Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 48 posts
  • 31 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 3 years ago by Coindork
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic poll

“Best LCD Stern For Kids”

• Jurassic Park 18 votes
      21%
    • Deadpool 13 votes
      15%
    • Avengers Infinity Quest 3 votes
      3%
    • Black Knight, Sword of Rage 1 vote
      1%
    • Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles 26 votes
      30%
    • Guardians of the Galaxy 8 votes
      9%
    • Star Wars 15 votes
      17%
    • Batman 66 2 votes
      2%

(86 votes)

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

20210301_184838 (resized).jpg
    20210215_143158 (resized).jpg

#1 3 years ago

I am looking at the possibility of rotating a Stern Pro or Premium through my basement again soon. My kids have started to get more into the pins in the basement arcade, and are gravitating towards the LCD pins... and Asteroids of all things. My youngest (4) likes BK because he can understand it, but my older ones (7 ad 9) are gravitating towards Rick and Morty and TNA, which are not exactly good for kids. They liked Jurassic Park when I rotated it through last year, and like the Star Wars pin and Deadpool on location. I’m leaning towards Star Wars, but wanted to know what other pins might be a good fit. I have other pins and am limiting this question to just games with an LCD games.
    20210215_143158 (resized).jpg20210215_143158 (resized).jpg

#2 3 years ago

Kids tend to have problems viewing and hitting upper flipper shots because of their viewing angle. Also Deadpool has the dropped flippers and a few tight shots.

From your list I’d choose BK, SW, or GOTG. SW if they can learn the multiplier rules, BK if not. GOTG may be the theme they click with the most and is easy to learn, but I personally think the code is so uninspired that I could never own it.

#3 3 years ago

What about guardians of the galaxy? I would think easier, open shots would be better, or perceived as such so they can hit more things. Stranger things maybe, I haven’t played since day 1 release but I hear the code updates have really made the game a good one to play

#4 3 years ago

I will look into Guardians some more. Stranger things is too scary for little kids though.

#5 3 years ago

Potc Stern is great for all ages.

SW might be too hard for them but has the added code to allow more than one ball save. That’s a great feature because it can drain on auto launch. Also SW has button mashing tie fighter and video mode asteroids.

#6 3 years ago

My kids (4-6) monster bash and Iron man. My son loves Iron man, the girls are crazy for monster bash. I made a comment about selling monster bash and had to mop up a river of tears.... yea.

#7 3 years ago

I had a bksor pro and my kids loved it, upgraded to a premium and now they want nothing to do with it... I’d avoid upper playfields/ lower playfields. They don’t seem to like anything w/ more than 2 flippers.

#8 3 years ago

Let them play the games, and they’ll tell you which ones they like. Their choice may surprise you.

Contact your local distributor and see if they have games set up at a show room that you and your kids can spend some time in.

#9 3 years ago

Have you thought about Iron Man? They would probably enjoy the theme and Iron Monger is a cool bash toy that's pretty easy to activate.

#10 3 years ago

I would do turtles

Yes it’s “brutal” but all games are

Turn up the ball save/etc

They will love the theme and can play coop with you

#11 3 years ago

My Nephew is 6 and his favorite Stern LCD is Jurassic Park, he loves dinosaurs. I had a couple of JJP games which have LCD as well and he loves and still does Dialed In. When I ask why he likes it he says all the stuff that is going on and he points out the disasters going on when he is playing. Oddly he and my niece ( she is 8 ) didn't care for any of the other JJP games I had (Hobbit and WOZ) they thought they were boring and kind of slow, go figure. I had a Star Wars which neither really cared for but both like Avengers Infinity Quest. They like the the way it looks better, the cartoon look as opposed to the real people look as my Niece told me. On the rest of your list I can't really comment on them from a kids point since they haven't played them, but guessing if the game is more cartoon like, those would be the ones they would lean towards. Also they don't really care too much about the Screen they love Attack From Mars and Medieval madness.

Both of them really like the bowler I got too and old school video games from the 80's.

Good Luck! The nice thing is the games your looking at in your list are easy movers if they don't care for them.

#12 3 years ago

While this isn't an LCD game, it seems like my kids and other kids gravitate towards ACDC Premium when they are playing pinball. Even ahead of LCD games like Jurassic Park Premium. I think something about the bright red colors and lights draws them in and the layout and the abundance of toys and a layout that is pretty shot friendly adds to their enjoyment. They love firing the cannon and hitting the bell, and think that the train is pretty cool. they know to pick the "HAABPTB" song at start so that they can play the lower playfield. They also love singing along to the song "TNT". I know it seems like an unlikely choice, but the game is like a magnet for younger kids. my kids are between the ages of 7 and 1.

#13 3 years ago

From your list: Turtles.

My kids love Tron.
    I know it's not easy to land one, especially with the ramp lights, but that is the game my kids play most by far.

#14 3 years ago

Not sure my kids really care about best LCD theme to be honest. My daughter only plays when she has friends over and usually only plays a game or two before going back to play with slime and fidget toys. My son will play if someone is with him and encouraging him to play. I could never see my kids just turning on a machine by themselves to enjoy a game by themselves.(maybe someday?) I quit caring about what game the "family" might like and started focusing on what themes/games I like instead. As much as I want it to be a family hobby-it is not. My best purchase for the kids was a Game Gate multi-arcade mame machine with pretty much every arcade game ever made on it. The kids play it almost daily, and if not the multi-cade they play Nintendo Switch. Just bought the Mario race wheel set up and the kids are enjoying it tremendously.

#15 3 years ago

I don't know anything about them. But this spot seems to be closest to the MD area:

https://www.agsarcadegamesales.com/contactus.html

Wishing you and your kids happy hunting!

#16 3 years ago
    Quoted from Caucasian2Step:

I don't know anything about them. But this spot seems to be closest to the MD area:
    https://www.agsarcadegamesales.com/contactus.html
    Wishing you and your kids happy hunting!

Thanks! I rotate pins alot so will be going the used pinside pin route on a trade when I'm ready.

#17 3 years ago
    Quoted from Yoko2una:

Kids tend to have problems viewing and hitting upper flipper shots because of their viewing angle. Also Deadpool has the dropped flippers and a few tight shots.
    From your list I’d choose BK, SW, or GOTG. SW if they can learn the multiplier rules, BK if not. GOTG may be the theme they click with the most and is easy to learn, but I personally think the code is so uninspired that I could never own it.

no kid wants to hear the blaring music and call outs from BK. Thats a game designed towards an older man

#18 3 years ago

Add Munster's Pro to your poll. Easy play, fan layout, easy code and very rewarding.

Edit: Great Family Theme.

#19 3 years ago
    Quoted from tilted81:

My kids (4-6) monster bash and Iron man. My son loves Iron man, the girls are crazy for monster bash. I made a comment about selling monster bash and had to mop up a river of tears.... yea.

Quoted from jsandjs:

My Nephew is 6 and his favorite Stern LCD is Jurassic Park, he loves dinosaurs. I had a couple of JJP games which have LCD as well and he loves and still does Dialed In. When I ask why he likes it he says all the stuff that is going on and he points out the disasters going on when he is playing. Oddly he and my niece ( she is 8 ) didn't care for any of the other JJP games I had (Hobbit and WOZ) they thought they were boring and kind of slow, go figure. I had a Star Wars which neither really cared for but both like Avengers Infinity Quest. They like the the way it looks better, the cartoon look as opposed to the real people look as my Niece told me. On the rest of your list I can't really comment on them from a kids point since they haven't played them, but guessing if the game is more cartoon like, those would be the ones they would lean towards. Also they don't really care too much about the Screen they love Attack From Mars and Medieval madness.
    Both of them really like the bowler I got too and old school video games from the 80's.
    Good Luck! The nice thing is the games your looking at in your list are easy movers if they don't care for them.

Father of 3 here:

JP and TMNT are the easy choices out of those listed due to themes, callouts, and gameplay. They both offer some deeper, more challenging aspects for the grownups too.

MB should really be a consideration as well. It has easier to understand rules that can hook kids (and adults), but the game is just tons of fun. It has stood the test of time for good reason.

#20 3 years ago
    Quoted from mjsbowl:Add Munster's Pro to your poll. Easy play, fan layout, easy code and very rewarding.
    Edit: Great Family Theme.

Ya munsters is a great basic easy fun layout, theme, and if you actually know the rules you can really blow it up. Used market is pretty good value wise.

#21 3 years ago

4-10 years olds could care less about how it shoots or what the code is like.

I can guarantee what you like in a pin they will not and theme is important to kids. Less is more to them or it won’t be fun.

Give them a list and let them decide and be part of the process if it’s really for them.

#22 3 years ago

Does it have to be a Stern? My 9 year old daughter is obsessed with Wonka, although there are multiple flippers. She plays at least once a day and is the Grand Champion of our house. Her high score is 12million plus. We also have Stranger Things and she enjoys that,but nowhere near as much as Wonka. Getting your picture taken at the end is huge for her and she loves that her photos are all over the attract mode.

#23 3 years ago
    Quoted from Psw757:

4-10 years olds could care less about how it shoots or what the code is like.
    I can guarantee what you like in a pin they will not and theme is important to kids. Less is more to them or it won’t be fun.
    Give them a list and let them decide and be part of the process if it’s really for them.

Yeah... I think I'm going to show them some videos tonight.

I am learning alot from this discussion. I agree that theme is huge to kids. After observing how they play over the last few days and thinking about it, I'm leaning heavily toward 2 flipper games. I also find it interesting how low AIQ, a seemingly cartoony game fairs on the list. I would have though BK SOR would have rated higher with the bash toy and simpler rules as well. Ironman seems to be consistent in here as well, as is Monster Bash.

Of the pins that I've rotated through the basement, World Cup Soccer and Jurassic Park have been the biggest winners with the kids. I have no illusions that I will do 90% of the play time on whatever comes in, but do like the idea of the kids enjoying it too. The kids playing 10% of the games on it means just as much to me as me getting to play 90% of them. I will see what shows up on the trading block in a few weeks and go from there.

#24 3 years ago

Turtles would let them do all sorts of co-op, having everyone be on the same Turtle team would probably be a rush for kids.

#25 3 years ago
    Quoted from m00nmuppet:

Turtles would let them do all sorts of co-op, having everyone be on the same Turtle team would probably be a rush for kids.

Never thought of that... I should show them that feature on our TNA... TNA is pretty brutal though.

#26 3 years ago
    Quoted from SantaEatsCheese:

Yeah... I think I'm going to show them some videos tonight.
    I am learning alot from this discussion. I agree that theme is huge to kids. After observing how they play over the last few days and thinking about it, I'm leaning heavily toward 2 flipper games. I also find it interesting how low AIQ, a seemingly cartoony game fairs on the list. I would have though BK SOR would have rated higher with the bash toy and simpler rules as well. Ironman seems to be consistent in here as well, as is Monster Bash.
    Of the pins that I've rotated through the basement, World Cup Soccer and Jurassic Park have been the biggest winners with the kids. I have no illusions that I will do 90% of the play time on whatever comes in, but do like the idea of the kids enjoying it too. The kids playing 10% of the games on it means just as much to me as me getting to play 90% of them. I will see what shows up on the trading block in a few weeks and go from there.

I know it was already mentioned but the Stern Pirates is a great kids game and was on location at just about every Chuck E Cheese location.

It was the first pin I bought, my kids loved it and has one of the best bash toys in pinball. Throw a color dmd in one of it doesn’t already have it.

Other than Star Wars which is a tough game but great theme for kids, I would take POTC before any of them on the list for the little ones.

Edit - Star Wars home pin although not a collectors pin, for kids it is a heck of a lot more approachable than the regular Star Wars pin. For 4-10 might be too fast and complex for them to really get into.

#27 3 years ago

I know you said Stern, but I would recommend Hot Wheels. I think that would be great for younger kids. My teenage kids love it. Also, if in your price range, consider P3 multimorphic. Heist and Cosmic Cart are great games for kids and adults. Mini game ROCs and Barnyard are great for kids and add variety without swapping playfields. Plus a new game is only $2500 to add.

#28 3 years ago
    Quoted from Crile1:

I know you said Stern, but I would recommend Hot Wheels. I think that would be great for younger kids. My teenage kids love it. Also, if in your price range, consider P3 multimorphic. Heist and Cosmic Cart are great games for kids and adults. Mini game ROCs and Barnyard are great for kids and add variety without swapping playfields. Plus a new game is only $2500 to add.

Ooooo forgot about hot wheels.

#29 3 years ago
    Quoted from silver_spinner:

no kid wants to hear the blaring music and call outs from BK. Thats a game designed towards an older man

My kid was 10 when BKSoR came out (in the range OP is asking about) and loved it. He loves evil Steve Richie voice, and the main track is awesome.

#30 3 years ago

Ooooo forgot about hot wheels.

It's a great game. Your kids can customize the cars on the playfield with their own.

#31 3 years ago

my granddaughter love JP

#32 3 years ago

I know it's not a Stern but I'm still throwing it here. My kids (7 and 11) are obsessed with Dialed In, I thought they didn't like pinball for a while, it turns out they just didn't have the right pinball.

I think it has to do with the familiar toys, drones, phone and the moving guy probably helps too. The fact that it has 3 screens adds to the kid factor.

#34 3 years ago

I think Munsters is the clear winner here. Perfect for kids if you crank up the ballsave a little.

For a game everybody hates you don't see it for sale much, and I've seen no "bargains."

I know everybody here insists it was a flop but I heard the game continues to be a very good seller for Stern.

#35 3 years ago

Kids love Beatles but it won’t get love here.
    Whatever you choose, lower or turn off ball save over time as skills improve.
    Kids will surprise you. They don’t all love the lcd stuff.

#36 3 years ago
    Quoted from Vino:

Kids love Beatles but it won’t get love here.
    Whatever you choose, lower or turn off ball save over time as skills improve.
    Kids will surprise you. They don’t all love the lcd stuff.

My youngest loves 1980 Black Knight. I've been looking strongly at a Seawitch too, but separate from this discussion.

#37 3 years ago

I've never played it, but kids love themes above actual play. The first one that came my mind is TMNT.

#38 3 years ago

My kids, same age range, love Turtles

#39 3 years ago

Can’t go wrong with dinosaurs. I picked JP. Yes Hot Wheels, Attack from Mars, Stern POTC would be a great choice if choices would be expanded. At least for a LCD they would feel like they are playing a video game in a way. My son at 13 seemed to lose interest in pins after 10.

#40 3 years ago

My vote....Gotg Pro. The kids will love multiball by shooting the balls into Groot’s mouth and he shoots them back at you.

#41 3 years ago

After showing the kids some videos the preferences are, in order:

1. Star Wars
    2. Monster Bash
    3. Munsters (Surprised!)
    --------------------------Top Tier----------------------------
    4. Stern Pirates 2006
    5. Hot Wheels
    6. Dialed In
    7. Deadpool
    8. Black Knight, Sword Of Rage
    9. Teenage Mutant Nina Turtles

#42 3 years ago
    Quoted from SantaEatsCheese:After showing the kids some videos the preferences are, in order:

1. Star Wars
    2. Monster Bash
    3. Munsters (Surprised!)

Sounds like a great top 3.

1 week later
    #43 3 years ago
    Quoted from Crile1:

Team Play is also available on the platform. It's basically Co-op, but you can do mixed matches where the kids all team up on one profile playing against Dad, or a mom and dad team. It's all built into the P3 Profile system which also allows the players to save their progress through the game and restart games later picking up where they left off. Great for them working their way through a game, or setting up practice scenarios, like the various jewel heists in Heist. Plus you can always switch up gameplay to other games quickly. ROCs is basically asteroids in pinball form.

#44 3 years ago

After showing the kids some videos the preferences are, in order:
    1. Star Wars
    2. Monster Bash
    3. Munsters (Surprised!)
    --------------------------Top Tier----------------------------
    4. Stern Pirates 2006
    5. Hot Wheels
    6. Dialed In
    7. Deadpool
    8. Black Knight, Sword Of Rage
    9. Teenage Mutant Nina Turtles

I ended up with 35 offers on my TNA, but nothing on the list worked out. Ended up with 2 kid friendly older games, Judge Dredd and Earthshaker. The kids really liked them until we broke them. Time for some troubleshooting!

#45 3 years ago

So... my 9 year old just showed me the pinball machine he wants to make... guess I should have gone with another pin...

20210301_184838 (resized).jpg20210301_184838 (resized).jpg
    #46 3 years ago

Sent that and $15,000 to Deep Root and they'll produce it for you!

#47 3 years ago

My 4 year old used to gravitate to STTNG and loved firing the Cannons. However his favourites now are TH and WOZ. He always liked TH if I’m honest but it’s his goto pin now. Likes Wonka too.

#48 3 years ago

Kids that grow up playing pinball are pretty amazing once they get a grasp of rule sets.
    My kids have a better understanding of some of our machines rule sets than I do.
    Games like Hobbit I find very complex and my 10 year old son will watch me play and tell me exactly what I need to shoot next.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/best-modern-stern-for-kids-4-10 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.