(Topic ID: 130762)

Best LED Kits?

By drjbeyer

8 years ago

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

famguy-pf.jpg
    Jackbot.jpg
    popeye-full.jpg
    lastactionhero-pf.jpg
    indianajonesstern-pf.jpg
    highspeed_full.jpg
    #1 8 years ago

Hello everyone, first post here - been on RGP for years but this seems like a great place with gerat people and lots of useful info.

Not looking to start a firestorm - but I it seems as though there are a lot of LED kits out there. I got one for my WH2O, and the documentation was fair at best (some bulbs were missing and others didn't have a "place") and I e-mailed the company twice for help to no avail..

Looking to LED my TSPP and FG so any suggestions would be welcomed.

Thanks for the input.

-Jeff

#2 8 years ago

Pinballbulbs

#3 8 years ago

The best kit, IMO, is the one you make yourself to your own tastes.

#4 8 years ago

I've had good luck doing two complete games (Space Shuttle and Whirlwind, minus flashers) by customizing the $99 starter kits from Comet Pinball. The starter kit includes a base selection of colors, but Art will customize it to your whims if you know and tell him what you want (X of this color, Y of that color, etc). My first order I was a total n00b and he actually called me at home to explain the bulbs and walk me through the process - that's service! With the extras left over I had a few spares and was able to experiment and customize a bit.

And $99 was far less than any "ready made complete" kit I've seen from the other vendors, although these are standard bulbs so if you're worried about ghosting and such, maybe the pricier kits address that. In my case, the minimal ghosting I've seen (mostly just a couple inserts on WW) hasn't bothered me personally. So if you're willing to do a little leg work by counting colors and inserts, Comet is definitely the way I'd go.

Not a shill in the least, just a very satisfied customer.

#5 8 years ago

What he said. The light strips and spots are awesome. Good customer service as well and extra bulbs. Comet has awesome cust service and prices as well just have not tried a kit from them.

There's a number of threads already covering this I believe. Everyone has a diff opinion. You won't get one straight answer. I have done 3 pin bulbs kits and am very happy with them

#6 8 years ago

Also, I would recommend not getting non ghosting bulbs at first. Get all regular LEDs then see which ones ghost and replace them individually later. Much cheaper than going all non ghosting.

#7 8 years ago

Everyone is going to have their opinion of what is best. There are many ways of getting LEDs in to your game.

Kits: for me or not for me? That is the question...

You may be wondering if a kit is what you really want or not. Why have a pinball LED kit? What’s the benefit? Are they easy to install? These are all valid questions, so let’s take a look and the features and benefits of kits.

Kits simply off the convenience of everything you need in one bag. No need to think about what color goes where or which bulb is needed. The legwork has already been done for you. Your Nifty LED pinball LED kit will come complete with instructions on where to put each bulb so you don’t have to worry about it. General Illumination will not be shown in the diagram since they’re pretty much self-explanatory and same goes for the backbox lighting.

If you’re looking for more of a custom style and don’t mind counting out your bulbs on your own, then you may want to consider buying individually. This allows for some personalization and adding touches of color here and there, that will not likely be offered in the kit.

Another option is to buy the kit so that you have the instruction sheet and then to add a few more bulbs to touch up your look with a bit of color here and there. This also allows for a bit of experimenting, seeing which lights and colors you like best.

#8 8 years ago

Nifty, Do you have any pics of what your kits look like in a game?
    Or can you request them via email?

#9 8 years ago
    Quoted from Starscream:

Nifty, Do you have any pics of what your kits look like in a game?
    Or can you request them via email?

We do not have pictures. Unfortunately LEDs in Pinballs do not really photograph well.

#10 8 years ago

Kits are that tricky beast everyone loves or hates.We went a different route with our kits and give them their own complete look. All our kits come with full bulbs for inserts, backbox, gi and flashers of course, but also extra items. The extras are what really brings the game to life and make our "look" happen. We include no solder spotlight kits and led strips to fully illuminate your game and give it a full transformation.

As mentioned above pics don't always do games full justice, but they are on our site for each kit here pinballbulbs.com/led-kits

Our kit prices are also either lower or highly competitive with other kits on the market, and only ours come with the extras we created. Each kit is also led'd in person in our shop so we can play with colors and experiment. All of our kits are non-ghosting since we do them in our shop, not from a manual or anything. If they need non-ghosting bulbs they come with it.

We currently go to the NW pinball show with our games that have kits and will be going to California Extreme this year as well. If you are local to any of those definitely stop by our booth and check out the kits in person, you'll see how much different they can be than the pictures.

In the end if you like to play around with colors and styles and really make it your own, Art over at Comet has some neat "kits" of 100+~ or so bulbs you can get and plug in for a good price.

We just had a kit sale that ended sunday with a free kit giveaway too. Just missed it!

Threw in some examples below - we do carry both kits you mentioned

highspeed_full.jpghighspeed_full.jpg
    indianajonesstern-pf.jpgindianajonesstern-pf.jpg
    Jackbot.jpgJackbot.jpg
    lastactionhero-pf.jpglastactionhero-pf.jpg
    popeye-full.jpgpopeye-full.jpg
    famguy-pf.jpgfamguy-pf.jpg

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/best-led-kits and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.