games that has a multiball that can be changed\transformed while playing.

To be more precise, not simply a multiiball where you can simply statically add a ball (like by example speed golf in NGG by hitting the captive ball) but a multiball that like on MSF goes to different animations on the screen and seems to be a totally different experience.

On MSF you start with the simple two balls creature multiball that can be transformed into the 666 multi ball by hitting the North Pole and the Geneva shots: the machine then shout 666, the DMD goes crazy and the tempo goes up quite a notch. It is simply not the same game\multiball or at least does not feel like it: those shots feel like an achievement.

It is quite possible that I have not tried enough different games of that era (or even newer games) but I would like to know about other pinball machines that have similar modes\multiball(s).

Cheers,

Chris

#2 1 year ago

Data East did that a few times, Last Action Hero is one I've had that did it, I think Data East Jurassic Park does, probably others I can't think of right now.

Someone who's a Data East/Sega expert might be able to chime in with more. I can't think of any Williams or Stern games that do it.

#3 1 year ago
    Quoted from WaddleJrJr:

Data East did that a few times, Last Action Hero is one I've had that did it, I think Data East Jurassic Park does, probably others I can't think of right now.
    Someone who's a Data East/Sega expert might be able to chime in with more. I can't think of any Williams or Stern games that do it.

Another DE where it feels like a real MB progression IMO would be Tales from the Crypt. After completing the left ramp for the first jackpot, and then the right ramp for the second jackpot, the animations on the DMD, firing up the chainsaw, getting chasing down by undead, and then slicing the head in two has to be one of my all time favourites.. but this goes further when you go for monster jackpot, where the tomb target rises, and you need to hit it five times, each hit gives you an add-a-ball, if you are able to complete it (spelling c-r-y-p-t), then you need to land a ball inside the tomb for the monster jackpot, where you see some straws slurping away some cranial juices as your victory on a monster collect. The monster is what feels like that evolution.. just such a great additional rule that is quite challenging.

----------

#4 1 year ago

One of my favorite features!

Tommy too. Seemed to be a DE thing.

Raptor mb in Sterns JP also does, since it's a throwback to the DE one

A lot of games now have victory laps which isn't quite the same thing but it's at least a second stage that you can reach and some have bee choreography

#6 1 year ago

Medieval Madness has Multiball Madness which changes pretty significantly depending on how many of the games other tasks you've completed. 2-4 balls, increased scoring, more Super Jackpots, the potential for Trolls, and lots of different callouts.

#8 1 year ago
    Quoted from astro_judge:

Medieval Madness has Multiball Madness which changes pretty significantly depending on how many of the games other tasks you've completed. 2-4 balls, increased scoring, more Super Jackpots, the potential for Trolls, and lots of different callouts.

Yeah, I was thinking about MM, not sure if I am misremembering, but I thought you could add-on trolls madness as well completing it during the main madness you started? Definitely fun to try to build it up as much as possible before starting.

#9 1 year ago

Trolls can be brought in during MB for sure. Then when you complete its that’s an add a ball and adds troll madness to the pile.

#10 1 year ago

Besides from Trolls it doesn't really 'evolve' during the multiball though. I'd say the castle multiball is actually closer to this. 5 ramps, then super jackpot, then all shots lit, iirc? at least 3 stages

#11 1 year ago

What about Terror of Mechagodzilla or Gappa Angry? I think those are my favorite MBs of recent years.

#12 1 year ago

Stranger things and the Trap em Demogorgon MB is pretty good too. 3 stages.

#13 1 year ago

Wonka is pretty awesome

#14 1 year ago
    Quoted from DodgeThatOne:

the machine then shout 666

Been awhile since I've had the game, but I believe he shouts, "live, live, live!" (taken from the scene in the film when the creature rises).

As for another multiball that may fit the theme of the thread, the Judge Dredd super game starts with a 3 ball multiball that evolves into 6 ball multiball once the drops are complete, which starts a 100M point jackpot objective. Certainly not as neat as MSF though.

#15 1 year ago

Not a popular opinion but I hate stacking, which I think is easy and very lazy code - just bring an active mode into another one. A great sense of achievement for sure, if you're chasing points, but a confusing mess for everyone else.

I've 'evolved' this basic and over-used pinball rule into something more fun, which I call 'Power of Attack'. But you'd have to play my latest Avatar remake to experience it.

Pinball code has stagnated over the past decade, as the old timers recycle their own best ideas. But it doesn't have to be like that. Fresh young minds can unlock pinball's full potential.

#16 1 year ago
    Quoted from SLAMT1LT:

Not a popular opinion but I hate stacking, which I think is easy and very lazy code - just bring an active mode into another one. A great sense of achievement for sure, if you're chasing points, but a confusing mess for everyone else.
    I've 'evolved' this basic and over-used pinball rule into something more fun, which I call 'Power of Attack'. But you'd have to play my latest Avatar remake to experience it.
    Pinball code has stagnated over the past decade, as the old timers recycle their own best ideas. But it doesn't have to be like that. Fresh young minds can unlock pinball's full potential.

Curious about the general idea? I mean, we already have the strategic multiball build up idea in madness. We have titles where the points are in seting up modes or starting modes prior to Mb. We have ongoing Mb rules.. Aab, incrementing jackpots etc. Evolving rules for Mb which is what this op is.

#17 1 year ago
    Quoted from SLAMT1LT:

Stacking modes is practically part of the vocabulary of pinball, at this point -- more of a tool of design rather than the design itself. Always easier to call something "lazy" or "simple" instead of acknowledging what it brings to the bigger picture. Iron Maiden is a great example
    example of a game where not every mode is conducive to stacking with every multiball, but players can discover synergies as they improve. This kind of personal discovery is GOOD.

It's hard for me to believe that a decade with Rush, Metallica, B66, Wonka, Dialed In, and all 4 Elwin games could be considered stagnant, but different stacks for different quacks, I guess.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/best-multiballbest-multiball-that-evolve and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.