New! Dark mode!

Browsing Pinside at night? Getting tired of all the white? Switch to dark mode using the button in the top right (or CTRL-B)!

(Topic ID: 277414)

Best Modern Take on an Early Solid State Design

By Mizzou0103

44 days ago

Topic Stats

• 17 posts
  • 13 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 44 days ago by kimbleseven
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Topic poll

“Best Modernized Early Solid State”

• TNA 30 votes
    65%
  • Beatles 13 votes
    28%
  • Black Knight Premium/LE 3 votes
    7%

(46 votes)

#1 44 days ago

I thought this would be an interesting poll. Which recent game that was heavily influenced by the solid state era is the best?

#2 44 days ago

Good question after you eliminate BKsor.

#3 44 days ago

Honestly the Beatles layout reminds me more of an EM than SS. As I've stated in other threads, to me, TNA feels like an SS made with modern tech (I guess that's technically all modern pins haha, but I'm referring more to the layout and feel). I'm personally not a fan of having loads of plastic toys in a game. I think TNA's use of existing ubiquitous parts to make their "toys" (danesi lock, drop target grid, reaction chamber (maybe these aren't toys per se, hence the quotes)) is clever, good engineering, and they're relatively novel. Granted, I'm probably biased because I'm not a huge beatles fan, and I have played maybe 5 games ever on black knight, whereas I've played probably 20 on a physical TNA, and probably close to 100 on virtual TNA.

Edit: Oops... poking at the UI, I may have voted twice :/

#4 44 days ago

I hard to judge, but I'd probably go TNA because it does seem like it's own thing, whilst Beatles is just fixing an old layout.

#5 44 days ago

Aren't we still in the solid state era?

#6 44 days ago

TNA all day.

#7 44 days ago

BK3 is a solid state design?

#8 44 days ago
Quoted from Hazoff:

BK3 is a solid state design?

I wouldn't say so.

#9 44 days ago
Quoted from TheLaw:

I wouldn't say so.

I was on the fence about adding it. I figured it was pretty loyal to the original in design. The code is set up differently than an early solid state, but figured I’d include it for kicks.

#10 44 days ago

Breakshot isn’t on here, it blows away these imo

#11 44 days ago
Quoted from Isochronic_Frost:

Breakshot isn’t on here, it blows away these imo

Breakshot is cool and all, but I'm guessing by 'modern' he meant at least made in the last 20 years, especially since he said 'recent game' in the first post.

#12 44 days ago

I like the Beatles layout and rules more than TNA, but TNA has so much style.

#13 44 days ago

Layout goes to Beatles easily. Total package goes to TNA easily.

#14 44 days ago

I would say Rick and Morty.
Follow me on this for a second.

Magna save = Black Knight 2000

Garage to portal instant ball return = Spectrum

Pop bumper sling shot = Andromeda and a couple others.

Mostly a one level game with a couple ramps. Just really good shots.
I suppose the horseshoe mech could be inspired slightly by Swords of Fury with Scott’s own take on it.

It’s pretty much a mashup of a bunch of really rad features from 80s solid states all wrapped up into one burrito.
You can see the designers passion for the 80s solid state era translated to a modern game with this pin (at least that’s how I see it).

#15 44 days ago
Quoted from TreyBo69:

I like the Beatles layout and rules more than TNA, but TNA has so much style.

I’ve got both and that’s exactly my take on the two.

#16 44 days ago

For me, it’s easily TNA. It’s the total package in my opinion. It’s definitely a nod to the early state era, but a nod with an attitude. It also has an intangible that I can’t put by finger on, but it makes me want to play it over and over. Plus, when the soundtrack kicks in there is nothing like it.

#17 44 days ago

Gotta say I like em and early ss pins. I dont like much DMD or modern day pins with the exception of TNA. It is a modern take on an early ss and Its awesome.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
Trade
Sale Pending!
Harrisburg, PA

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside