• Latest reply 10 years ago by Switch
  • Topic is favorited by 2 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMAG0475.jpg
IMG192.jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider swf127.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#21 10 years ago
Quoted from blondetall:

Possible alternate route:
My mom wanted a TAF. We went to the local retail store where they of course had high retail prices. She saw other machines cheaper, but that's the one she wanted. Then she found one elsewhere at 2/3rds of the retail price and thought it was a "deal" at around $6K shipped. (Granted, it is gorgeous and flawless, and I heard multiple times "If I'm getting one, I'm getting a NICE one.") Since then, she's bought RFM, MSF, PM, and Flintstones. Her reasoning for be able to buy them so easily is that "well, they're a lot cheaper than TAF." If she had started with the cheaper ones, I doubt that she would have worked her way up to paying that much more for TAF being just 1 machine when she could see what else she could get for the same money. Maybe if you start with the more/most expensive one you want, then the rest don't seem as bad. Your mileage may vary of course. Good luck to you either way!

I think Mom should watch this Ted Talk by Dan Gilbert. Entertaining and it'll cure her of that in 20 minutes flat. I'm not using tinyurl or equiv because I want to make it clear it's actually TED as opposed to some malware link.

http://www.ted.com/talks/dan_gilbert_researches_happiness.html?utm_source=email&source=email&utm_medium=social&utm_campaign=ios-share

#24 10 years ago
Quoted from blondetall:

I can't see the video here at work, but the "bad decisions" title makes me not want to watch it anyway.

Actually, it's a really good and entertaining talk and not meant as a slam. It talks about how people make purchasing decisions and how the "well it's a lot cheaper than TAF" thought process works. It's really brilliant and I think it's something everyone can benefit from watching. If it came off as me slamming Mom, it wasn't my intent. It's something almost all of us do at one time or another and all should be wary of.

And I'm sure picking up her cast off machines doesn't hurt.

Cheers!

#33 10 years ago

I keep hoping someone will say Haunted House. Great game but always seems to be crazy expensive relative to other pins of the era.

#37 10 years ago
Quoted from robx46:

3 Playfields, 8 flippers, & enough wires to wrap around the globe 10 times will do that to a game. Needless to say, it was a crazy expensive game for them to make as well, which is why its the only production pin in existence that uses that much wood.

I saw a mint one a few years ago and it played as well as it looked. Every one I've seen since hasn't been as nice and has had a higher asking price. DOH!

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 15.45
Gameroom - Decorations
KAHR.US Circuits

$ 27.95
Machine - For Sale
Allentown, PA
$ 18.95
$ 139.00
Cabinet - Other
Pinball Pimp

$ 10.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 165.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
DevilsMuse Arcade

Machine - For Sale
Leesburg, VA
Lighting - Led
Comet Pinball

$ 320.00
Playfield - Other
Avid Creations Wireforms

$ 119.99
Cabinet - (Alt) Translites
FlyLand Designs

$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 10.00
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Haus

$ 18.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

$ 14.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Westminster, MA
$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 18.50
Playfield - Plastics
Pinball Haus

$ 64.00
4,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Bay Shore, NY
$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 20.00
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Haus

$ 84.99
Playfield - Plastics
Gameroom Mods

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider swf127.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/best-machines-at-budget-price-points?tu=swf127 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.