(Topic ID: 56332)

Best LEDs for GI?

By Collin

10 years ago

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

#1 10 years ago

What LEDs do you all prefer for general illumination in your games?

I've been using Cointaker warm white retros, and thought they looked pretty good, but wonder if the cap on them actually disperses light to a wide enough area, since the LEDs are technically facing upward. Do you guys think those work well, or are there other LED solutions I should look into for GI?

In case it matters, the games in question are Williams DMDs and alphanumeric SS games.

#2 10 years ago

Too many opinions, but capless when you can't see the led, frosted when you can.

#3 10 years ago

I like Cointaker 170 deg bulbs for above the playfield

#4 10 years ago

I like the super brights with the cap on them as they tend to be brighter and then clear cap for those areas under a plastic not seen.

#5 10 years ago

Its really all subjective as to what looks best...

super bright warm white with a clear cap(retro) looks good to me.....

Your other options are Super bright warm white with a frosted cap, 2 3mm LEDs inside of a clear cap, Non ghosting bulb which is 2 smaller SMDs with a frosted cap.

Try ordering some samples and see what you like...

#6 10 years ago

I use a variety and that is why I usually keep around $1k in LEDs on hand as it is always best to have the ability to swap around colors and styles. I use ct frosted, supers, pbl 4 led...really depends on the game and where there are going.

#7 10 years ago

I prefer the ablaze non-ghosting ones from pinball life. They aren't super bright and don't make the playfield look too bright. I like the cointaker 89 flashers...those are bright, but I like my flashers to stick out a bit.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/best-leds-for-gi and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.