• TNA 36 votes
    64%
  • Beatles 16 votes
    29%
  • Black Knight Premium/LE 4 votes
    7%

(56 votes)

#1 1 year ago

I thought this would be an interesting poll. Which recent game that was heavily influenced by the solid state era is the best?

#2 1 year ago

Good question after you eliminate BKsor.

#3 1 year ago

Honestly the Beatles layout reminds me more of an EM than SS. As I've stated in other threads, to me, TNA feels like an SS made with modern tech (I guess that's technically all modern pins haha, but I'm referring more to the layout and feel). I'm personally not a fan of having loads of plastic toys in a game. I think TNA's use of existing ubiquitous parts to make their "toys" (danesi lock, drop target grid, reaction chamber (maybe these aren't toys per se, hence the quotes)) is clever, good engineering, and they're relatively novel. Granted, I'm probably biased because I'm not a huge beatles fan, and I have played maybe 5 games ever on black knight, whereas I've played probably 20 on a physical TNA, and probably close to 100 on virtual TNA.

Edit: Oops... poking at the UI, I may have voted twice :/

#4 1 year ago

I hard to judge, but I'd probably go TNA because it does seem like it's own thing, whilst Beatles is just fixing an old layout.

#5 1 year ago

Aren't we still in the solid state era?

#6 1 year ago

TNA all day.

#7 1 year ago

BK3 is a solid state design?

#8 1 year ago
Quoted from Hazoff:

BK3 is a solid state design?

I wouldn't say so.

#9 1 year ago
Quoted from TheLaw:

I wouldn't say so.

I was on the fence about adding it. I figured it was pretty loyal to the original in design. The code is set up differently than an early solid state, but figured I’d include it for kicks.

#10 1 year ago

Breakshot isn’t on here, it blows away these imo

#11 1 year ago
Quoted from Isochronic_Frost:

Breakshot isn’t on here, it blows away these imo

Breakshot is cool and all, but I'm guessing by 'modern' he meant at least made in the last 20 years, especially since he said 'recent game' in the first post.

#12 1 year ago

I like the Beatles layout and rules more than TNA, but TNA has so much style.

#13 1 year ago

Layout goes to Beatles easily. Total package goes to TNA easily.

#14 1 year ago

I would say Rick and Morty.
Follow me on this for a second.

Magna save = Black Knight 2000

Garage to portal instant ball return = Spectrum

Pop bumper sling shot = Andromeda and a couple others.

Mostly a one level game with a couple ramps. Just really good shots.
I suppose the horseshoe mech could be inspired slightly by Swords of Fury with Scott’s own take on it.

It’s pretty much a mashup of a bunch of really rad features from 80s solid states all wrapped up into one burrito.
You can see the designers passion for the 80s solid state era translated to a modern game with this pin (at least that’s how I see it).

#15 1 year ago
Quoted from TreyBo69:

I like the Beatles layout and rules more than TNA, but TNA has so much style.

I’ve got both and that’s exactly my take on the two.

#16 1 year ago

For me, it’s easily TNA. It’s the total package in my opinion. It’s definitely a nod to the early state era, but a nod with an attitude. It also has an intangible that I can’t put by finger on, but it makes me want to play it over and over. Plus, when the soundtrack kicks in there is nothing like it.

#17 1 year ago

Gotta say I like em and early ss pins. I dont like much DMD or modern day pins with the exception of TNA. It is a modern take on an early ss and Its awesome.

2 months later
#18 11 months ago
Quoted from chuckwurt:

Layout goes to Beatles easily. Total package goes to TNA easily.

Both great games, but I find that TNA feels more repetitive as you rinse and repeat each level as you progress. Beatles' rule set avoids that feeling. (Plus you have the ability to switch out the songs.)

The change of objectives with the different songs, the challenging mb jackpots, the strategy of collecting or increasing value, and the evasive extra ball, all keep you immersed as you progress further during a good ball. It really avoids the feeling of repetition. You have constantly changing strategic decisions as you go (advance another song, focus on missing banks for EB, collect current JP, max song values, etc.).

Both TNA and Beatles are great as competitive multiplayers, but I give the edge to Beatles. And I'm not even factoring in the satisfying upper loop shot.

#19 11 months ago
Quoted from RTS:

Both great games, but I find that TNA feels more repetitive as you rinse and repeat each level as you progress.

Kinda like...an early Solid State.

#20 11 months ago
Quoted from Coindork:

I would say Rick and Morty.
Follow me on this for a second.
Magna save = Black Knight 2000
Garage to portal instant ball return = Spectrum
Pop bumper sling shot = Andromeda and a couple others.
Mostly a one level game with a couple ramps. Just really good shots.
I suppose the horseshoe mech could be inspired slightly by Swords of Fury with Scott’s own take on it.
It’s pretty much a mashup of a bunch of really rad features from 80s solid states all wrapped up into one burrito.
You can see the designers passion for the 80s solid state era translated to a modern game with this pin (at least that’s how I see it).

I agree 100% with this. This game is basically street level (the ramps are just there) and the layout screams early 80s.

#21 11 months ago
Quoted from guitarded:

Kinda like...an early Solid State.

Kinda like it, but not. It's substantially better.

The screaming clear audio, and the blindingly bright lights, the music, the sensory feedback, and the asset versatility transports the player well beyond the 80's, deep into 2020's.

It takes early solid states to the next level.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside