(Topic ID: 287509)

Best modern pin if I could only get one

By johnndeanna

3 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

20200612_210713 (resized).jpg
    8C596802-FF0E-447B-BA04-42E76F3C9B81 (resized).jpeg

#1 3 years ago

I am moving to Ohio in the near future and will have space for ONE pin in my home office. I like both new and older games (SS mostly) so if I had one pin that both me, my wife, and my kids/grandkids would likely enjoy and would feel playable for a very long time, what would be your choice in machine? I know everyone has favorites but I am looking for something with a great ruleset, fun to plan, mix of hard and easy shots and generally something you would enjoy of you could only get a few games in a day on it every other day or so (renovating a house so can't play EVERY day).

I'd like to budget the cost of $7k or less. I would make space for TWO pins if I could get both for less than $7.5K in great shape. I look forward to your opinions.

John

#2 3 years ago

Stern Star Trek is a great pin. Excellent flow. Very approachable for novices, but also complex and deep enough for more advanced players to develop some strategy. I miss mine.

#3 3 years ago

Wonka all day long. Challenging! Fun! Great assets! And a very deep rule set. And best of all my nine year old loves it and really only plays this one. (Also have Addams Family and Stranger Things). She comes to my office and plays it at least once a day. She is also the Grand Champion.

#4 3 years ago
    Quoted from johnndeanna:

me, my wife, and my kids/grandkids would likely enjoy and would feel playable for a very long time . . .great ruleset, fun to plan, mix of hard and easy shots and generally something you would enjoy of you could only get a few games in a day on it every other day or so . . .
    I'd like to budget the cost of $7k or less

You are describing Simpsons Pinball Party.

#5 3 years ago

Thinkin Deadpool

#6 3 years ago

Avengers Infinity Quest or Jurassic Park.

#7 3 years ago

All of the answers in this thread are going to be bullcrap if they actually recommend a machine.

Everyone will just list their favorite games that meet your budget, but none of them will be even close to the best machine. That is because we are all individuals and we all like different things in our games. That's why you should by Tron and not listen to anyone that actually recommends a game.

#8 3 years ago

Total Nuclear Annihilation (TNA). It has a 3 different multiplayer options: regular-style every-man/woman/child for themselves, 2 vs 2 "team" mode, and cooperative multiplayer mode for 2-4 players where everyone works together to try to destroy all 9 reactors. In that mode all progress and scoring is shared, but the ones digit for each players display is used to indicate how many reactors that player destroyed. Excellent light show, pretty straightforward ruleset. Might scratch the itch for something both old school and modern. Plus the soundtrack and audio is excellent, imo Super addictive gameplay, and it's sure to be a hit with the kids from some of the stories I've heard. It can be fast and brutal but there's plenty of options for lengthening ball saves etc.

It's on my very short wish list at this point, and i can't wait to own one myself someday! Probably gonna run between $6-7k used, possibly a bit less.

Good luck on the hunt!

#9 3 years ago

Have a look at TMNT and Hot Wheels as well.

#10 3 years ago

Lot's of good opinions and advice here.

my opinion don't think you are getting 2 pins for $7500 but I'll give two scenarios

A) spend it all on one pin (my choice is SW premium/LE)
    B) spending more like $9.5K pick 2 from this list (SM, ST, SW, Met, TWD, Iron Man, DP, Maiden, JP, Stern Potc) pros

I really like SW (especially premium) but the pro is fine too, great theme and layout and toys (on the premium/LE) and it has different characters to pick that have different paths so you can concentrate on various movie scenes or planet modes and get different high scores makes the game more varied than just having one pin like Met pro (which is great but it plays the same).

#11 3 years ago

I really miss my TWD pro, but I also equally enjoy TSPP.

#12 3 years ago

The real question is: do you really have to move to Ohio?

Kidding.

#13 3 years ago

Sticking with NIB games that should work well with a diverse audience like yours:

Stern Pro/Vault:
    ST - one of Stern’s best of all-time
    JP - ditto
    TMNT - probably an unpopular suggestion around here, but I played one on location recently and enjoyed it MUCH more than I ever expected I would, and also thought it was fairly feature-rich compared with other recent Pros)

JJP:
    Wonka - not impossible to find one at $7.5k and it’s a great game, assuming the theme works for you.

*Unfortunate caveat with any (as far as I am concerned) recent/current Stern or JJP is the crapshoot playfield and fit/finish quality.

CGC:
    AFM or MB “Classic Edition” - both games would work for you, though MB tends to get stale fairly quick if you are a halfway decent player. Impressive quality in my limited experience, with beautifully done playfields that don’t have a lot of problems.

AP:
    HW - might be the best overall answer for your situation; it is a blast to play and contains a lot of unexpected thematic elements and game objectives, and it really nails the aesthetic balance by looking enough like a toy to make you want to play but in no way juvenile or garish. It also has the advantage of feeling MUCH more solid and well-built than the comparable Sterns, and no known playfield issues.

#14 3 years ago
    Quoted from johnndeanna:

I am moving to Ohio in the near future

What part?

#15 3 years ago

I would vote Simpson's Pinball Party or Lord of the Rings.

#16 3 years ago
    Quoted from DanMarino:

I would vote Simpson's Pinball Party or Lord of the Rings.

Both great pins.

Lotr was a bit long playing so when I owned it was not playing as much as most games.

#17 3 years ago
    Quoted from leaffan67:

Thinkin Deadpool

Deadpool Pro and a Classic Bally / Stern

#18 3 years ago

Jurassic park premium would be my recommendation

#19 3 years ago
    #20 3 years ago

Star Trek Pro all day! Possibly tied with Whirlwind for my favorite game and definitely my favorite Stern game. Amazing game all around.

#21 3 years ago
    Quoted from Daditude:

Jurassic park premium would be my recommendation

This, if I had to sell all my games and only keep one it would my JP Pre.

#22 3 years ago

Guess it depends on everyone’s taste in your family. If you are talking modern pins and you have a family I’m leaning on AIQ. It’s has a lot going on that will keep you busy on it for a while. I played it over the weekend and it was next to a Rick & Morty, Deadpool, Black Knight, Jurassic Park, and Led Zeppelin LE. This kid was standing 1 foot away with his quarter in his hand asking if it was his turn yet. Well I think I played the worst ball ever so that kid could get right on it. He looked pretty excited to play that game only. So if you have an arcade open nearby with a modern collection, take your family there and let the decision happen there

#23 3 years ago
    Quoted from zh2oson:

The real question is: do you really have to move to Ohio?
    Kidding.

This guy is asking the real question. I would recommend a good older game and an EM. Gives you very different gameplay, looks, sounds and feels.

#24 3 years ago

Simpsons pinball party by day. Simpsons pinball party by night. All day.

#25 3 years ago
    Quoted from johnndeanna:

if I had one pin that both me, my wife, and my kids/grandkids would likely enjoy and would feel playable for a very long time, what would be your choice in machine? ...I am looking for something with a great ruleset, fun to plan, mix of hard and easy shots and generally something you would enjoy of you could only get a few games in a day on it every other day or so.

This is a tall order tbh. Are all of these people pinball lovers? Or is it just you? Because if your goal is to buy something that non-pinball lovers will like and they will play the game, I think you're going to be disappointed. It's extremely difficult to get non-pinball people into the game. I think you gotta try to find something that's great for the whole family while at the same time great for solo play if they bail on you.

That said, I think my pick for you would be Dialed In. It has a very deep ruleset but not overly complex. It has an amazing light show. It has dark humor (some people don't realize this) but it's also light-hearted enough for kids to enjoy. Great sounds, satisfying shots, and it's great for the whole family, and if they bail on you it's great for a solo player too. I think it'll be hard to beat this. Any standard model can run for around 6k. When I had this at my house, it was the one game all kids ran to.

A close second would be Attack from Mars, simply because it's one of the best games of all time, and it's super easy to understand to "hit the ship in the middle of the playfield". Plus it's easier to sell than DI if you decide to sell it.

#26 3 years ago
    Quoted from ThePinballCo-op:This is a tall order tbh. Are all of these people pinball lovers? Or is it just you? Because if your goal is to buy something that non-pinball lovers will like and they will play the game, I think you're going to be disappointed. It's extremely difficult to get non-pinball people into the game. I think you gotta try to find something that's great for the whole family while at the same time great for solo play if they bail on you.
    That said, I think my pick for you would be Dialed In. It has a very deep ruleset but not overly complex. It has an amazing light show. It has dark humor (some people don't realize this) but it's also light-hearted enough for kids to enjoy. Great sounds, satisfying shots, and it's great for the whole family, and if they bail on you it's great for a solo player too. I think it'll be hard to beat this. Any standard model can run for around 6k. When I had this at my house, it was the one game all kids ran to.
    A close second would be Attack from Mars, simply because it's one of the best games of all time, and it's super easy to understand to "hit the ship in the middle of the playfield". Plus it's easier to sell than DI if you decide to sell it.

Agree on both pins.

#27 3 years ago

I picked up a Simpsons pinball party 2 weeks ago and everybody flocks to it first! Super deep rule set. It’s the kind of quirky game that keeps ya hooked and smiling all the while. With some mods it’s a great looking pin on or off!

8C596802-FF0E-447B-BA04-42E76F3C9B81 (resized).jpeg8C596802-FF0E-447B-BA04-42E76F3C9B81 (resized).jpeg
    #28 3 years ago

Star Wars Prem. I prefer the comic edition. Great integration with the theme. lots of shots, great sounds, some easy /some tough modes. Put in a shaker and pin woofer system to get the best out of the game.

Star Trek premium. Easier game to play than Star Wars. Lots of flow. Good integration with the Theme. great sound also.

Munsters premium. Do not let the haters influence you here. The game as is is a lot of fun

Black Knight premium. Fun game. Great sounds. You are battling the Black Knight and he taunts you. Whats not to love about that.

SS games: Stars and either Flash Gordon or Eight Ball Deluxe.

#29 3 years ago

I agree with TSPP one great game wish I could find one.

All that being said MM, AFM or MB are fun in the remakes and more reliable with the update electronics and led's.

20200612_210713 (resized).jpg20200612_210713 (resized).jpg
    #30 3 years ago

If I had to choose one modern game and I could only have one, it would be GOT premium.

#31 3 years ago
    Quoted from chuckwurt:

If I had to choose one modern game and I could only have one, it would be GOT premium.

I mean yeah, but.... you have weird taste. I'm shocked you didn't say thunderbirds, or something.

#32 3 years ago
    Quoted from zpinman370:

I agree with TSPP one great game wish I could find one.
    All that being said MM, AFM or MB are fun in the remakes and more reliable with the update electronics and led's.
    [quoted image]

The fun of MM AFM and MB will fade due to lack of depth. Fun, yes but will become repetitive.

TSPP can last longer due to the depth and all the stacking challenges. It set the bar.

#33 3 years ago

If I had $7.5K to spend on two pins, I would buy a Whirlwind and Johnny Mnemonic. You'd probably be able to score both for $6.5K if you play your cards right.

Reason:

Whirlwind: classic layout, fairly easy to learn, has fun pinball moments, will appeal to everyone on your list,

Johnny: Fast, fast, fast. Fun modes. Has some interesting code depth and challenges spread across the throwing awards, modes, and glove matrix. Additionally, the matrix choices allow you to explore the game using completely different strategies. It also has some fun pinball moments, plays completely different than Whirlwind, and will probably remain a challenge to casual players.

#34 3 years ago
    Quoted from chuckwurt:

Another good choice. Especially if you like the theme.

#35 3 years ago
    Quoted from RTS:

The fun of MM AFM and MB will fade due to lack of depth. Fun, yes but will become repetitive.
    TSPP can last longer due to the depth and all the stacking challenges. It set the bar.

Dude, all three of those are better than tspp, and I love tspp. It isnt always about deep rules, but a fun time, too.

#36 3 years ago

Brand new Jurassic park, older pin- simpsons. I would like both, myself.

I wanted to suggest you buy your personal favorite game, whatever it is. You can’t go wrong when you have picked your own favorite. IMO.

#37 3 years ago
    Quoted from Doctor6:

Dude, all three of those are better than tspp, and I love tspp. It isnt always about deep rules, but a fun time, too.

I was trying to adhere to the OP's restriction of only having one pin.

I didn't consider how much you like those three pins versus how much you like TSPP.

#38 3 years ago

Best tech? Best sound/video visuals? Best movie themed integration? I still consider state of the art?

Alien.

But probably not the best for kids, I second any of the JJP offerings (WOZ or Wonka) instead.

#39 3 years ago
    Quoted from RTS:

I was trying to adhere to the OP's restriction of only having one pin.
    I didn't consider how much you like those three pins versus how much you like TSPP.

He'd make room for two if they are a combined $7.5K

#40 3 years ago

Wonka SE or IMDN Premium. Best of the decade for sure!!! good luck finding either for sale second hand though. many owners are not selling!!!

#41 3 years ago
    Quoted from 27dnast:

If I had $7.5K to spend on two pins, I would buy a Whirlwind and Johnny Mnemonic. You'd probably be able to score both for $6.5K if you play your cards right.
    Reason:
    Whirlwind: classic layout, fairly easy to learn, has some fun pinball moments, will appeal to everyone on your list,
    Johnny: Fast, fast, fast. Fun modes. Has some interesting code depth and challenges spread across the throwing awards, modes, and glove matrix. Additionally, the matrix choices allow you to explore the game using completely different strategies. It also has some fun pinball moments, plays completely different than Whirlwind, and will probably remain a challenge to casual players.

Great opinion! perfect pair for a gameroom. pacing and theme are polar opposites. speed is completely different. JM is a hugely underrated pin, and should get more consideration!!!

#42 3 years ago

Pins are like Lays Potato chips.

#43 3 years ago
    Quoted from johnndeanna:

I am moving to Ohio in the near future and will have space for ONE pin in my home office. I like both new and older games (SS mostly) so if I had one pin that both me, my wife, and my kids/grandkids would likely enjoy and would feel playable for a very long time, what would be your choice in machine? I know everyone has favorites but I am looking for something with a great ruleset, fun to plan, mix of hard and easy shots and generally something you would enjoy of you could only get a few games in a day on it every other day or so (renovating a house so can't play EVERY day).
    I'd like to budget the cost of $7k or less. I would make space for TWO pins if I could get both for less than $7.5K in great shape. I look forward to your opinions.
    John

with your budget in mind i get IRON MAIDEN premium.5k gets stern potc or spiderman

#44 3 years ago
    Quoted from smalltownguy2:

Pins are like Lays Potato chips.

You eat your pinball machines?

This is like a desert island question. Save 1, the rest have to go. My favorite game of all time is IJ...but that's not exactly "modern" anymore. If you asked me which pin I own that's made in the last 10 years and I play more than any other, it would have to be STh. But I realize that's not everybody's cup of tea.

As others have said, it's really tough to tell somebody else what to get because everybody's tastes are different.

#45 3 years ago
    Quoted from beelzeboob:

You eat your pinball machines?
    This is like a desert island question. Save 1, the rest have to go. My favorite game of all time is IJ...but that's not exactly "modern" anymore. If you asked me which pin I own that's made in the last 10 years and I play more than any other, it would have to be STh. But I realize that's not everybody's cup of tea.
    As others have said, it's really tough to tell somebody else what to get because everybody's tastes are different.

Interesting. STh is your most played. I need to play one sometime.

#46 3 years ago
    Quoted from sulli10:

Interesting. STh is your most played. I need to play one sometime.

You know where I live. And I've got my shots.

#47 3 years ago

Thanks everyone for the suggestions. Some of these I have played while many I have not. I’ll really have to get out and find these to play once I move.

I am moving to the East Liverpool OH area. Pittsburgh is only an hour drive for the most part. I know there is a great following there and I should easily be able to find a decent pin or pins to get once I am there.

Initially I said a single pin as I expected that I’d really only have room for one. Turns out I made an offer on a home last week and I will be getting far more space than I expected. Ending up with a 15’ x 23 basement with a bath and a bar area ( after I do some renovations to get it up to snuff). Going to have a small home theater down there but will still have a 15’ x 10’ space for pins left over. Should be able to fit more than a few in that space. Hope for a couple EMs since my wife would enjoy the slower pace of those and the rest more modern machines. Thanks again for all the suggestions everyone

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/best-modern-pin-if-i-could-only-get-one?hl=zh2oson and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.