Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 18 posts
  • 12 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 2 years ago by jawjaw
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

#1 2 years ago

Recently purchased a minty TZ machine. It's all original except the clock has been upgraded. I'd like to replace the bulbs with LEDs to eliminate GI connector burning and warping of plastics. Recommendations on a kit? Anything else to look for/upgrade?

#2 2 years ago

I would do Comet frosted above playfield and clear under. I color match under except use warm white under yellow. Above I used frosted colors that matched original colors. I never use kits.

I like Perfect Play rubber. Titan rubber is also recommended. Many nice colors to choose.

#3 2 years ago

skip the kit .... buy the warm white frosted for GI ... I color match under the playfield , and surprisingly I use pink under ornge to get a crisp orange color

#4 2 years ago

No kits.
    Warm Comet frosted 47s & 555 packs

#5 2 years ago

Don't buy a kit. Kits are for suckers and they almost always look like clown puke garbage.

Go to comet, buy a bunch of 2smd sunlight LED's for the GI. Buy 1 SMD or Retro bulbs in sunlight for the backbox (or you can use the 2 SMD I just like dimmer bulbs in the backbox so I get less glare). Then you can either color match the inserts (use pink or warm white under orange and yellow, do not use orange or yellow LED's, they are DIM) with 2 SMD bulbs, or take the easy way out and buy all warm white 2 smd bulbs for under the inserts. Both will look great! Pretty much only use frosted bulbs for everything.

#6 2 years ago

Forget the kit.

#7 2 years ago

Can anyone confirm number of each type of bulb? Manual is not always correct based on experience.

#8 2 years ago

Thanks guys. Also is the color DMD worth it for TZ?

#9 2 years ago

Color DMD's are always great if you can justify the cost.

2 SMD comet frosted warm white for all GI sockets. Only thing you need for every game in your collection. I buy them by the 1000's. If you feel the need to use color behind inserts. Color match with 1 SMD frosted. You don't want inserts overly bright.

#10 2 years ago

I typically do 2smd frosted lens gi and 1smd clear lens inserts. I do color match inserts except for orange/yellow where warm looks better. I highly recommend using flex leds for inserts with bulbs not pointing directly at inserts like mini pf. You can point these leds where you want so you can better control the lighting. They also make good spotlights in tight spaces. Look through Comet's website. Lots of cool stuff.

Colordmd's is nice but it's up to you on whether having color is worth the cost. One advantage is that it does not use high voltage like the dmd display. IMO, the ocd boards are a more worthy upgrade. They allow dimming for leds and fix all issues with flickering and ghosting. Not only that but allow customizing brightness of each bulb.

#11 2 years ago
    Quoted from rue_:

Also is the color DMD worth it for TZ?

Fo sho

#12 2 years ago
    Quoted from rue_:Thanks guys. Also is the color DMD worth it for TZ?

I would and I did. both my Indiana Jones and TZ have them and my Who Dunnit next.

#13 2 years ago
    Quoted from rue_:

Color DMD is great in TZ. Mine was set on small dots.

#14 2 years ago

I’ve a bunch of 90s pins and always resisted leds because I like the warm feel of incandescents however some good advice in this thread and I’m going to sample the warm white frosteds for gi and see how I like it. Ones I’ve seen I am not sure what they are using. I also really dislike the ball trail effects I see with some leds. Is that what “non ghosting” is meant to address?

#15 2 years ago
    Quoted from jackd104:

resisted leds because I like the warm feel of incandescent

Not knocking incandescent bulbs... but the upside is lower heat.lower power draw. And having that one bulb that you can never access in the corner go out five minutes of you completed your shop job .

#16 2 years ago
    Quoted from Skatewake:

... and my Who Dunnit next.

You should swap one over to W?D now, some of the best dots ever!

Quoted from jackd104:

I also really dislike the ball trail effects I see with some leds. Is that what “non ghosting” is meant to address?

This can be an eyesight issue to be honest.
    Much like the 'Screen door effect' some eyes can be affected diff'rently.
    I've only seen ball trails on 1 machine in decades

#17 2 years ago
    Quoted from rue_:

Do it and don’t look back.

#18 2 years ago
    Quoted from jackd104:

I’ve a bunch of 90s pins and always resisted leds because I like the warm feel of incandescents however some good advice in this thread and I’m going to sample the warm white frosteds for gi and see how I like it. Ones I’ve seen I am not sure what they are using. I also really dislike the ball trail effects I see with some leds. Is that what “non ghosting” is meant to address?

Ghosting is when a led bulb never completely turns off. Bulbs will be slightly lit when they should be off. Non ghosting bulbs solve this by adding resistor that requires higher voltage to turn on bulb. Flickering is caused by games dimming effects. Leds cannot handle the way incandescent dims and rapidly turn on and off. Fix for that is turning off dimming effects and power saving mode. If you get ocd boards, it solves all these issues and you get stock dimming effects.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/best-led-kit-for-tz and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.