IMG_0292 (resized).JPG
IMG_0303 (resized).JPG
IMG_0302 (resized).JPG
IMG_0299 (resized).JPG
IMG_0295 (resized).JPG
20171011_142350 (resized).jpg
20171011_142345 (resized).jpg
#1 6 years ago

I am restoring the apron on my Gulfstream. What is the best option for restoring the screen printing? I have scanned the apron and traced the art as a vector. I could cut vinyl decals. I could cut stencils and airbrush. Waterslide decals? I guess I could bite the bullet and make screens and do a screen print but it seems like an awful lot of work for one apron. Any opinions? Pros/cons?

#2 6 years ago

Unfortunately the only way to get a crisp image is screen print. The small text is too small for a vinyl cutter to do.
For a one apron, maybe you could make stencils for the bigger color art, then waterslide decals for the small text. then clear over everything.

#3 6 years ago

Funny this topic comes up as Im working on an apron. Even when one is careful with stencils, things can go awry, but note I used rattle can white and not airbrush for this one. As for the tiny detail, on this SBM apron at least, w/o an ALPS printer to print white or perhaps using the cameo to cut white waterslide decals, I will end up changing the white to black and print on clear water slides or having to leave off the minutia details

20171011_142345 (resized).jpg20171011_142345 (resized).jpg

20171011_142350 (resized).jpg20171011_142350 (resized).jpg

#4 6 years ago

There actually is another way. I don't have time to go through the process at the moment. But it's pretty slick.

IMG_0295 (resized).JPGIMG_0295 (resized).JPG

IMG_0299 (resized).JPGIMG_0299 (resized).JPG

IMG_0302 (resized).JPGIMG_0302 (resized).JPG

IMG_0303 (resized).JPGIMG_0303 (resized).JPG

#5 6 years ago

What a tease you are Brian! Some kind of dry transfer? But looks computer printed?

#6 6 years ago

Of course Bryan Kelly knows "the way"

I'm sure we will all be bugging you until time permits that you can let us in on your trade secret.

#7 6 years ago
Quoted from dr_nybble:

What a tease you are Brian! Some kind of dry transfer? But looks computer printed?

It is a dry transfer. Art files were sent to a company that makes them. Took a number of tries to get the colors correct. Once installed, I had my body shop buddy clear over them. No pics of that yet. It looks nicer than if they were screened.

#8 6 years ago
Quoted from Atari_Daze:

Of course Bryan Kelly knows "the way"

I'm sure we will all be bugging you until time permits that you can let us in on your trade secret.

I honestly didn't do any of this except install the artwork. I do, however, have people with much more talent then me. I only posted because I'll be gone the next few days and by posting now, I can find this easier later.

#9 6 years ago

You can do pretty small lettering too.

IMG_0292 (resized).JPGIMG_0292 (resized).JPG

#10 6 years ago
Quoted from Bryan_Kelly:

There actually is another way. I don't have time to go through the process at the moment. But it's pretty slick.

That's beautiful Bryan! Please give us the details when you get a chance.

#11 6 years ago

The dry transfer looks really interesting. I'll make a shameless plug for Merf's Pin, an endeavor of brenna98 and myself. These are licensed repros, made in a thicker gauge steel than original to prevent dents and warps, powdercoated to resist scuffing, and silk screened with high quality enamel based inks that are baked on for long lasting product.

FGGoldApron (resized).jpgFGGoldApron (resized).jpg

SBMApron (resized).jpgSBMApron (resized).jpg

9 months later
#12 5 years ago

This thread seems to have died on the vine. Bryan_Kelly, is there any more information that can be shared?

Thanks.

7 months later
Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Salem, OR
Gameroom - Decorations
Pin Art

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/best-method-for-apron-art?hl=arcane and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.