(Topic ID: 78042)

Best methods for cleaning old stepper units?

By DrFistington

10 years ago

Topic Stats

• 10 posts
  • 10 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 10 years ago by Pin-it
  • Topic is favorited by 2 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

#1 10 years ago

Well I'm at it again, I just picked up a Williams Pat Hand machine, and now I'm starting the process of getting it cleaned up, overall its in pretty good shape, although from what I can tell several stepper units\score reels are gunked up and not moving freely, so I'm going to be taking them apart and clean/lubricate them, and once I get all the steppers working smoothly then I can focus my troubleshooting a bit more (or better yet, maybe cleaning the stepper units will fix the issues I'm having!)

I was wondering, what products seem to work best for cleaning/lubricating old stepper units? Are there any definite 'DO NOTS' that I should avoid?

#2 10 years ago

I have a ball bowler with stepper units and score reels and I used rubbing alcohol with q tips and cotton balls to clean. Than I put super lube synthetic grease which I bought at the hardware store on just the metal to metal parts. The nylon to metal or nylon to nylon parts do not need lubricating. I believe you can use lighter fluid form lighters instead of alcohol which can be bought at walgreens stores. Hope this helps!

#3 10 years ago

Here is a pinside discussion from 10 months ago that should help you with your question.

http://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/cleaning-stepper-units

#4 10 years ago

I use Mean Green with a Scotchbrite Pad followed with a 90% Alcohol wipe down with a paper towel for all Steppers.

I then use a few drops of Teflon Oil on the metal gears and very thin layer Teflon Lube Gel on the Stepper Unit PCB Disc. This all per Clay's Video. Fantastic safe results.

If the unit still does not advance decrement as it should I check all the Springs and sometimes have to cut one down a bit to get the original tension back. You can replace the Springs as well but if you are careful cutting back a few rungs it is easy enough and does not distort the Spring.

Ken

#5 10 years ago

Rip em apart and put em in the ultra sound

Clean the rivets with scotch bright pads and teflon lube them after
https://plus.google.com/u/0/photos/112945653847568274013/albums/5643156154506693633

--Jeff

#6 10 years ago

On woodrails I use an old toothbrush with some Mean Green sprayed on the bristles. It lets you get between the two surfaces without taking anything apart. It doesn't do a perfect job, but at least you'll get rid of the old grease and crud quickly and easily.

#7 10 years ago

WD40

.... Just kidding. Don't do that.

#8 10 years ago

I buy boxes of those alcohol pads. They seem to cut the gunk pretty freely and they are kind of handy. An ultrasonic cleaner would be the cat's pajamas…maybe someday.

#9 10 years ago

Ditto to Way2wyrd's tip. Strip up apart (take a picture to help your memory if you are me) wash them in the ultrasonic cleaner and rebuild them. Clean the rivets with scotch bright pads or what you got and teflon lube them after reassembly.

Good as new and work perfect with possibly a new spring kit from PBR.

#10 10 years ago
Quoted from way2wyrd:

Rip em apart and put em in the ultra sound

Dinosaur approved. Nice pictorial.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 100.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/best-methods-for-cleaning-old-stepper-units and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.