Topic Stats

• 19 posts
  • 16 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 6 years ago by Madmax541
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

#1 6 years ago

Having come of (pinball) age in the era of Williams/Bally/Midway dot matrix games, one thing that's struck me is how many games - not just of that era, but particularly that era - have "cutesy" themes/sound/callouts. Lots of bad puns, hammy voice acting, cartoony art, general silliness. Not that that's a bad thing (I own a Medieval Madness, which is a perfect example), it just gets to be a bit much when it's every game.

I've always felt that Attack from Mars was one of the few that managed to lean slightly toward the "aggressive" side, getting your adrenaline going not only with fast play, but with driving music and angry callouts. ("Ataaaaaaack!" ...though there are still some cows & other silliness.) So my question is:

Q: What are the best modern-era games with an "aggressive" theme/sounds/music/callouts?

A couple rules, just because it's my thread:

1) "Modern" means DMD or newer.
2) NO band-based themes. AC/DC, Metallica, etc. are obvious candidates - but I'd never buy a machine with music from a band I liked.
3) "Best" & "aggressive" means that the sound/theme/etc. actually work together to angry up yer blood when playing. Not just that the theme has space monsters in it.

EDIT: Include some quotes, specific music / modes / whathaveyou. E.g., AFM's Martian Attack mode, or... "JAAAAAAAAAACKPOOOOOOOOT!"

#2 6 years ago

The Walking Dead

#3 6 years ago

Judge Dredd

#4 6 years ago

Walking dead best game ever made!

#5 6 years ago

Stern Star Trek

Walking Dead

Game of Thrones

Dirty Harry

Judge Dredd (almost insanely aggressive)

NO FEAR (AGAAAAAAAAAIN!!)

Johnny Mnemonic

T2 and T3

Getaway (really pretty much any Steve Ritchie game)

#6 6 years ago

Some good suggestions already! I was going to mention No Fear and Getaway myself. Walking Dead, the few times I've played it, always seemed sort of "quiet". Plenty of squishy / cracking sounds and gross stuff on the display - but more creepy than aggro. Then again, I never got good enough at it to get all the bells & whistles going. (Also not trying to "disqualify" anyone's suggestions. Keep 'em coming!)

#7 6 years ago
Quoted from meeotch:

Some good suggestions already! I was going to mention No Fear and Getaway myself. Walking Dead, the few times I've played it, always seemed sort of "quiet". Plenty of squishy / cracking sounds and gross stuff on the display - but more creepy than aggro. Then again, I never got good enough at it to get all the bells & whistles going. (Also not trying to "disqualify" anyone's suggestions. Keep 'em coming!)

With this game it is pretty vital to install one of the aftermarket sound packages.

A few more to consider = twilight zone and BS Dracula.

#8 6 years ago

Mustang, especially when loading your own songs. But fun and loud callouts get me into the game for sure.

#9 6 years ago
Quoted from freakandgeek:

With this game it is pretty vital to install one of the aftermarket sound packages.
A few more to consider = twilight zone and BS Dracula.

Oh yeah, Dracula for sure.

Iron Man too.

#10 6 years ago

Godzilla?

#11 6 years ago

Shadow is very serious in nature too.

#14 6 years ago

the answer is such a no brainer. This game was built for a thread like this.

Alien

I've never seen such a mature feeling/ass kicking/effect heavy/suspense driven/thriller in a box machine like Alien. The integration of theme, sound and effects is top tier and it really gets your blood pumping.

#15 6 years ago

Starship Troopers.

The entire point of the game is to kill stuff and nuke entire planets. There is a bloody hole through every person on almost every plastic in the game. They had to include a sticker to censor the man-ripped-in-half in the drain for family establishments. The game calls you a maggot if you take too long plunging. Michael Ironside threatens to shoot you.

Nothing cutesy about that game.

#16 6 years ago
#17 6 years ago

Sopranos

#18 6 years ago

Mustang

TNA

#19 6 years ago
Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 63.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 64.99
$ 15.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

Wanted
$ 100.00
Cabinet - Decals
Creative Mods

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

$ 17.50
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 225.00
Cabinet - Other
FlyLand Designs

$ 89.99
Lighting - Led
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 19.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 399.00
Cabinet - Decals
Mircoplayfields

$ 119.99
Cabinet - (Alt) Translites
FlyLand Designs

Machine - For Sale
La Porte, TX
$ 23.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

Trade
Machine - For Trade
Van Alstyne, TX
$ 89.99
Lighting - Led
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 44.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PinBoss Mods

Machine - For Sale
Livonia, MI
$ 84.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
FlyLand Designs

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 69.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 59.99
Playfields
NO GOUGE PINBALL™

$ 16.95
Playfield - Protection
ULEKstore

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/best-modern-game-with-an-aggressive-themesoundsmusiccallouts and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.