• 37 posts
  • 21 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 10 years ago by MapleSyrup
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

#1 10 years ago

Hey guys,

about to get a LOTR LE and wanted to know which lights you guys recommend for the game. I've read all of the debates on LED vs Incandescent...Seems this pin might be one of the few to leave incandescent. The machine I'm buying has LEDs in it, they add a lot of color, but sort of feel LOTR should have warm elements, not too much color. Can you guys with machines let me know which lights you use...and if I wanted to switch to the "warmest" colors possible, which bulbs should I buy and from where? Again, I'm super new to this, so apologize if I'm asking dumb questions. Just want to learn...

K

#2 10 years ago

I kept the inserts and flashers incandescent as I think they are bright enough in this pin plus you won't lose the light show. I use CT 2LED frosteds (or similar) in the GI. WW for the most part with some green in the POTD and red along the shooter.

#3 10 years ago

I actually like having the inserts LEDs and the GI incandescent. I think it makes the game pop in a way that's not tossing out that "factory" look.

#4 10 years ago

they make warm white LED as well. You may want to just buy a few bulbs in both LED and incandescent and then experiment and see what you like best. It is an art that needs to be pleasing to you. what I like may not necessarily be what you like

#5 10 years ago
Quoted from pinballsmith:

I actually like having the inserts LEDs and the GI incandescent. I think it makes the game pop in a way that's not tossing out that "factory" look.

That's usually the way I roll (CFTBL, TFTC etc..) but it's no joke when people say that LOTR looks FANTASTIC with all incandescents. It really does give a warm glow of middle earth. I have no desire at the moment to switch anything to LED and I am a huge LED guy. Even my Gorgar is LED'd out.

#6 10 years ago
Quoted from kaneda:

The machine I'm buying has LEDs in it, they add a lot of color, but sort of feel LOTR should have warm elements, not too much color. Can you guys with machines let me know which lights you use...a

The best way to fry this fish is get the pinball first and look at the LED conversion. Post photos so I can see what you have to give input. If you have photos from the seller . From reading your other post you might. Post a photo. I can tell you this much. I added a ton of color LED to my LOTR L.E. more than any other pinball in my collection. Look awesome . I call it the LOTR LE' Psychedelic Edition 'There are two places were LED's do not work on LOTR. #(1) 8-9 44/47 sockets along going up the shooter lane. LED's flicker very bad if used in those sockets. I took the 8-9 44 clear incandescent bulbs out and replaced then with orange colored 44 incandescent . Look great. # (2) on the playfield inserts I went all LED accept the GIFT from the Elves inserts leave those incandescent . For some reason after testing that is what looks best in the Gift insert . My machine can be seen at : http://www.cometpinball.com/

#7 10 years ago

My current pref on LOTR is all incandescent, but bling out the flasher behind the ring with something bright--white, yellow, or red. I currently have a color changer in the acrylic ball to bring a little more attention to the Palantir shot--but it looks a little out of place and will probably be coming back out.

Haven't explored warm LEDs yet, but I'm pretty sure that's going to be an inevitable swap out down the road.

#8 10 years ago

I have no idea what area of the playfield is called what...remember I'm so new. Can someone show a play field and arrow point which section is the GI, etc...Sorry, it's just a new language to me.

Also, where can I buy an entire LOTR incandescent set? Just want to have them on backup. Can someone list all of the bulbs I'd need w colors? If there's a set, that would be easiest.

K

#9 10 years ago

Get the pinballbulbs.com kit. Lays it all out for you and great lighting.

Just finished dropping in my RS kit and it looks great, to me, the best/sharpest lights and you can use the frosted and supers as one in the same by simply popping off the cap.

#10 10 years ago
Quoted from kaneda:

I have no idea what area of the playfield is called what...remember I'm so new. Can someone show a play field and arrow point which section is the GI, etc...Sorry, it's just a new language to me.
Also, where can I buy an entire LOTR incandescent set? Just want to have them on backup. Can someone list all of the bulbs I'd need w colors? If there's a set, that would be easiest.
K

GI is basically everything above the playfield and not the inserts. That's how I like to put it.

#11 10 years ago
Quoted from iceman44:

Get the pinballbulbs.com kit. Lays it all out for you and great lighting.
Just finished dropping in my RS kit and it looks great, to me, the best/sharpest lights and you can use the frosted and supers as one in the same by simply popping off the cap.

So go LED? Is that the kit you are recommending?

#12 10 years ago

I prefer the incandescents in my LE. I have a color changing led behind palantir and under the multiball inserts but that's it. If I ever get around to finishing my POTD mod I'll have a few more. Oh and the led in Balrog forgot about that. I'm going to pick up a cointaker to brighten that up. I find most led conversions in LOTR to look out of place, - Barry

#13 10 years ago

I did all warm white clear domed LEDs is mine, even in every insert(PotD excluded). Then I added the LEDOCD board. It is about as good as it can get IMO.

#14 10 years ago
Quoted from kaneda:

You said it had LED's in the machine.

Quoted from kaneda:

The machine I'm buying has LEDs in it

You do not do anything to it till you see it . Have photos of it . Or it is in your home . Then post a photo as I mentioned before. Do you have a photo of this machine you supposedly buying. So Post a picture of it .

Quoted from kaneda:

First off do your own LED conversion . Be creative . It is best to choose each LED and cheaper. More work. But gratifying . Secondly it has LED in it so WHY would you go buy a kit You are talking in circles Kaneda. I love LED and know a lot about them . I will help you all I can. But stop right now till I can see an image of this mystery machine.

#15 10 years ago

Game Exchange of Colorado LOTRL.E. with PinballBulbs . If it is a kit than I change my stance it look awesome. http://imgur.com/a/zNh9C#uqmDT20 My LOTR L.E. on Cometpinball site . http://www.cometpinball.com/category-s/1833.htm

#16 10 years ago

GI is short for General Illumination. It's basically all lights above the playfield (except for maybe the flashers). Then you've got the insert lights, and the backbox lights.

My LOTR is incandescent, which I think looks find so I'm not inclined to change it. However, if my LOTR already had LEDs when I bought it I would've left them in. It takes time and money to do a full lighting swap, so unless you think the LEDs are ugly I say leave them.

#17 10 years ago

I left my LE with all incandescents except for the 3 inserts for the multiballs. I put green for Fellowship, red for The Two Towers, and blue for Return of the King (to match the movie / dvd colors). I started a thread on it called "LOTR - quick, easy and cheap mod" with pics.

I like incandescents everywhere else as its warm, goldish in color and strobes great.

If I recall, all GI and inserts have the same bulbs. If you get the game and if you want them, l have a shitload of them you can have. Just let me know.

#18 10 years ago

Listen to RobKnapp Kaneda, he knows what he is talking about.

#19 10 years ago

I installed the Pinallbulbs kit in my lotr. I can say I am not a big fan of led's and I am considering taking them out and returning it to incandescent. It is the only pin I have that I can play with the room lights off. Just too bright for my taste and the colors are very exaggerated. Don't listen to anybody and make your own decision, it's a very personal choice.

#20 10 years ago
Quoted from RobKnapp:

You do not do anything to it till you see it . Have photos of it . Or it is in your home . Then post a photo as I mentioned before. Do you have a photo of this machine you supposedly buying. So Post a picture of it .

I want a photo of kaneda with current newspaper and a sign saying "I finally followed through and bought a pin."

#21 10 years ago

LOTR looks great with incandescent bulbs. If you're going to go LED you probably want an ledocd board and regular (not non-ghosting) leds. I've found that non-ghosting LEDs look particularly bad in this machine. LOTR has a lot of fade and ripple affects.

#22 10 years ago

LEDs with the OCD board is my favorite for LOTR.

#23 10 years ago

The LED kit from pinballbulbs is in mine and it is phenomenal! I was really hesitant to change from incandescents, but I couldn't be happier! Great kit and the led strip lighting they include is great! I'm just waiting for the guys t finish an IJ kit now......

#24 10 years ago
Quoted from Apollyon:

If I recall, all GI and inserts have the same bulbs

Come on Apollyon stop smoking that Northern Lights weed. You know that in LOTR The GI are 44/47 accept for the Pop bumpers. And the Controlled lamp / inserts are almost all 555.

Quoted from nsmith:Listen to RobKnapp Kaneda, he knows what he is talking about.

Thanks Chief !!

#25 10 years ago
Quoted from hollywood:

The LED kit from pinballbulbs is in mine and it is phenomenal! I was really hesitant to change from incandescents, but I couldn't be happier! Great kit and the led strip lighting they include is great! I'm just waiting for the guys t finish an IJ kit now......

These guys do a great job, I really couldn't agree more!

#26 10 years ago

cometpinball is another good source for LED's

#27 10 years ago
Quoted from RobKnapp:

Come on Apollyon stop smoking that Northern Lights weed. You know that in LOTR The GI are 44/47 accept for the Pop bumpers. And the Controlled lamp / inserts are almost all 555.

My mistake. It was off the top of my head and obviously an error. Thanks for pointing it out.

#28 10 years ago

does anyone sell an incandescent kit for LOTR or do you have to buy each bulb separately?

#29 10 years ago

Don't need a kit just standard bulbs 44/47 you can buy anywhere.

#30 10 years ago
Quoted from kaneda:

does anyone sell an incandescent kit for LOTR or do you have to buy each bulb separately?

As I mentioned in my previous post, if you buy the game (and prove it as other people have joked), let me know and I will give you the incandescent bulbs you need.

#31 10 years ago

An incandescent bulb is an incandescent bulb is an incandescent bulb. All you've got to do is make sure it has the right base and is the right size, then stick it in. Apollyon has offered some up, but here's a couple links so that you know how cheap/easy they are. I've gotten used sets from people here that have converted to LEDs and always keep a few on hand just in case something blows and needs immediate replacement, since my LEDs are usually so specalized. The packs of 100 below are around $7/pack.

If the game comes with an owners manual, there will be a bulb list somewhere in there to tell you what other sizes you'll need as far as flashers.

All bulb sizes: http://www.pinballlife.com/index.php?p=catalog&parent=3&pg=1

Bayonet/#44: http://www.pinballlife.com/index.php?p=product&id=2521

Wedge/#555: http://www.pinballlife.com/index.php?p=product&id=2525

#32 10 years ago
Quoted from blondetall:

An incandescent bulb is an incandescent bulb is an incandescent bulb. All you've got to do is make sure it has the right base and is the right size, then stick it in. Apollyon has offered some up, but here's a couple links so that you know how cheap/easy they are. I've gotten used sets from people here that have converted to LEDs and always keep a few on hand just in case something blows and needs immediate replacement, since my LEDs are usually so specalized. The packs of 100 below are around $7/pack.
If the game comes with an owners manual, there will be a bulb list somewhere in there to tell you what other sizes you'll need as far as flashers.
All bulb sizes: http://www.pinballlife.com/index.php?p=catalog&parent=3&pg=1
Bayonet/#44: http://www.pinballlife.com/index.php?p=product&id=2521
Wedge/#555: http://www.pinballlife.com/index.php?p=product&id=2525

Shhhhhh! I'm trying to sell him a kit!

#33 10 years ago
Quoted from jayhawkai:

Jayhawkai has absolutely the best incandescent bulb kits out there. I don't know of any other kits that are better than his.

#34 10 years ago
Quoted from jayhawkai:

I agree, Jayhawkai assembles the best incandescent kits on the market. You better buy one quickly before he signs a deal with an online retailer to exclusively sell his kits. Then you'll have to pay full price. Buy one today while the discount is still available

#35 10 years ago

you guys are too funny

#36 10 years ago
Quoted from Apollyon:

As I mentioned in my previous post, if you buy the game (and prove it as other people have joked), let me know and I will give you the incandescent bulbs you need.

I wouldn't pack them up yet........I believe we are all waiting for pictures.......However, if the OP did buy an LOTR it was a great choice as I picked one up along with a POTC this weekend and am thrilled with both pins. LOTR is a good complement to a game like IM in my opinion and it replaced my TSPP as I felt TSPP, TZ and LOTR all had similar type qualities and decided that TZ and LOTR would be the two "stop and go games" that I kept in my collection for some "diversity"....I prefer faster games but like some variety not and then....if I was limited to one pin personally I doubt LOTR would make the cut even though it is a great game but even for a "bad player" you can have really long games which get old after awhile.

#37 10 years ago

I used the Cointaker LED deluxe kit. Once I had them installed, I found the Fellowship member inserts were WAY too bright, and a little strobey, so I switched those back to incandescent. I also left much of the GI incandescent. LOTR has some great dimming effects that LEDs just can't do.

So, wait... Are you ACTUALLY buying a pin??!!

Haha. LOTR is a great place to start. Super deep. Amazing layout. Amazing integration of the theme. You can't go wrong.

Good luck.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 45.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 12.00
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Haus

$ 25.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PinWorlds

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
RamMods

$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

$ 8.99
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

€ 7.50
Playfield - Decals
Pin-Decals

$ 79.95
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
Pinball Life

$ 18.95
$ 29.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Haus

$ 120.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 49.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PinWorlds

Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

$ 259.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 19.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 200.00
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
WilliPinball Mods

$ 130.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Dijohn

$ 5.00
Cabinet - Other
Pinball Fuzz

$ 39.50
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
RamMods

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/best-lights-for-lotr and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.