Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

2016-10-08 15.00.37 (resized).jpg
image_(resized).jpeg
image_(resized).jpeg
IMG_3169.jpg
2012-09-23_12.01.16.jpg
#1 10 years ago

I completed my quest for a HUO LOTR this weekend. This is truly an exceptional Stern game. I got my first pin 4 months ago and have 3 of my 5 most wanted. This hobby is not for the feint of heart. Man there are some interesting folks in this hobby. Patience and timing are critical. Oh and multiple dissapointments along the way are all apart of the process. But man when you find a deal on a game you have been looking for...it's soooooooo gooood.

Are there any mods or adjustments to be made? I know there are tons of old posts, but they are scattered and curious if there is anything new. I've lurked and have learned tons from this site. Appreciate all the banter and feedback.

#2 10 years ago

The ring shooter rod,or sword,Mckee topper,pinball decals for targets,Cliffy's for the hole protectors.
Led's ,if you like them.

Welcome to pinside

#3 10 years ago

I got the backbox board with LED set along with multiple flashers (can't remember who sold the kit; it's been a while). It makes the translite look the way it should. The bank of red LED flashers behind the eye are especially effective.

#4 10 years ago

This LoTR Palantir mod is new and I have just received and installed mine; IMO well worth the money compared to many mods:
http://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/lotr-projected-eye-palantir-mod

I would prioritize better speakers and the shaker motor as well!

#5 10 years ago
Quoted from BC_Gambit:

This LoTR Palantir mod is new and I have just received and installed mine; IMO well worth the money compared to many mods:
http://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/lotr-projected-eye-palantir-mod
I would prioritize better speakers and the shaker motor as well!

better speakers is the go

#6 10 years ago

Jays Palantir mod (as mentioned above) ^^^
Hemi's POTD mod (still waiting on mine Hemi )
arcadeupkeep.com backbox mod
Adding your own Gimli, Legolas and Boramir - why these were never included is beyond me! (search ebay AoME) - also a couple of extra Ringwraiths never hurt!
I also like the black mirror blades I installed on mine.
Also Ryan's habit trail mod is simple and a MUST! http://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/lotr-habitrail-mod
Pinballcustoms is working on a Barad-Dur Eye of Sauron mod......

#7 10 years ago

Oh wow. Thanks everyone. These are great. I'll be contacting these pinsiders today. Hopefully most of these are still available. The good thing is that most the mods are complete but the game has been out so long that most people are not making more. Thanks again

#8 10 years ago

There is a bunch of good stuff (and links to more) in this thread:

http://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/lotr-noob

#9 10 years ago

you only need to do one thing

http://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/stevedaves-lotr-shire-grass

oh and these guys are awesome too..

2012-09-23_12.01.16.jpg2012-09-23_12.01.16.jpg

#10 10 years ago
Quoted from EmptyLogic:

you only need to do one thing
http://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/stevedaves-lotr-shire-grass
oh and these guys are awesome too..

Agh. All sold out of the wood plastic protector. Looks great. I will keep looking for one to do this. Thanks

#11 10 years ago

I have many of what has been mentioned above...but what not has been mentioned are the speaker light kits by Supadave..this is an excellent looking mod.

#12 10 years ago
Quoted from Vyzer2:

I have many of what has been mentioned above...but what not has been mentioned are the speaker light kits by Supadave..this is an excellent looking mod.

Oops forgot about them,I have them also.

#13 10 years ago
Quoted from Vyzer2:

link?

#14 10 years ago

Stick a color changing LED in the Palantier (did I spell it correctly?) aka the see-through ball

I also added green figures on the Path of the Dead (ebay has them, they are AOME figures) and switch to a few green LED's in the bottom area of the playfield to make the Shire artwork look more Shireish.....I never did full LEDs on the game as I liked the way the regular bulbs looked

#15 10 years ago

www.pinballtoppers.com

But if you look for Supadave in the pinside community...there is a long thread on his light kits.

#16 10 years ago

Well, beyond the pretty Barbie dress-up wardrobe items covered above, there are a few things for LOTR that should be done so it PLAYS well.

The post in the top orbit lane (under Orthanc tower) doesn't always catch the ball. You should either tilt the post forward a bit (by adding a washer or 2 under 2 of the bracket screws on the bottom of the pf so the bracket tilts inward) or put a (trimmed) post rubber on the end of the post so it is wider and stops the ball better.

Ball catch area under Barad Dur (top right pf corner, from left orbit shot): remove small post stub and screw, and add a foam square to the underside of the metal overhang--no more bounce-outs!

Sometimes the left ramp entrance (by the potd) isn't smooth--you might need to tighten the nuts holding the ramp down, so the entrance is flush with the pf.

I *highly* recommend a deflector for the potd exit, so the ball rolls smoothly onto the left ramp. There's a clear curved one that mounts to existing posts/screwholes, or (what I did) you an mount an Army of the Dead figure at an exit near the potd exit to deflect the ball smoothly. Museum putty holds the figurine nicely with no permanent alteration. And the game flows muh better with the deflector, no significant effect on scoring...

Make sure potd is level, so ball doesn't tend to go to one side. level the back legs and/or put a washer or 2 under one side where potd goes thru the backwall.

There's a clear deflector for the entrance to the potd (by the vuk) that works well; prevents bouncebacks into the vuk and ball hangs.

Finally, this game benefits greatly from fine-tuning. Adjust the orbit/lane guides, deflectors, etc. so the shots flow smoothly around the pf.

OK, 2 "dress-up" items. A clear crystal/glass Palantir ball (30mm) looks *much* better than the plastic one with the ugly 'worm'! $3 plus shipping from cristalier.com, takes maybe 5 minutes to install... And the translite looks a lot better with a fluorescent filter (orange translucent filter tube). And you an add cooler figurines anywhere you want with that museum putty--removes without a trace.

#17 10 years ago

Well, beyond the pretty Barbie dress-up wardrobe items covered above, there are a few things for LOTR that should be done so it PLAYS well.

The post in the top orbit lane (under Orthanc tower) doesn't always catch the ball. You should either tilt the post forward a bit (by adding a washer or 2 under 2 of the bracket screws on the bottom of the pf so the bracket tilts inward) or put a (trimmed) post rubber on the end of the post so it is wider and stops the ball better.

Ball catch area under Barad Dur (top right pf corner, from left orbit shot): remove small post stub and screw, and add a foam square to the underside of the metal overhang--no more bounce-outs!

Sometimes the left ramp entrance (by the potd) isn't smooth--you might need to tighten the nuts holding the ramp down, so the entrance is flush with the pf.

I *highly* recommend a deflector for the potd exit, so the ball rolls smoothly onto the left ramp. There's a clear curved one that mounts to existing posts/screwholes, or (what I did) you an mount an Army of the Dead figure at an exit near the potd exit to deflect the ball smoothly. Museum putty holds the figurine nicely with no permanent alteration. And the game flows muh better with the deflector, no significant effect on scoring...

Make sure potd is level, so ball doesn't tend to go to one side. level the back legs and/or put a washer or 2 under one side where potd goes thru the backwall.

There's a clear deflector for the entrance to the potd (by the vuk) that works well; prevents bouncebacks into the vuk and ball hangs.

Finally, this game benefits greatly from fine-tuning. Adjust the orbit/lane guides, deflectors, etc. so the shots flow smoothly around the pf.

OK, 2 "dress-up" items. A clear crystal/glass Palantir ball (30mm) looks *much* better than the plastic one with the ugly 'worm'! $3 plus shipping from cristalier.com, takes maybe 5 minutes to install... And the translite looks a lot better with a fluorescent filter (orange translucent filter tube). And you an add cooler figurines anywhere you want with that museum putty--removes without a trace. [OK, 3. 3 dress-up items, and... AMONG the dress-up items are such things as....]

#18 10 years ago

Mirror Blades

IMG_3169.jpgIMG_3169.jpg

#19 10 years ago

Well crap. My great HUO find with no mods that I thought was just going to get a few mods is about to get tweaked and loaded up. Thanks for all the feedback. I will take a few pics before I pull the glass and get started on some of the recommendations. I think I had to go to about 4 different online shops to find some of this, but it's a great game and these mods and adjustments sound worth it. Thanks again and welcome more input if you got it!

#20 10 years ago

Best mod for a LOTR is a TSPP

#21 10 years ago
Quoted from Dnt00s:

Well crap. My great HUO find with no mods that I thought was just going to get a few mods is about to get tweaked and loaded up. Thanks for all the feedback. I will take a few pics before I pull the glass and get started on some of the recommendations. I think I had to go to about 4 different online shops to find some of this, but it's a great game and these mods and adjustments sound worth it. Thanks again and welcome more input if you got it!

While I certainly think there are plenty of worthwhile mods for LOTR, I also think they can be overdone. I remember someone on here had one that they bought and then removed tons of the mods. From the pictures they posted, there was so much crap on the game it looked like a dumpster was unloaded on it. But to each his own.

#22 10 years ago

And there is always these...http://www.pinballlife.com/index.php?p=product&id=2917

2 years later
1 month later
#24 8 years ago

Bump for this. My friend just purchased the LE. She has all of the figurines on there with the shaker motor. What do you all suggest that is available right now?

1 week later
#26 8 years ago

I sell Gandalf with the lit staff or just the stock staff lit if she already has gandalf

image_(resized).jpegimage_(resized).jpeg

image_(resized).jpegimage_(resized).jpeg

1 year later
#27 6 years ago
Quoted from Hdmike444:

I sell Gandalf with the lit staff or just the stock staff lit if she already has gandalf

do you still sell the staffs ?

#28 6 years ago

Yes I think I have a few left , I’ll check
Pm if your interested

#29 6 years ago

I’m out of staffs right now all I have is the full Gandalf but should be getting more in a few weeks

#30 6 years ago

Best Mod. ColorDMD.

Period.

#31 6 years ago

El-Wire Balrog whips. I sell them. PM me if interested...

2016-10-08 15.00.37 (resized).jpg2016-10-08 15.00.37 (resized).jpg

#32 6 years ago

I have three staffs ready to ship, $40 shipped pm for details

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
WilliPinball Mods

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

$ 259.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 45.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Machine - For Sale
Anderson, SC
$ 5.00
Cabinet - Other
Pinball Fuzz

9,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Ronkonkoma, NY
10,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Deer Park, NY
€ 7.50
10,400 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Juneau, WI
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PinWorlds

Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 130.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Dijohn

$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

$ 99.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 120.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 12.00
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Haus

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
RGP Models

$ 41.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 8.99
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 79.95
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
Pinball Life

$ 19.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 29.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC

$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

$ 49.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/best-mods-for-lotr and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.