AD wink.gif
bfbd7e021d8cdae15cc49d07eb9413a2 (resized).jpg
20240611_201835.jpg
Godzilla smoking the compition.gif
laughing-hysterically-cry.gif
preview (resized).jpg
Why I'm here (resized).jpg
IMG_0303 (resized).jpeg
There are 113 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 3.
#1 6 days ago

We're looking at the listed games only! Which modern Stern has the best fun factor, play one more game factor, risk reward factor, challenge factor, theme factor, art design, sound design, code depth, and shot layout!!! Let's ignore Pro vs Premium for this. Only one vote.

#2 6 days ago

So many good games to choose from.

Being as it's the only game I've bought twice though, I'm going to go with Iron Maiden.

#3 6 days ago

Jurassic Park by a wide margin. Next ids put Elvira, AIQ, Deadpool, Foo on the next tier. Godzilla is certainly in the competition for #1 but one game typically takes 20+ minutes. Just too long.

#4 6 days ago

GZ gets the most play by guests.

#5 6 days ago

JP
IMDN
DP
GZ

In that order. The rest: meh.

#7 6 days ago
Quoted from jackd104:

The rest: meh.

#8 6 days ago
Quoted from Tuna_Delight:

So many good games to choose from.
Being as it's the only game I've bought twice though, I'm going to go with Iron Maiden.

Just picked up my 3d maiden today, in Stanwood. Just a great game

#9 6 days ago

Ghostbusters isn't Spike 2...

#10 6 days ago
Quoted from beergut666:

Ghostbusters isn't Spike 2...

included because it's better than any Spike 2 title.

#11 6 days ago

I own a bunch of them on the list (7) and think the best one could be DP, JP or Godzilla but I voted for SW because it's my favorite especially the code how you can play different characters and have differs abilities or bonuses depending on which character.

#12 6 days ago

I'm going to be "that guy" and say Black Knight is. Freakin love that game!

#13 6 days ago

If there is ANY connection with the music, there is no touching IMDN Pro- best game hands down as pro. Deadpool and Foo Fighters next.

With Iron Maiden you get 4 flippers, fast but not too intimidating play and has amazing lastability.

I have friends or family that either don’t like the band or don’t even know them but they love the game. It gets played the most of anything in my collection.

#14 6 days ago
Quoted from Wiggles:

I'm going to be "that guy" and say Black Knight is. Freakin love that game!

My vote as well. All the features and the topper, plus the punishing game play. Blows the rest of the games away.

#15 6 days ago
Quoted from rai:

...I voted for SW because it's my favorite especially the code how you can play different characters and have differs abilities or bonuses depending on which character.

Like Venom! Another fun game!

#16 6 days ago

IMDN, SW, Venom are my favorites from the list. I voted Venom because I only get one vote and find it better than the other 2.

#17 6 days ago

GZ is the best game ever made, but my current fav Spike 2 is JP

#18 6 days ago

The 4 in the lead are obviously my picks .

IMG_0303 (resized).jpegIMG_0303 (resized).jpeg
#19 6 days ago

Why I'm here (resized).jpgWhy I'm here (resized).jpg

#20 6 days ago

I can’t believe how many titles have come out since Metallica (my favorite Stern)

#21 6 days ago

Foo is the best. Best designed, best built, best code, best art, best LCD, most fun.

Then JP, Rush, DP, GZ, EHOH (if working )

#22 6 days ago
Quoted from Stebel:

My vote as well. All the features and the topper, plus the punishing game play. Blows the rest of the games away.

My man!

preview (resized).jpgpreview (resized).jpg
#23 6 days ago

The correct answer is: Godzilla, Jaws, JP, Bond then rest.

#24 6 days ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

Foo is the best. Best designed, best built, best code, best art, best LCD, most fun.

laughing-hysterically-cry.giflaughing-hysterically-cry.gif
#25 6 days ago

This is a tough one. Gun to my head and I can only choose one....

Got to be Godzilla LE followed really closely by Star Wars LE

For me Jurassic Park is ok but it feels like chopping wood in no time. I actually like my Data East Jurassic Park more than the modern one

#26 6 days ago

Bond 60th needs to be on list-best single level game ever made

#27 5 days ago

Jp due to everything, but especially the ruleset.

#28 5 days ago

GOT prem
or
SW prem

#29 5 days ago

For me it TMNT and then flip a coin. My GF says Batman 66 then Elvira.

#30 5 days ago

Jurassic Park

Great music, fun diverse modes, tough shooting layout, solid mechs in the premium, greatest wizard mode of all time, and the story/gameplay just works. Only con are some of the callouts. I know some people wish it had video assets, but I like what they did on their own.

Godzilla is a close second. I only ding it a bit for being a bit too easy of a shooter. I also feel like the fun modes in the game take longer to get to than the fun modes in JP.

Also shout outs for Batman 66 (only minus is the kinda clunky layout), EHOH (only minus is the kinda easy layout), Deadpool (a bit shallow and clunky), GOTG (uninspired layout but great rules), and Beatles (just pure pinball fun but meh theme integration)

#31 5 days ago

Lots of fun titles but have to say GZ. Fun layout with great mechs and fun theme. All modes fun to play and great balance. Gameplay is a bit too easy so long play times. Rather that than something too difficult. I felt like JP was like that. I owned one for a while and only got to visitor center once and little else. A lot of tough shots that you often had to make and mine played extra clunky.

#32 5 days ago

According to the poll...

Godzilla is smoking the competition

Godzilla smoking the compition.gifGodzilla smoking the compition.gif
#33 5 days ago

It will probably go down as GZ, but right now my pick is AIQ.

#34 5 days ago

These polls are useless. GZ will always win them. Nuwbs that suck love GZ for the magic toys. I had my neighbor over, he got the ball back 5 times during the opening ball save. How is that even possible?!? Ppl that are great love GZ due to the code. I'll take JP or GB but I enjoy kicking my own ass!

#35 5 days ago

Iron Maiden is the best pinball machine I've ever played - but the theme/music is polarizing, so i can see GZ winning with broader appeal. There is more to do in GZ - but Maiden is still better imo.

GZ needs a challenge mode for some quicker alternate multiplayer games - the topper-blocked BS mode doesn't count. I'll never give Stern even $200 for a lousy friggin' topper...

I'm holding out hope GZ gets new code with the long promised challenge mode for the rest of us, with the release of the rumored 70th anv edition - we'll see.

#36 5 days ago

007 …

#37 5 days ago

Best used modern Stern for the money?

#38 5 days ago

Another vote for Iron Maiden pro. No fancy mech's or toys but just a fun shooting game that never gets boring to me.

#39 5 days ago

It is hard to choose “the best” but they can be broken into tiers:
S Tier: Godzilla, Jurassic Park, Deadpool
A Tier: 007, Elvira, Iron Maiden, Jaws, Foo Fighters
B Tier: Black Knight, GOTG, Stranger Things, Star Wars, Batman 66
C Tier: TMNT, Beatles, Rush, Mandalorian, Ghostbusters
D Tier: John Wick, Avengers, Munsters, Led Zeppelin
F Tier: Venom

All in all, I think Deadpool is the best modern Stern for beginner to average players, Jurassic Park is the best pin for above average to expert players, and Godzilla is almost as good for a beginner or advanced player, with it leaning towards the easier player. Crown goes to Godzilla for being most likely to please the most people.

#40 5 days ago

Look at that. Godzilla, JP, and Iron Maiden. Who could have guessed.

#41 5 days ago
Quoted from Bp350:

Another vote for Iron Maiden pro. No fancy mech's or toys but just a fun shooting game that never gets boring to me.

So satisfying to shoot. Not wood choppy, fun to shoot, unique layout, great rules and sound. Elwin hit it out of the park.

#42 5 days ago
Quoted from SantaEatsCheese:

All in all, I think Deadpool is the best modern Stern for beginner to average players, Jurassic Park is the best pin for above average to expert players, and Godzilla is almost as good for a beginner or advanced player, with it leaning towards the easier player. Crown goes to Godzilla for being most likely to please the most people.

Jaws in A and Avengers in D. lol ok

#43 5 days ago
Quoted from beergut666:

Had a temporary trade for an Avengers letting me test drive a LE in my basement for 6 months. I much prefer Jaws, although I still have less than 20 games on one. I'll agree that on paper Avengers has way more than Jaws going for it, but when actually playing it, Jaws makes me smile way more often than Avengers does... sorry... and Avengers resonates way more as a theme with me.

#44 5 days ago
Quoted from SantaEatsCheese:

A+++

#45 5 days ago
Quoted from beergut666:

Face it, Avengers gets dragged down by lousy call outs, basically zero animation and confusing ass rules that require a lot of homework to understand. The playfield is awesome, but the other things drag it down.

#46 5 days ago

Bond 60th. It's not on your list, it's way too bleeping expensive for what is, but if you get a chance to play one you actually won't be disappointed.

As far as the stuff actually on the list:

#47 5 days ago

I think Avengers is my favorite honestly, even more so than Godzilla, which I did not predict after acquiring both.

The complaints against Avengers are legit, the AV package is bad, and callouts are much harder to ignore than the rest of it. Its strengths though, what I think it does better than any other machine I've put a lot of plays on, are the things I value most in a game I own. Depth in rules, variety in shots, and flow.

I didnt really need to study the rules either, upon getting the game I figured I would just try and intuit them seeing as I was convinced Id have the game a long time based on the layout alone. There is a lot of meat on that bone, and I can walk up to it and choose a wide variety of ways to play it.

#48 5 days ago
Quoted from Doctor6:

Face it, Avengers gets dragged down by lousy call outs, basically zero animation and confusing ass rules that require a lot of homework to understand. The playfield is awesome, but the other things drag it down.

I play with music on, I never look at the screen when I am playing, and it is fun to shoot. The rules are no more confusing than Godzilla and no one seems to have a problem with it. If my friend that lives 10 minutes away didn't own it I'd buy one in a heartbeat.

#49 5 days ago

Zero votes for BM66 eh?

I knew I wasn't going to be missing anything when I got rid of that turd after two months.

#50 5 days ago
Quoted from Doctor6:

....and confusing ass rules that require a lot of homework to understand.

This is the same cry we heard out of Star Wars and it wasn't true then; wonder if AIQ will get a bump at some point?
Anyway, it takes a little bit of learning, but we are pinball players after all. It certainly isn't that hard to grasp the main concepts:
Collect avengers, start MBs, how the grid works etc.
As for weak call outs & animations that weird shit is for sure true; people go nuts over it.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 20.00
Playfield - Other
Pin Monk

Rubber/Silicone
NO GOUGE PINBALL™

$ 26.50
$ 45.00
Playfield - Protection
Chrome Candy

Machine - For Sale
Sea Cliff, NY
$ 144.00
Lighting - Backbox
The MOD Couple

8,700 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Lincoln, NE
Playfield - Protection
NinjaCamp Mods

$ 69.99
Cabinet - Decals
Inscribed Solutions

$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

$ 28.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

$ 125.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
CRCades

$ 45.00
Cabinet - Decals
Inscribed Solutions

7,200 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Washington, VA
€ 50.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pino Pinball Mods Shop

$ 210.00
Cabinet - Decals
Space Coast Pinball

$ 55.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Duke Pinball

$ 1,099.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Paradise Distribution

$ 145.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Raiden Mods

€ 99.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Watssapen shop

$ 24.50
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu
There are 113 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 3.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/best-modern-stern- and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.