• Topic is favorited by 3 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

abl_gb_wedge.jpg
ps-cars.gif
#1 11 years ago

The bulbs that are in the eyes now are red painted #44 standard bulbs. What came factory? Whats the best LED to use? Suggestions? What looks nice?

#2 11 years ago

Cointaker frosted red

#3 11 years ago

I'd pull the head off the playfield, but that's just me. I think it looks better without.

#4 11 years ago
Quoted from the_pin_family:

The bulbs that are in the eyes now are red painted #44 standard bulbs. What came factory? Whats the best LED to use? Suggestions? What looks nice?

Never thought about those bulbs! Yeah, LED's would look great in there! I'm gonna try it..er, if I can figure out how to change them. (I take it you have to get the skull off...)

#5 11 years ago

Red, coloured incandescents.

The LED's are too bright and don't look right IMO, especially when the bulbs aren't lit.

http://s420.photobucket.com/albums/pp289/mslave/T2/

#6 11 years ago
Quoted from pinball_customs:

The LED's are too bright and don't look right IMO, especially when the bulbs aren't lit.

That's what's there now and it looks good. I couldn't find them at first but there here

http://www.marcospecialties.com/control/keywordsearch;jsessionid=E0D4448D6EEB18E26350B2230648C7AB.jvm1?SEARCH_STRING=red+%2347

#7 11 years ago
Quoted from Tommi_Gunn:

I'd pull the head off the playfield, but that's just me. I think it looks better without.

Yes, you're the nut that keeps saying to strip off every toy off every pin. This is crazy ridiculous talk no one wants to hear. Most of us add toys and think they improve the game. No one is going to strip the game so it looks like an old EM or something and think it's better... no one but you.

Quoted from pinball_customs:

Except the cointaker frosted bulbs. They don't have any of these issues. And when lit, they glow really well - much better than incandescents. They are not bright to the eyes to look at directly.

#8 11 years ago

I would stay away from the LED's there. I would put a #44 with a red condom on it. The LED's will be to bright

#9 11 years ago

Cointaker now has clear-dome LEDs that might look pretty good.

I used two of the clear-dome red 555s in the top of the gate ("flames") on JP and I really like how they look.

RussM

#10 11 years ago
Quoted from markmon:

Except the cointaker frosted bulbs. They don't have any of these issues. And when lit, they glow really well - much better than incandescents. They are not bright to the eyes to look at directly.

But the bulb is white when it's not lit isn't it?

The game I had had some coloured incandescent bulbs in a few choice GI locations as well as the T-800's eyes.. looked amazing when played, IMO.

#11 11 years ago

I went with with the cointakers red LEDs. They are bright, but its suppose to be!

#12 11 years ago
Quoted from markmon:

Tommi_Gunn said:

Yes, you're the nut that keeps saying to strip off every toy off every pin. This is crazy ridiculous talk no one wants to hear. Most of us add toys and think they improve the game. No one is going to strip the game so it looks like an old EM or something and think it's better... no one but you.

Apparently, you're ultra-sensitive when anyone disagrees with you, or your just an angry guy. It's common in your threads. I never seen a grown man defend action figures and toys as much as you do. Everyone does what they want to their games, who cares. It shouldn't matter to you. Not everyone shares your opinion. Most people need something to make them feel important, and this hobby, might be your claim to fame. I won't discourage you. Whatever makes you feel special, Mark. Keep at it with the comments. Defend this hobby with a vengeance, and be the voice of the little people. I'll just ignore it from here on out.

#13 11 years ago

I have regular bulbs with red condoms. It looks good. I haven't seen it with LEDs. I'm a huge fan of LEDs but not exposed LEDs. Even if they are frosted, I don't like them if they are pointed at me. It annoys the S#%T out of me. I put LEDs that were exposed in my LAH and then put a condom over those and they actually look pretty cool. I think I might try that in my T2 tonight...

#14 11 years ago

Yeah, I'll give it a try. I just got the mod from the UK today. (the exoskeleton with glowing eyes and glow in chest)

#15 11 years ago

Oh sweet. Take a pic of that and post it on this thread!

#16 11 years ago
Quoted from spfxted:

Yeah, I'll give it a try. I just got the mod from the UK today. (the exoskeleton with glowing eyes and glow in chest)

I want to see.......
I was looking at some pics of a t2 with condoms on the eyes and I didn't like it. Made him look bug eyed.

#17 11 years ago

I'll post pix when I get it installed. (I might try this myself, as I've been told even an idiot could do it)

ps-cars.gifps-cars.gif

5 months later
#18 11 years ago

I know this is an old post, but I've been experimenting and found that I really like the cointaker 90 degree LEDs for the skull eyes - http://shop.cointaker.com/category.sc?categoryId=120. I also tried the cointaker frosted and retro LEDs but liked the 90 degrees ones best.

#19 11 years ago

I tried about 6 different LED's. These were the best of the group (ghostbusters red 555).

Not too bright and they dont ghost like CT's.

Pinball life sells them.

abl_gb_wedge.jpgabl_gb_wedge.jpg

#20 11 years ago
Quoted from JDub1006:

I tried about 6 different LED's. These were the best of the group (ghostbusters red 555).
Not too bright and they dont ghost like CT's.
Pinball life sells them.

Why does ghosting matter for the eyes? Aren't they always lit while playing? I think the only time they are off is in attract mode.

#21 11 years ago

cointaker red frosted led wont be as bright as unfrosted. thats what i used

#22 11 years ago

Ive tried a few LEDs, red incandescence and the red bulb covers. I like the red incandescences by a landslide.

#23 11 years ago
Quoted from flashburn:

Why does ghosting matter for the eyes? Aren't they always lit while playing? I think the only time they are off is in attract mode.

The eyes should not light until you hit the target??

#24 11 years ago

I use the factory stock 555s with red bulb condoms. Looks best IMO...

#25 11 years ago
Quoted from JDub1006:

The eyes should not light until you hit the target??

Mine are always lit once a game starts.

Youtube video shows the same thing:

#26 11 years ago

I'd have to go back and look but I believe mine are always lot also. Different software versions?

#27 11 years ago

I used the 555 Cointaker Frosted. Cointaker just released the Non Ghosting versions of their forsted bulbs. So now you can use then for the feature lamps above ramps and such.

#28 11 years ago

I just put two of Cointaker's Retro Red LED bulbs. They look great! They are not covered with red on the outside, but they still look great! There is a slight ghost effect where there is just a hint of them being on...until the game starts and they power up fully. I really like the effect. Much better than some of the other solutions I've seen.

2 weeks later
#29 11 years ago

I wound up going with red incandescents with red bulb covers. I really like the way it looks both lit and unlit.

#30 11 years ago
Quoted from Napabar:

I just put two of Cointaker's Retro Red LED bulbs.

I did this as well. Light ghosting, but they look cool. I like that they are clear when turned off and then turn red when they come on. Mine stay on during gun and only turn off between games.

#31 11 years ago

I used red stock #555s. Actually I removed condoms from all my Williams games (TAF, WW, FH and T2) and put in the actual suggested colored bulb. I think it looks awesome -- especially FH as it gives that true carnival look. I think red #555's look way better than red condoms in the T2 skull. I can't comment on LEDs as I haven't done this to any of my games.

#32 11 years ago

I went with CT red super brights. It isn't that distracting, and gives it a cool T2 look. In the movie they really seem to shine, so I thought mine ought to as well. I' a big fan of using the willams/bally the non-ghosting ROMs so I didn't have to worry about that any flicker.

2 weeks later
#33 11 years ago

As far as them being on all the time, they go out when the ball is loaded into the cannon on my T2

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 19.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 49.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

Machine - For Sale
West Chicago, IL
$ 49.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 27.95
4,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Cleveland, OH
$ 9.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

Flipper Parts
Precision Pinball prod.

$ 39.99
Rubber/Silicone
NO GOUGE PINBALL™

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 10.00
Playfield - Decals
UpKick Pinball

$ 14.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 21.95
Playfield - Other
Arcade Upkeep

$ 259.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 15.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

$ 36.00
Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 9.95
$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 329.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

Playfield - Decals
Pinball Invasion

$ 99.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/best-ledbulb-for-t2-skull-eyes and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.