• 7 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 6 years ago by caligirl
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

#1 6 years ago

Hi all!

Just getting back into the hobby....

I picked up a Getaway that i'd like to outfit with LED's. Which brand is generally considered the best? I searched a bit on here but I don't think I'm using the search correctly.

Thanks for your help!

#2 6 years ago

I think Cointaker is the consensus pick here, plus you get a 15% discount by being on Pinside.

#3 6 years ago

Cointakers give lifetime warrenty as well, pinball life up there with them. Melissa is pretty good at cointakers and can look after you.

#4 6 years ago

In my own opinion, Cointaker's leds a surely the best.

#5 6 years ago
Quoted from bearsfan27:

I think Cointaker is the consensus pick here, plus you get a 15% discount by being on Pinside.

I didnt know you get a 15% discount...

#6 6 years ago

Thanks guys!

Another question, why do people use colored LED's under the inserts instead of just white like a normal incandescent would be?

#7 6 years ago

I'd suggest you buy a small assortment of bulbs to test with before you make a big order. Everyone's got their own preferences and you won't necessarily want to do the same thing for all games. Color matching can make a color more vibrant, but can sometimes make it too dull or dark where a white bulb looks better.

#8 6 years ago

First, DON'T buy a kit. They are a waste of money and you will likely end up with bulbs that someone else felt was best, which don't fit your choice of what is best.

Next, there are already many threads on the subject of LEDs, and some experienced, respectable people have already contributed thier 2¢ on the subject who have tired of the discussion and may not chime in on your thread. So the search feature is your friend.

Everyone on this site has an opinion based on their experience. Many will say Cointaker is best because they have been around for a longtime, and they are a respectable company, run by respectable people. They also give a discount to Pinside members. However they are on the high end of the price range. They also offer 'super brights' which in my opinion are too obnoxiously bright and gaudy for most applications. Not to say they don't have a use, but that, in my opinion I have been turned off by seeing them used in many applications. As a proffessional in the lighting industry, I can comfortably use the phrase 'brighter is not always better'.

Others will argue that Pinballbulbs is the best. They do offer versatility. They also recently gave away sample kits to Pinsiders, so that will influence people's opinions. I for one have yet to try their products.

There is also Ablaze/ pinball life. So far ,one of the most economical options.

There are also a couple other companies up and coming as well as established that sell their own versions of pinball LEDs.

If only doing one machine, then perhaps buying from one vendor is best, as far as cost perspective, and saving on shipping cost. However I have yet to do any one machine with only one brand...but then I do bulk buys as so far I have done 15 machines and have 12 more to go.

Ablaze concaves are great for insert lights. And for most applications are bright enough and provide enough spread to do the job. Some inserts may require 'flex' LEDs for use around under playfield hardware, or sideways mounted bases. For these, Nifty, or Cointaker are best.
For colored lane guides or pop bumpers, Cointaker frosted are best. Nifty frosteds have a taller dome, so they do not fit in most pop bumpers, but they are great of 'billboards' or visable, above playfield feature lights.

While I believe Cointaker was the first to offer retro' LEDs...in my opinion, Nifty's version is a bit better, and is priced better. 'Retro' bulbs are meant to replicate incandescent bulbs. Also, to be aware of in regards to GI lights, is weather to go with cool white or warm white bulbs...something that has been discuased here in other threads.

Some will argue to use frosted LEDs for GI lights. In my opinion, they are fine for areas where the bulbs are not actually seen. But for those places that bulbs are visible, I prefer 'retro' bulbs.

I am not technically familiar with Getaway? Is it a system 11? When it comes to converting flasher lamps to LEDs, be warned that not all games take well to this conversion. I have experienced this most with system 11games, but it may apply to other systems. Again, already threads on this subject for you to search and read.

As for color matching of inserts...because many inserts have faded color over their lifespan. Color matching really helps make the colors more vibrant, and enhances the overall artwork.

Understand that LEDs do not have a smooth dimming curve, and thus can appear to be 'flashing' more so than incandescent bulbs. Also some people are succeptable to seeing 'strobing' from LEDs, that is because of the technology of LEDs in general, and not something that can be easily fixed. This is a serious issue for some, and unfortunately there is no easy solution to this problem. LEDs are yet to be perfected to be exact rreplacements for incandescent lamps, so you can either embrace the benefit of having them in your game, or you can be like others and get nit picky over how they are not exactly perfect.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 15.75
Cabinet Parts
Tilted Pinball

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside