Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 100 posts
  • 44 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 11 years ago by vcloverjr
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic poll

“What machine would you buy for $2500 to $3000”

• Star Trek: The Next Generation (+) 27 votes
      19%
    • Funhouse 10 votes
      7%
    • Creature from the Black Lagoon (+) 24 votes
      17%
    • The Shadow 21 votes
      15%
    • Bram Stoker's Dracula (-) 7 votes
      5%
    • No Good Gofers 17 votes
      12%
    • Revenge From Mars 9 votes
      6%
    • Road Show (Red & Ted's) 10 votes
      7%
    • Budget STERN: Ripley's, Terminator 3, Sopranos, CSI, 24, World Poker Tour, Big Buck Hunter, etc. 18 votes
      13%

(143 votes)

There are 100 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 2.
    #51 11 years ago

You have MM & AFM ranked as your top two, so I will say (again) that you should buy Mmueller's SM. I know, they aren't exactly the same but they do play quite a bit alike.

#52 11 years ago
    Quoted from davewtf:

avoid that one like the plague.

Is it within the price range?

#53 11 years ago
    Quoted from davewtf:

You have MM & AFM ranked as your top two, so I will say (again) that you should buy Mmueller's SM. I know, they aren't exactly the same but they do play quite a bit alike.

Yeah, I just don't know if I have the bankroll for it right now. Even with selling you my FT. I'd still have to sell my Chexx and then come up with some more cash.

Again, don't think about this list as for me. Sure I might look at it, but it's really just trying to come up with a list of good games in that price range.

#54 11 years ago
    Quoted from lpeters82:

Is it within the price range?

It's a $3500-4000 game, i'd say.

#55 11 years ago

I think it's a great game to play a few games on, but it does seem like it would get old.

#56 11 years ago
    Quoted from lpeters82:

Does Champion Pub deserve a spot on the list? Is it any less realistic then Creature or Star Trek?

Yeesh...heck no. It's probably above the price range, and I'll be darned if I can figure out why.

OK...I don't hate it...it has some pretty fun toys and a good theme and humor. But it's honestly one of my least favorite DMD era games, (if not all eras). You should play one yourself to judge though, don't go on my word. Eric S in Oshkosh has one (or at least used to...I know he was thinking about selling it at one point, but I think he still has it).

If you need to spend some time on any of my games before making a decision, feel free. There are lots of others with great collections here in WI, and of course MGC is only a few months away, so you should have plenty of opportunities to try out all kinds of games before making a decision (if you can wait that long...I know I would have a hard time with that! ).

#57 11 years ago

Again, it's not my list. I'm just using this to start some discussion. I've played a Champion Pub in AZ, plus there is one going on route about 20 minutes from my house. I can stop by and play it whenever I want. It's not going to go on my personal wanted list.

#58 11 years ago

I know CFTBL shot up in price a lot. Used to be a $1600 game couple years ago, but was unaware that STTNG shot up so much. Think my dad just sold his for $2200 and it was nice. They were 2k for like 10 years.

#59 11 years ago

I added a poll taking the eight highest rated suggestions, plus lumping together the newer Sterns.

#60 11 years ago

STTNG probably should not be in the poll. If you find one in that price range GRAB it .....fast.

P.S. - I voted for STTNG

#61 11 years ago
    Quoted from Astropin:

STTNG probably should not be in the poll. If you find one in that price range GRAB it .....fast.
    P.S. - I voted for STTNG

I think the same goes for Creature, they were the two that you'd be lucky to find. I was thinking those would dominate the poll, based partially upon value, but we'll see.

#62 11 years ago

I can only vouch for ONE of the budget Stern's listed, WPT.

But I enjoy WPT leaps and bounds over STTNG, Funhouse, Creech, Shadow, BSD, NGG, or Road Show.

#63 11 years ago

I think Tommy is right is this range ($2500-$3000) for a nice one

#64 11 years ago

I think you're right.

#65 11 years ago

Would be easier to list games NOT in this price range. 2500-3000 is a range that's most titles fall into IMO.

#66 11 years ago
    Quoted from TaylorVA:

Would be easier to list games NOT in this price range. 2500-3000 is a range that's most titles fall into IMO.

I think only one or two of your current machines would fit the budget. Without doing a complete price survey, it's just opinion, but I really think most "discussion worthy" machines are less then $2500 or more then $3500.

#67 11 years ago
    Quoted from lpeters82:

Does Champion Pub deserve a spot on the list? Is it any less realistic then Creature or Star Trek?

CP is usually 3.5k - 4k from what I have seen.

#68 11 years ago
    Quoted from RobT:

When was the last time someone saw STTNG for $3k? Really?

+1, $3500 game all day every day.

I voted BSD since STTNG and CFTBL are not $2500 - $3000 games.

#69 11 years ago
    Quoted from lpeters82:

I think only one or two of your current machines would fit the budget. Without doing a complete price survey, it's just opinion, but I really think most "discussion worthy" machines are less then $2500 or more then $3500.

You are correct. The price range is too small, maybe 2k to 3k. That would encompass most titles. That being said I think a lot depends on the condition of any of these titles. A cftbl could certainly be had at this range but the condition may not be great. Taking this into account I stand by my earlier statement that most titles would fit into this range but with the stipulation that condition, good or bad, will put some there. Fair enough?

#70 11 years ago

Yeah, several people suggested them, but I think the consensus is $3000 would be a steal. I placed a (+) or (-) next to next to some machines to indicate games that are borderline, in terms of price.

#71 11 years ago

How about Corvette. I enjoy it and it seems to have a lot going on. Rules aren't very deep but it's not exactally at 10 min ball time pin either so that doesn't factor in all that much.

#72 11 years ago
    Quoted from TaylorVA:

You are correct. The price range is too small, maybe 2k to 3k. That would encompass most titles. That being said I think a lot depends on the condition of any of these titles. A cftbl could certainly be had at this range but the condition may not be great. Taking this into account I stand by my earlier statement that most titles would fit into this range but with the stipulation that condition, good or bad, will put some there. Fair enough?

Fair enough, I'm not going to take any offense to any suggestions on the list. I also agree, once you dip down to the $2000 pins, you're going to be adding a lot more tiles. I started at $2500 to try to eliminate them. Still I included some of the top machines around that price with a (-) including: Fish Tales, Bram Stoker's Dracula, Jurassic Park, Who dunnit, Congo, etc. All were suggested by others.

#73 11 years ago

Yeah
    Funhouse.
    Thanks Tim!

#74 11 years ago

Buy a machine, enjoy it while you raise more funds, then sell, add the funds you saved, and buy another.

So, buy BSD or TS, enjoy it, then sell down the line and get CFTBL, TSPP, etc.

#75 11 years ago

Road Show

#76 11 years ago
    Quoted from Mudflaps:

So, buy BSD or TS, enjoy it, then sell down the line and get CFTBL, TSPP, etc

Selling BSD or TS to get TSPP or CFTBL is just silly talk.

#77 11 years ago
    Quoted from davewtf:

Selling BSD or TS to get TSPP or CFTBL is just silly talk.

Your right. He would need to sell BOTH BSD and TS in order to get TSPP. Better off just saving up for Creature since it is the best out of all those games

#78 11 years ago
    Quoted from tonymiddendorf:

I can only vouch for ONE of the budget Stern's listed, WPT.
    But I enjoy WPT leaps and bounds over STTNG, Funhouse, Creech, Shadow, BSD, NGG, or Road Show.

I agree. You can get a WPT in excellent condition for less than your $2500-3000 range. Then you can save for your next game. KJ rules and SR playfield - what else do you need? Oh yeah, an alternate translite.

16 drops, smooth ramps, great sound (which you can never hear on location).

BSD is second.

#79 11 years ago

I voted for the one I want the least. Sorry.

#80 11 years ago

world poker tour or road show

#81 11 years ago

by the way, my gf ordered me one of the alternate translites off ebay for Christmas...

I'm in love

#82 11 years ago
    Quoted from davewtf:

I voted for the one I want the least. Sorry.

which is that?

#83 11 years ago

I'd take a Tommy over any of those titles. Tommy is one of the greatest.

#84 11 years ago

I scored a creech for 3100 with a green holo so I would assume that a blue or no holo would put it in the 2500-3000 range imo

#85 11 years ago

I think lot's of machines can be scored for a lower price. I'd prefer to stick to realistic price, however I did stretch the list to include Creature and Star Trek.

PS: I just missed a TS for $1600. Should have check all the sources for that day. If it's someone here and you're just looking to turn a quick profit, LMK.

#86 11 years ago
    Quoted from Jam_Burglar:

What about junkyard?

AGREED.

#87 11 years ago

Only 3 people voted for BSD? I assume that's because it's below the 2500-3000 price point. I personally have had no fewer than 15 people ask me about selling mine. Honest.

#88 11 years ago
    Quoted from davewtf:

Only 3 people voted for BSD? I assume that's because it's below the 2500-3000 price point. I personally have had no fewer than 15 people ask me about selling mine. Honest.

I think that's true. If this was a $1500 to $2000 range it would probably be #1.

#89 11 years ago

Yeah, this poll could have read, "Which machine would you buy for 3k" and results would have turned out very similar. In other words, most people would buy a STTNG or CFTBL if they could find it for 3k just because that is a good deal.

#90 11 years ago

Also correct, that is the question. Basically, "If you had up to $3000, what single machine would be at the peak of your purchasing power?" The fact that BSD received any votes was impressive; it's borderline low end. Putting it head to head versus games like STTNG and CFTBL, that borderline high end, is unfair in a way.

The poll is however what I intended it to be. Voters can factor-in both "gameplay" and "value". I'm sure if the pole listed prices, BSD would have many more votes. Something like..."Which is the better buy? BSD for $2000 or STTNG for $3500"

#91 11 years ago

Why isnt Hardbody on this list?

#92 11 years ago

Because, until now no one suggested it? <-- Go on read it again. This time as a question.

#93 11 years ago

Had hardbody been added to the poll earlier it would be dominating...

#94 11 years ago
    Quoted from herbertbsharp:

Is that the French Re-Import version?

LOL, yes, from "Le Crypt" .

#95 11 years ago

I forgot to add a Stern "The Pin" NIB to the list.

#96 11 years ago

Most of the pins being discussed here are actually *on route* in Milwaukee, and I've played them recently. Check out the Pin Map. It will give you an idea of what the machines are like and a close by place to try machines out.

If it was my money, I'd get a Shadow. I like superheroes, it has great music, cool features, and its tough so it builds your skills. It's a drain monster, but if it's at home it's on free play! If Adam Baldwin doesn't work for you (the problem with the translite is Baldwin is painted while the other characters are photographed - poor design choice), there are alternate translites on eBay.

#97 11 years ago
    Quoted from lpeters82:

I forgot to add a Stern "The Pin" NIB to the list.

lol

#98 11 years ago

Probably not helping but, the best machines for that price are the ones that sold for 1500 last year.

#99 11 years ago

Someone mentioned corvette...I just happen to have one for sale in Milwaukee and I'm looking for $2700. Let me know if you're interested in checking it out.

Dave

#100 11 years ago

Is your price range, definitely NGG. A blast to play...

There are 100 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/best-machines-for-2500-to-3000/page/2 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.