View topic image gallery

BD538490-83D4-4DC5-B3F7-E496C63E910E (resized).jpeg
70EA926D-D1BB-4D90-84B8-CE89C191897F (resized).jpeg
94B46DB2-4F22-44DE-9D65-39B2D3A2E12E (resized).jpeg
8DC30052-153C-4392-B9C1-155B68101872 (resized).jpeg
724DA488-4345-42EA-BE5A-B077F8A41C43 (resized).jpeg
ACACFAF2-1448-4153-9E30-525DD085E0F0 (resized).jpeg
#1 3 years ago

I have used kits from pinballbulbs and cointaker and am satisfied with both although
I think I like the pinballbulb kits a bit better.

Looking for some thoughts on these as well as others like comet and pinstadium.

#2 3 years ago

I like the quality of Comet’s bulbs better than anything else available

#4 3 years ago

That is probably the better way to go in the long run but I installed a pinball bulbs kit in my Scared Stiff
and I thought it came out pretty good (I did change a few things around to suit my taste).
I don't have a lot of machines or time/money to assemble a kit for the few machines I do want to mod.
The kits are easier for me and I was just wondering what others have had the best experience with.

#5 3 years ago

Buying kits is for suckers imo

#6 3 years ago

Kits are too expensive. For my tastes it’s easy. Buy frosted warm white smd bulbs and put them everywhere. That way you’ll always have them and you can use them in every game.

#7 3 years ago

I'm in the process of converting the existing LEDs in my Pinbot and Bride of Pinbot to Comet LEDs. I ordered some grab bag bulb kits from them as well as a selection of the white intensities and colors to test out.

I think the 2SMD sunlight frosted bulbs look the best so I'm going to replace all the existing colored and cool white general illumination bulbs with Comet 2SMD sunlight frosted bulbs. I guess I'll see how it goes.

#8 3 years ago
Quoted from jjga:

I'm in the process of converting the existing LEDs in my Pinbot and Bride of Pinbot to Comet LEDs. I ordered some grab bag bulb kits from them as well as a selection of the white intensities and colors to test out.
I think the 2SMD sunlight frosted bulbs look the best so I'm going to replace all the existing colored and cool white general illumination bulbs with Comet 2SMD sunlight frosted bulbs. I guess I'll see how it goes.

Its all I use, for 98%. All Sunlight, or all Warm, depending on taste, game, and lighting.

But Im biased towards the Kelvin of Sunlight for a reason.

Some games then benefit for some color here or there or Flex, but almost perfect for most all games....

Easy.

#9 3 years ago
Quoted from jjga:

Let me know how it turns out. I may be doing a BOP soon and would like to see some different led schemes.

#10 3 years ago

Comet's kits of bulk white bulbs are the best!

#11 3 years ago
Quoted from tbonedrums:

That is probably the better way to go in the long run but I installed a pinball bulbs kit in my Scared Stiff
and I thought it came out pretty good (I did change a few things around to suit my taste).
I don't have a lot of machines or time/money to assemble a kit for the few machines I do want to mod.
The kits are easier for me and I was just wondering what others have had the best experience with.

you have the time (it only takes 10 minutes to count all the bulbs) and it wont cost you much more to buy a few extras
you know what works for Scared Stiff, and your other games should be simpler to color coordinate

#12 3 years ago

I replaced a bunch of LED color matched bulbs with Comet LED warm whites in my TZ and I was amazed at how much better the colored inserts popped with the warm white LED's vs colored LED, especially the reds and oranges. I did put a couple blue and pink blubs in my white inserts just for fun, but those are easy to swap out.

#13 3 years ago

So.... Just buy a shit ton of comet whites in different variations and try that??

#14 3 years ago

The best LED kits are ones you make for yourself. However, if you must go with someone's pre-packaged kit, then I would recommend Comet.

#15 3 years ago

I have learned a lot in just a short time on this topic.
Thanks

#16 3 years ago
Quoted from tbonedrums:

So.... Just buy a shit ton of comet whites in different variations and try that??

if you only want white then decide if you like warm white (looks more like original incandesants) cool white (kinda blueish) or natural white
I prefer warm white on all games (except for ironman, cool white looks like the arc reactor)
then buy bulk in wedge and bayonet

#17 3 years ago
Quoted from tbonedrums:

Yeah. I say if you want to find the spectrum of white you like buy a 25 pack of cool, warm and sunlight and decide which you like better.

Also always go frosted. Clear is hard on the eyes if you can see the bulb and frosted spreads the light better.

Pro tip. Do this before Black Friday. They always have a big sale. Then when you figure out what you like, buy a ton of them on Black Friday.

#18 3 years ago

Are the comet bulbs non ghosting?

#19 3 years ago

Not all are ghosting. Best to check before buying.

#20 3 years ago

100% go with Comet. Can't recommend them enough.

Also, I think they are having a Black Friday sale so you might want to wait and see what the deal is.

#21 3 years ago

I bought a "kit" off eBay for $153 for my Comet. It puked out the machine so bad I ended up buying other bulbs from Comet and using about 10%, if that,of the ebay bulbs. Total waste of money on the kit. Buy from comet and experiment a little, look at what others have done and you'll find your sweet spot.

#22 3 years ago

I second, third, etc. that Comet LEDs are the best. I wish they had kits even though people have said they are for suckers. It would have prevented two extra orders with wasted shipping cost because I messed up my count/base type.

#23 3 years ago
Quoted from RyanStl:

I wish they had kits even though people have said they are for suckers.

I think they do.

https://www.cometpinball.com/collections/pinball-led-kits

#24 3 years ago
Quoted from tbonedrums:

Are the comet bulbs non ghosting?

You’ll have to specifically select that type. But yes they have them. You don’t have to worry about ghosting in most 90s games and maybe only a few inserts will do it. Buy normal bulbs, then if you see ghosting in some inserts, replace with non ghosting.

#25 3 years ago
Quoted from RyanStl:

I second, third, etc. that Comet LEDs are the best. I wish they had kits even though people have said they are for suckers. It would have prevented two extra orders with wasted shipping cost because I messed up my count/base type.

Buy them in the 100s and this won’t happen. Better to have too many than too few.

I buy like 1000 bulbs for Black Friday and it lasts me like two years.

#26 3 years ago

Sorry for the fake news, you are right. They didn't have one for my game. Plus I remember my game had some LEDs already when I bought (primarily in backbox), so I didn't want a whole kit.

#27 3 years ago
Quoted from tbonedrums:

Let me know how it turns out. I may be doing a BOP soon and would like to see some different led schemes.

I’ll get some before/after shots up, probably over the weekend.

#28 3 years ago

I've never bought a kit. Normally I buy 100 packs of Comet LEDs. For older games I use the Sunlight. For newer games or games with space theme like Meteor or Black Hole, I use the natural bulbs. For backboxes, I generally use the retro LEDs because they are not too bright and lessen the reflection of the backglass off the playfield glass. Never go too bright on the backbox/translight. I very rarely use even a single colored LED.

#29 3 years ago

Love Comet sunlight bulbs. Check your socket type for GI, inserts, and back box. I also like the frosted 2 SMD colored LEDs for some controlled playfield inserts. Experimentation is key. Also check if you need any flex style for lighting saucers or other inserts.

#30 3 years ago

Just a suggestion to also buy the trough light and some spotlights from comet. I like playing with the lights off and most games made before the year 2000 are just too dark.

I also really like the evo pop bumper caps that pinball life carries. they are $$$. But this is a hobby and it’s cheaper than booze so...what the F, I say!

#31 3 years ago

The title of this thread make it seem like something available from Hammacher Schlemmer.

#32 3 years ago

Warm white Retro in NB and FPII:
724DA488-4345-42EA-BE5A-B077F8A41C43 (resized).jpeg724DA488-4345-42EA-BE5A-B077F8A41C43 (resized).jpeg
ACACFAF2-1448-4153-9E30-525DD085E0F0 (resized).jpegACACFAF2-1448-4153-9E30-525DD085E0F0 (resized).jpeg

Warm white 2 smd in TFPRO and TA:
94B46DB2-4F22-44DE-9D65-39B2D3A2E12E (resized).jpeg94B46DB2-4F22-44DE-9D65-39B2D3A2E12E (resized).jpeg8DC30052-153C-4392-B9C1-155B68101872 (resized).jpeg8DC30052-153C-4392-B9C1-155B68101872 (resized).jpeg

Just buy Comet warm/cool white in either 2 smd or, sometimes “retro”. I can’t stand colored LEDs. I’ve used CT, cheaper PBL, and kits from pinball bulbs and other places and do not like any of them at all. Oh, and I hate LED flashers too. All of them are overpriced, none of them make the game play better. You are better off buying quality. Comet Comet Comet.

#33 3 years ago

Yeah. Led flashers should be outlawed. Leave those incandescent always.

#34 3 years ago
Quoted from tbonedrums:

This is 2SMD frosted sunlight under all the plastic. 1SMD frosted sunlight on the skillshot ramp. A disaster of sadness on the helmet.

Having some intensity issues with the left Light under the flipper lane and under the ramp so those are dim right now.

70EA926D-D1BB-4D90-84B8-CE89C191897F (resized).jpeg70EA926D-D1BB-4D90-84B8-CE89C191897F (resized).jpeg
#35 3 years ago

Fixed the two dim ones on the left.

BD538490-83D4-4DC5-B3F7-E496C63E910E (resized).jpegBD538490-83D4-4DC5-B3F7-E496C63E910E (resized).jpeg
2 years later
#36 5 months ago

Hi can anyone confirm if comet 1smds will work on bop without flicker issues plz

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 9.95
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 9.95
3,700 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Memphis, TN
$ 199.95
Electronics
PinSound

Cabinet - Toppers
+CY Universal

$ 1.00
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 1.25
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 9.99
$ 27.95
$ 170.00
Displays
Digipinball Shop

$ 20.00
Playfield - Decals
DevilsMuse Arcade

£ 69.00
Playfield - Other
PinballToys

$ 250.00
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

$ 200.00
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Westminster, MA
$ 399.00
Cabinet - Decals
Mircoplayfields

$ 1.00
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

Flipper Parts
Precision Pinball prod.

£ 58.00
Lighting - Led
PinballToys

3,850 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Firestone, CO
Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/best-led-kits-1 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.