Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 39 posts
  • 29 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 5 years ago by Dayhuff
  • Topic is favorited by 5 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

pasted_image (resized).png
    C0E3E758-94FF-4225-B49A-4E1FB29EE4AE (resized).jpeg
    KB_kellube_05 (resized).jpg
    images-10 (resized).jpg
    #1 6 years ago

Looking to buy some lube to get my spinners ripping. Can anyone make some recommendations on the proper lube to get?

Here is what I was looking at:

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Super-Lube-7ml-Precision-Oiler-Oil-with-Syncolon-PTFE-Lubricant-Per-Each-51010/202932717

Thanks in advance.

#2 6 years ago

I use silicone spray, put some in a paper plate and use a q-tip to apply to the spinner.

#3 6 years ago

I use this:
    ebay.com link: i

Looks very similar to the HD stuff you linked. The applicator works well.

#4 6 years ago

Super Lube
    https://www.amazon.com/Super-Lube-92003-Lubricating-Translucent/dp/B0081JE0OO/ref=sr_1_2

Take fine grit (300) sand paper to smooth out the tips of the spinner, then take a Q-tip to apply a very very small amount. You should not be able to see any lube. Viola! Juicy spinners!

#5 6 years ago

That will work BUT I found Zoom Oiler to be best. Plus great for many other things. I got mine at local hardware store.
    https://www.amazon.com/Supco-CE441-Zoom-Spout-Oiler/dp/B00DM8JK2G

IT JUST TAKES A VERY TINY TINY DROP on the spinner.

#6 6 years ago

there is a custom made lube or spinners here in the cleveland area. 2 words. Salas-Juice. The locals here will know

#7 6 years ago
    Quoted from Pmaino:

Looking to buy some lube to get my spinners ripping. Can anyone make some recommendations on the proper lube to get?
    Here is what I was looking at:
    https://www.homedepot.com/p/Super-Lube-7ml-Precision-Oiler-Oil-with-Syncolon-PTFE-Lubricant-Per-Each-51010/202932717
    Thanks in advance.

Honestly, I would try the super lube you found!

The gel form works great on other pinball items, but would be a bit too viscous for a spinner. The low resistance carrier for the Teflon in that version seems to work great for me on other delicate projects.

I think that the little oiler tip on that smaller bottle will work well for your application.

Obviously, regardless of what you use, make sure your spinner wires are clean/smooth/straight/etc as well.

Certainly let us know how it worked out!

#8 6 years ago

Thanks everyone for the quick responses.

#9 6 years ago

I use the Zoom Spout Oiler

#10 6 years ago

Astroglide or KY usually for a tight "spinner"

#11 6 years ago

I use 3-in-1 oil with the telescoping spout. One drop per side, clean up any excess (no visible oil volume when done).

#12 6 years ago
    Quoted from vdojaq:

Astroglide or KY usually for a tight "spinner"

Of course we all know vdojaq was talking about one of these to keep him occupied

images-10 (resized).jpgimages-10 (resized).jpg

#13 6 years ago

Anyone polish the spinner axles first then lube?

#14 6 years ago

I use Kellube. Mainly because of the awesome precision applicator but also because it's locally made a good stuff.

KB_kellube_05 (resized).jpgKB_kellube_05 (resized).jpg

#15 6 years ago
    Quoted from Gundam_Pilot_:

there is a custom made lube or spinners here in the cleveland area. 2 words. Salas-Juice. The locals here will know

+1 on the Salas Juice tip.

#16 6 years ago

Tri-Flow squeeze bottle for me. I think Were all using/saying about the same thing. Use a petroleum based PTFE added low viscosity oil. I have been using Tri-Flow for years on the same spinners and there is no build up etc- so I can say it works and is clean. I am sure all the other stuff works well too!

#17 6 years ago
    Quoted from turbo20lbs:

Anyone polish the spinner axles first then lube?

Quoted from FatPanda:

Super Lube
    amazon.com link »
    Take fine grit (300) sand paper to smooth out the tips of the spinner, then take a Q-tip to apply a very very small amount. You should not be able to see any lube. Viola! Juicy spinners!

#18 6 years ago

im a big fan of this stuff. http://a.co/eeDyFsR
    couple of drops on a Q-Tip and lightly touch both ends of the spinner and give it a spin.

#19 6 years ago
    Quoted from rufessor:

Tri-Flow squeeze bottle for me. I think Were all using/saying about the same thing. Use a petroleum based PTFE added low viscosity oil. I have been using Tri-Flow for years on the same spinners and there is no build up etc- so I can say it works and is clean. I am sure all the other stuff works well too!

I've used that tri-flow on other non pinball stuff and thought it was pretty good. I noticed if you use too much (like too big a drip and just leave it) it can leave a little (small amount) white residue. I'm wondering if it has a higher Teflon content or something (may be a good thing?).

I don't have my super lube products in front of me, but off hand, I was thinking those may be a silicone (not petroleum) base. Can't recall off hand...either way, just an observation. Both probably work very well in small quantity that would be needed.

I liked that OP had a link to super lube at a box store. I know harbor freight and ace hardware carry super lube products but unsure if they have the little tip one like that.

Is tri-flow sold in stores as well? I can't recall where I got mine, but thinking I ordered it.

#20 6 years ago

One application and you’ll never have to touch your spinner again.

C0E3E758-94FF-4225-B49A-4E1FB29EE4AE (resized).jpegC0E3E758-94FF-4225-B49A-4E1FB29EE4AE (resized).jpeg

#21 6 years ago
    Quoted from Gundam_Pilot_:

Great product! (if I don't say so myself)

#22 6 years ago

I use treadmill silicone lube.

But I'm curious what everyone else uses.

#23 6 years ago

Glad I saw this thread - I didn’t know this was a necessary thing for spinners! Perfect timing as I’m working on one right now..

#24 6 years ago

I have used superlube for over 20 years, think I am only on my second tube. (I have bigger toothpaste size tube). That's the stuff to use. Once applied it doesn't break down as fast as thinner naturals so it lasts forever.

#25 6 years ago
    Quoted from Rdoyle1978:

Glad I saw this thread - I didn’t know this was a necessary thing for spinners! Perfect timing as I’m working on one right now..

Personally, I don't feel it's "necessary" and I almost never do unless it is staying a bit sluggish/sticky no mater what else I do, but some people want the extra spin etc.

#26 6 years ago

I just use a small bit of Wax to lube spinners (and shooter rods).

#27 6 years ago
    Quoted from pacmanretro:

Personally, I don't feel it's "necessary" and I almost never do unless it is staying a bit sluggish/sticky no mater what else I do, but some people want the extra spin etc.

Seems like it would be more fun if the spinner goes nuts. The one on my MB was so gunked up the ball wouldnbrick on it almost every time. New decal, new lube! I wonder if it would reflect light from a spotlight well?

#28 6 years ago
    Quoted from Rdoyle1978:

Seems like it would be more fun if the spinner goes nuts. The one on my MB was so gunked up the ball wouldnbrick on it almost every time. New decal, new lube! I wonder if it would reflect light from a spotlight well?

I hear you. And, and I agree, certainly ripping that spinner is fun!

I typically have seen more reasons why it doesnt free spin due to exactly that; being gunked up, etc. Straight, unworn, cleaned well, etc seem to do pretty well and if you want super action above that a drop of lubricant probably doesnt hurt. But if it isn't spinning pretty free to start, there are other issues that oozing more oil over won't cure (in general I mean, not your MB per say).

I actually always wondered if the lubricant would just wind up attracting more dirt and grime, but it is such a tiny amount, it probably isn't all that significant.

#29 6 years ago

In my experience, I've never had to re-lube a spinner after the first time (using regular old 3-in-1 oil).
    I don't think the longevity argument is a factor. Even if I had to do it once every 5 years, I'm cleaning the game anyway by then I hope.

3 weeks later
    #30 6 years ago
    Quoted from stevevt:

I use this:
    ebay.com link
    Looks very similar to the HD stuff you linked. The applicator works well.

thanks for the link I am in need of something like this for my roadkings.
    blake

#31 6 years ago

I used 3n1 silicone on my spinners 2 weeks ago. What a difference!

#32 6 years ago
    Quoted from djreddog:

3n1 silicone on my spinners

HFS, that's awesome

Guess I need to break down and lube mine.

1 year later
    #33 5 years ago

Funny, I was the last post in this topic and now posting again... I had been using 3n1 (with no complaints), but just ordered me a super lube precision oiler, going to give it a go, curious to see if I notice a difference.

#34 5 years ago

where are you actually putting the oil/lube?

#35 5 years ago
    pasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).png
    #36 5 years ago

I use Franks Red Hot.

#38 5 years ago
    Quoted from Bud:

I use Franks Red Hot.

I put that shit on everything. Lol!

#39 5 years ago

I never use lube myself. (no pun intended). Just make sure there clean and lined up properly and balanced....
    That's all you need to do.

John

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/best-lube-for-spinners?hl=pmaino and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.